Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Supporting The Guardian

Supporting The Guardian

Old Feb 12th 2018, 11:25 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Supporting The Guardian

Originally Posted by Shard
I think I saw that, if it was the Voodoo Hoodoo, and thought the same. Last year I was bike shopping and concluded that a 'decent' bike started at £400, but that you could get a perfectly good budget bike from Halfords at £200. A few days ago I even saw an on sale bike at Sports Direct at £130.
Yep, that was it. Commenters were saying how the helmet would make you look like Bob the Builder.

1994 I bought a MTB. Standard thing, £180. It got stolen around 2000 in the 30 seconds I was in the paper shop - literally 30 seconds - just down from my house and I replaced it with a better one (front suspension) for £170. Both from proper, reputable bike shops in Bristol.

In Canada, in 2005, from Canadian Tire I bought an equivalent front suspension MTB for $170 (Raleigh make too) and still use it nearly 13 years on. The idea of wheeling it through the checkout still amuses me.

The roads around here need a MTB much more than Bristol roads.
Old Feb 12th 2018, 11:29 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
In Canada, in 2005, from Canadian Tire I bought an equivalent front suspension MTB for $170 (Raleigh make too) and still use it nearly 13 years on. The idea of wheeling it through the checkout still amuses me.

The roads around here need a MTB much more than Bristol roads.
Do you do that? How often do you use your bike?
Old Feb 12th 2018, 1:00 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Do you do that?
When I bought it I mean. I suppose one would do the same in Halfords but having bought previous bikes in bike shops where they have nothing but bikes, it just seemed weird going through the same checkout with a bike as others were for tools, taps and toasters.
How often do you use your bike?
Small shopping trips, once or twice a week outside of winter. I used to use it to cycle over to the rental as needed before I sold the duplex. Stepson uses it too.

I had a service and new wheel last year and it rides better than when new.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 6:03 pm
Oscar nominated

*sigh*
I can't win.

Yesterday the paper had an article on couples and housework - how they viewed their own share as well as their partner's.
Five couples were featured. One of mixed race, one of mixed ethnicity (apparently Japanese isn't a race), a male couple, a female couple and a mixed European (of course ) couple.

It's as if they went out of their way to find anything but Mr and Mrs Ordinary and their 2.4 children. You can be inclusive without doing this and it was frustrating not to be able to make a comment along those lines because comments were not open - as is increasingly the case.

Today they had the most brilliant and moving article which, once again, shows why the paper is still the best and what it's capable of.

Comments were open and many people posted to say it was the best thing they'd read at all or for a long time.

I made a brief comment saying that reading the guardian must be a bit like following a religion and mentioned how yesterday's article sought to be so inclusive that it excluded the majority but that today's article restored faith .

I've just discovered it was deleted

I've had yet another look over the rules and the nearest I can find to what's wrong is they are okay with criticism but "will not allow misrepresentation of the Guardian and our journalists to be published on our website. For the sake of robust debate, we will distinguish between constructive, focused argument and smear tactics."

There's the tiniest criticism compared to the lavish praise and they're not okay with it? It's baffling and I've raised the issue with them.
Old Mar 18th 2018, 11:36 am
Oscar nominated

Not the Guardian as such this time, but an article within by Kimberly McIntosh of The Runnymede Trust.

It's about integration of minorities and ability to speak English.

She complains the number of people who can't speak it is over estimated and then gives the "real figure" which, I suspect, may be under stated as she's met "countless people who claim to be “rubbish” at English but are basically fluent."

In my experience there are also those who say they are good enough but very clearly aren't. So it's likely somewhere in between.

But then comes a strange point.
Communities secretary Sajid Javid made it clear which side he felt had work to do...if he’s serious about bringing “divided communities together”, then why is he so focused on 0.3% of the population?
Well, what would be the point in concentrating on the 99.7% who already communicate in English?

That's a really odd thing to say. A bit like saying 20% of people are no good at Maths so we're going to send the other 70% (joke) 80% for classes.

There was, of course a very good point as well. "And if the government is serious about increasing access to English language lessons, why did it slash funding by £132m between 2010 and 2015?"

After she appeared on BBC someone responded
“kimberly ‘hood bitch’ mcintosh to go back to zoo. her narcist monkey face makes me to puke. ugly n*****”
Maybe we should scrap the internet and start again.

Last edited by BristolUK; Mar 18th 2018 at 11:39 am. Reason: typo
Old Mar 20th 2018, 12:04 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Who are the 0.3%? In any case, 200,000 fellow citizens is a significant number. English should be compulsory for anyone under the age of, say, 50.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 12:56 am
Oscar nominated

Who are the 0.3%?
The figure she gave as the real one. I just did the maths to check.

I've been a little annoyed at the gender pay gap examples they've been complaining about. I mean obviously there's an issue but they are giving extreme examples where other factors are at play.

Matt Smith in a supporting role got more than Claire Foy in the main role in The Crown. That would be one actor with worldwide fame in a role he had for over 4 years and another not very well known until The Crown made her more well known than she was.

