Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Syrian refugee crisis.

Syrian refugee crisis.

Old Sep 11th 2015, 2:05 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Syrian refugee crisis.

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Surely as I am employed as a Govt worker how dare you suggest that I have the individual intelligence to come up with an answer to the 4 questions on my own.
Im trained to do and not ask questions that are above my pay grade and intellectual abilities.
Poking fun all round, all in good spirit ...

You being a seasoned forum member, a Canadian & one that seemingly takes or pokes fun as 'taking the bait', one who was specific with a 4 point question - I suppose it is asking too much of your intelligence to answer those 4 points

Leave the 'what I read' , links to some media or the politics behind, as a indiviual (take off your 'paid by the taxpayer' employee CBSA hat for a second) and give us the baited answers to the 1-4 questions you so laughingly baited us with.

I'll make this my last shot at trying to get FL to provide his direct pointed answers to the 1-4 questions

Last edited by not2old; Sep 11th 2015 at 2:08 pm.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 2:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old

You being a seasoned forum member, a Canadian & one that seemingly takes or pokes fun as 'taking the bait', one who was specific with a 4 point question - I suppose it is asking too much of your intelligence to answer those 4 points

Leave the 'what I read' , links to some media or the politics behind, as a indiviual (take off your 'paid by the taxpayer' employee CBSA hat for a second) and give us the baited answers to the 1-4 questions you so laughingly baited us with.

I'll make this my last shot at trying to get FL to provide his direct pointed answers to the 1-4 questions
1. Zero Govt sponsored refugees from Syria. Those who wish to privately sponsor them well fill your boots with as many as you can as you agree to support them.

2. If they are privately sponsored then no Govt money is required so its a zero cost to the Govt. According to the debt clock we owe quite a bit of money and our credit cards are maxed out.

3. They settle wherever their sponsors live.

4. No priority required as they are being privately sponsored.

Now cue all the you heartless bar steward comments and have you no compassion etc etc.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 2:20 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
You frequently in my humble opinion respond in a somewhat arrogant and belligerent manner, I chose my word carefully having read many of your recent posts. It has nothing to do with friendliness nor unfriendliness, just an observation that I felt was appropriate.
You are entitled to your opinion.

I'm not really much of an egg shell walker these days so forgive me as my style will probably not change all that much.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 2:27 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by confused_uk
Also googled it, if you get past the DM article others are saying 1500/2000+. No one knows the exact numbers. I stand by my 'a lot' statement, even if it's 500 that's still a lot of disgruntled western hating people who have the right to live amongst us considering the damage just one can do.
You are standing by a statement based on an answer that no one knows nor can evidence?

Is this what lead you to your forum name?
Old Sep 11th 2015, 2:28 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Now cue all the you heartless bar steward comments and have you no compassion etc etc.
You two get up far too early
Old Sep 11th 2015, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I don't know the answers, how could I? What I am prepared to say is we would pay more taxes, and/or sponsor a family? There is a place in Toronto I have emailed about sponsorship. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Canada has plenty of room for migrants and neither needs to rule each other out. My husband and our family gets to stay and pays enormous sums of tax and contributes to society by virtue of his job. Why shouldn't our positive net effect for Canada be used to help another family who don't have the same fortune as us?
How noble, however what if you throwing your money at them wasn't enough & you were expected to take them in, after all housing for potentially tens of thousands of people is not going to spring up overnight. Now say it's not going to be a nice little family who are just looking for a better life for their children but an adult male, who you know nothing about, you don't even know if the name he is giving you is true. Would you be so willing to help then?
Old Sep 11th 2015, 2:34 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
You two get up far too early
it just makes for a nice start to the day

Don't know what time FL gets up, but I'm generally up with my first cup of tea in the 4:45am to 5am timeframe.

I was thinking that FL is at work when he posts on BE
Old Sep 11th 2015, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I don't know the answers, how could I? What I am prepared to say is we would pay more taxes, and/or sponsor a family? There is a place in Toronto I have emailed about sponsorship. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Canada has plenty of room for migrants and neither needs to rule each other out. My husband and our family gets to stay and pays enormous sums of tax and contributes to society by virtue of his job. Why shouldn't our positive net effect for Canada be used to help another family who don't have the same fortune as us?
I suggested a 1% tax hike at the provincial level if these premiers want 5000 in each province and if thats not enough the Feds can add 1% to the GST.
According to the national debt clock you and your husband owe just under $35,000 so Im to assume your cheque is in the mail made payable to the Receiver General for Canada. Personally I don't think the refugees will appreciate being sent to the Yukon, NWT or Nunavut so I guess most will be heading for Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver and Calgary then.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 2:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

it just makes for a nice start to the day

Don't know what time FL gets up, but I'm generally up with my first cup of tea in the 4:45am to 5am timeframe.