Now they're comparing Navratilova getting a tenth of what McEnroe gets. I don't know if the reasoning given by the BBC is accurate or even fair but McEnroe has been doing TV punditry for longer and has been in demand for longer and was more famous as a player (perhaps infamous) he's had numerous TV appearances in TV shows compared to her two, and he has been portrayed in a mainstream movie. Their profiles are just not at the same level. And she agrees he's on more than she is.

Apparently the row - if indeed it is one - started because she discovered his fee on a list of high paid BBC employees. One that shows Sue Barker on twice as much as McEnroe, but the guardian didn't mention that. I wonder why.

Now there's a snarky article saying if it's based on grand slam titles, Navratilova, with more, should get more money than McEnroe. So on that basis Sue Barker should be getting the least rather than the most.

Why not focus on real injustices instead. This is another example of where people might be convinced of something but dismiss the idea because it's easy to pick a hole in the argument advanced.

So the gender pay gap will continue for longer than it should.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 10:07 pm
Yo

Gender pay gap is indeed tricky. I didn't know either of the actors in The Crown so that explanation makes a bit more sense.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Why not focus on real injustices instead.
For the same reason kids would rather fly to Africa to build wells than help the homeless people down the street: why do real work when you can have a jolly instead?

While I disagreed with much of the Guardian's politics when I sometimes read it in the UK, they used to do real stories about important issues, and I could at least respect most of the writers for the work they did. Lately, though, every article I've seen linked to there just seems to be more virtue-signalling twaddle.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 5:21 pm
Oscar nominated

The Gender Pee Gap

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...ment-113843784
Old Mar 26th 2018, 9:19 pm
Oscar nominated

17 Opinion pieces currently displayed on the Guardian website.
12 by women, 5 by men.

Maybe it's time for a Guardian Men's page.
Old Apr 24th 2018, 12:26 pm
Oscar nominated

In today's paper

Headline - Police arrested Bristol councillor who was reporting a crime

Sub heading - Force sorry over mistaken identity case but Afzal Shah doubts white colleagues would have been treated the same way

From the report - A city councillor of a black and minority ethnic background was arrested after going to his local police station to report a crime because officers were searching for a suspect who “looked like” him.
At this point I'm thinking of Constable Savage It all smacks a bit of jumping to conclusions. It goes on...

...described how he went to the Trinity Road police station to report a crime. He said that instead of taking his statement, officers believed he was a person suspected of making threats of violence – and read him his rights. He said: “I went to the police station to register a crime on behalf of someone else. I found myself arrested for making threats, but I was nowhere near the place this is supposed to have happened, I was in a council meeting.” After he was freed he claimed police told him that the person they were looking for had a similar appearance to him.
Now I'm thinking "a likely story," and police covering their backs.

Then deep down in the report:

Supt Andy Bennett said: “Officers acted in good faith in arresting Cllr Shah at Trinity Road police station after another man who was in the station reporting an offence visually identified him as one of the people involved. This identification was later found to be incorrect and Cllr Shah was released without having been taken to a custody unit." (no cells at this police station according to the report)
This puts an entirely different light on it which is at odds with everything that preceded it.
Old Oct 11th 2018, 2:35 pm
Oscar nominated

Today. Men have no idea what women go through to have children.
Well, of course. But the Guardian frequently carries articles on the importance of language use and how it may impact on people. So how about not alienating half the population with "men have no idea" and, instead say most men or even some men. Or switch it around and say "only women can know..."

Being fair to the article itself, it was perfectly reasonable so I'm not sure why the headline.

Where I used to work there was a young woman who annoyed other mothers because her pregnancy and, especially, the birth was all so straightforward. There was another couple who seemed to easily produce babies to order and, of course, some men are more involved than others and might, therefore, have some idea or a lot. Obviously just not as much.

A few days ago the paper had "Brexit a disaster for women". If it is a disaster, is it not a disaster for everyone?
Old Oct 11th 2018, 2:39 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Today. Men have no idea what women go through to have children.
Well, of course. But the Guardian frequently carries articles on the importance of language use and how it may impact on people. So how about not alienating half the population with "men have no idea" and, instead say most men or even some men. Or switch it around and say "only women can know..."

Being fair to the article itself, it was perfectly reasonable so I'm not sure why the headline.

Where I used to work there was a young woman who annoyed other mothers because her pregnancy and, especially, the birth was all so straightforward. There was another couple who seemed to easily produce babies to order and, of course, some men are more involved than others and might, therefore, have some idea or a lot. Obviously just not as much.

A few days ago the paper had "Brexit a disaster for women". If it is a disaster, is it not a disaster for everyone?
I agree - intentional 'grab ya' headline. Journalism is full of such dirty tricks - anything to get a sale/click
Old Oct 11th 2018, 2:39 pm
Yo

Now there's a thread I've not seen in a long time.

Saw the Guardian article, but did not read when I realised it was some drummed up sexual inequality trope. Too many 'first world problems' in the media these days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.