I was thinking that FL is at work when he posts on BE
Sadly incorrect as this site is BLOCKED at work. Im usually up around 4am unless on the midnight shift then Im still at work. There is not a lot to do at 5am in the morning on a day of rest with 2 more to come after this one so why not trawl (not troll) the net.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
You are standing by a statement based on an answer that no one knows nor can evidence?

Is this what lead you to your forum name?

I'm sorry please enlighten me, what is your definition of 'a lot'. I nor anyone else may not know the exact number but I'm pretty sure that there is evidence that at least say 10 (anything less would probably be described as a handful) have gone.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 2:42 pm
Dichotomus tinker

1. Zero Govt sponsored refugees from Syria. Those who wish to privately sponsor them well fill your boots with as many as you can as you agree to support them.

2. If they are privately sponsored then no Govt money is required so its a zero cost to the Govt. According to the debt clock we owe quite a bit of money and our credit cards are maxed out.

3. They settle wherever their sponsors live.

4. No priority required as they are being privately sponsored.

heartless bar steward you are & likely a good one at that.

That sorted, I'd be more concerned about those 50 or so refugees from Ethiopia you mentioned that CIC & the POE let in, creeping through that POE centre as well as the rest of all asylum seekers & refugees that should never ever be taken in ever especially in place of economic migrants.

Charity begins at home... send each & every refugee & asylum seeker in process today back on a barge back to where they came from, and stop all future ones.

That way we'd need less CIC officers in remote places & more of the taxpayers money for Canadians in Canada
Old Sep 11th 2015, 2:47 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Im usually up around 4am unless on the midnight shift then Im still at work. There is not a lot to do at 5am in the morning on a day of rest with 2 more to come after this one so why not trawl (not troll) the net.
wait till you're retired, I'm guessing after the life of rotating shifts you'll likely like me be up all hours.

Its tough being retired, even with having all the things around me done, travel here & there done. BE fills part of the 'trawling' days fishing
Old Sep 11th 2015, 2:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

heartless bar steward you are & likely a good one at that.

That sorted, I'd be more concerned about those 50 or so refugees from Ethiopia you mentioned that CIC & the POE let in, creeping through that POE centre as well as the rest of all asylum seekers & refugees that should never ever be taken in ever especially in place of economic migrants.

Charity begins at home... send each & every refugee & asylum seeker in process today back on a barge back to where they came from, and stop all future ones.

That way we'd need less CIC officers in remote places & more of the taxpayers money for Canadians in Canada
Actually those are from Somalia who have been denied refugee status in the USA.
Projected figures at that one POE are around 500 for this year. CIC officers don't work at POE'S. All the Immigration work done at all POE'S is done by CBSA officers which is a totally different Agency to CIC. They just want us to do their work for them.
When they cross illegally and picked up by the RCMP or surrender themselves they are then taken back to the border by Inland Enforcement officers who are CBSA employees and then processed at the POE by CBSA officers.

Im sorry where do you think CIC officers come into this scenario?
Old Sep 11th 2015, 2:56 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Actually those are from Somalia who have been denied refugee status in the USA.
Projected figures at that one POE are around 500 for this year. CIC officers don't work at POE'S. All the Immigration work done at all POE'S is done by CBSA officers which is a totally different Agency to CIC. They just want us to do their work for them.
When they cross illegally and picked up by the RCMP or surrender themselves they are then taken back to the border by Inland Enforcement officers who are CBSA employees and then processed at the POE by CBSA officers.

Im sorry where do you think CIC officers come into this scenario?
thanks for that clarity

I always understood it to be that CIC is the mother hen of all those that want to come to Canada & that the CBSA was a dept under CIC, and that CBSA & the POE officers are one & the same as CBSA?

Interesting what you posted (from that I take as) that CIC is purely for those wanting to come to Canada through the conventional immigration (to live, work, play or study) route & that asylum or refugees are not handled at all by CIC... would that be correct?
Old Sep 11th 2015, 3:02 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by confused_uk
...what is your definition of 'a lot'...
Terms like these need some reference point. Some context.

If you take the upper estimate of their number then to be consistent you have to take the upper estimate for the overall figure.

The upper figure of 2000 as a proportion of the upper figure of 100,000 is 2%.

If you take the 2000 Brits as a percentage of Brits in the UK it's even smaller.

A lot doesn't seem an accurate way to describe it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.