Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Supporting The Guardian

Supporting The Guardian

Old Jan 11th 2018, 3:31 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Supporting The Guardian

Originally Posted by dbd33
It was a suggestion of a site to go to in lieu of the Graun.
Oh, thank you. I hadn't thought of that. Didn't the NYT used to have pay wall, back in the mists of time? I seem to remember at one point wanting to access it and not being able to. Anyway, I will give it a try.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 3:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Oh, thank you. I hadn't thought of that. Didn't the NYT used to have pay wall, back in the mists of time? I seem to remember at one point wanting to access it and not being able to. Anyway, I will give it a try.
Yes, it has a pay wall. I thought you wanted an alternative to paying for the Graun, not necessarily a free one.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 5:35 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Yes, it has a pay wall. I thought you wanted an alternative to paying for the Graun, not necessarily a free one.
Nope, I like the free news. Have had a few subs in the past, but they add up.
Once they start bundling papers and magazines into a subscription I will probably sign up again.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 6:24 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, I like the free news. Have had a few subs in the past, but they add up.
Once they start bundling papers and magazines into a subscription I will probably sign up again.
NY Times and Washington Post allow a certain number of free articles per month. The Times is 10 a month I think, but you can see a fair number of things on the front page.
NY Times is $20 a month for Canada but a current offer is $13. I don't see the equivalent for the Post but while googling I saw that Amazon Prime (which I think you have ) gets you a six month free trial.

I really don't know why there should be an issue with subscriptions. After all, we used to pay for the print versions when it was that or nothing. Even when that Metro newspaper was available free, we still bought a paper.

I know this sounds contradictory given my reluctance to pay for the guardian now. Thing is, they made it so easy to read on line for nothing it's now tough to get people to pay. Free alternatives are one thing but how many would happily take a free Mail on line rather than pay for Guardian, Times, Telegraph or whatever.

Currently I can take a free guardian, so I do. I'd like to pay but as I don't have to pay I'd like to "get something" more for paying. I'd like some input to more than just the football pages and until the last few months I had that, so I paid.

But now it's restricted too much. I even support the "agenda" but the agenda seems to be dictating everything now.

It used to be the best, full stop. Now it's the best of a bad bunch and I find I can't trust it as much as I used to.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 7:40 pm
Yo

Those article limits get annoying though. You start getting into the paper and your limit is up.

It's rational to avoid paying now compared to print days. There is just so much free interesting content available that competes with a particular journal. Obviously, if you really enjoy particular columnists or it relates to work it makes good sense paying too.

No Amazon Prime yet. Considering it, but then it will undermine my cherished Spotify subscription.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 7:46 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
NY Times and Washington Post allow a certain number of free articles per month. The Times is 10 a month I think, but you can see a fair number of things on the front page.
NY Times is $20 a month for Canada but a current offer is $13. I don't see the equivalent for the Post but while googling I saw that Amazon Prime (which I think you have ) gets you a six month free trial.

I really don't know why there should be an issue with subscriptions. After all, we used to pay for the print versions when it was that or nothing. Even when that Metro newspaper was available free, we still bought a paper.

I know this sounds contradictory given my reluctance to pay for the guardian now. Thing is, they made it so easy to read on line for nothing it's now tough to get people to pay. Free alternatives are one thing but how many would happily take a free Mail on line rather than pay for Guardian, Times, Telegraph or whatever.

Currently I can take a free guardian, so I do. I'd like to pay but as I don't have to pay I'd like to "get something" more for paying. I'd like some input to more than just the football pages and until the last few months I had that, so I paid.

But now it's restricted too much. I even support the "agenda" but the agenda seems to be dictating everything now.

It used to be the best, full stop. Now it's the best of a bad bunch and I find I can't trust it as much as I used to.
In what way is the Guardian "restricted too much"???

I buy the weekday paper only occasionally, mainly due to not being in the UK most of the time, but my household always buys the Saturday Guardian and the Observer on a Sunday... almost every article in those papers is available online - how are you being restricted?
Old Jan 11th 2018, 7:58 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Those article limits get annoying though. You start getting into the paper and your limit is up.
The nearest I've ever got to that is when someone posts a link and I can't get in.
If I got as far as "getting into it" I'd either subscribe or wait until the limit reset. Or look for another source of the same. Quite often someone has reproduced parts or the writer has tweeted it.

It's rational to avoid paying now compared to print days.
It's also rational to conclude it has to be paid for somewhere somehow.
What would have me queuing up to pay, would be some advantage. They could open comments to subscribers. That would satisfy me.
It shouldn't be difficult - they already have pre-moderation for some readers so there's already a system to allow posting for some and not for others. Just adapt that.

There is just so much free interesting content available that competes with a particular journal.
Is there something like the guardian? Something with the same style of football coverage they have and the irreverence that one finds in most of it?

No Amazon Prime yet. Considering it, but then it will undermine my cherished Spotify subscription.
That Apple v Spotify thread (or whatever it was) confuses me.

I actually have a Spotify account. I signed up once to find what a particular bit of music on Match of the Day was a few years ago.

I never used the account since. The other day I was looking for the full version of something I heard in a movie and a spotify result came up and I got it there. I don't subscribe or anything but there it was in full. Just as it usually is on youtube or some other place.

My only complaint about youtube is that very often a live version of something is what someone badly recorded on their cell phone and it's so bad you wonder why they bothered.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 10:29 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
In what way is the Guardian "restricted too much"???

I buy the weekday paper only occasionally, mainly due to not being in the UK most of the time, but my household always buys the Saturday Guardian and the Observer on a Sunday... almost every article in those papers is available online - how are you being restricted?
You're filling me with envy about the weekend papers

This is about the post I made earlier about that comments section being closed. It's not just a one off.

I'm pretty sure you were in the thread about harassment accusations. I mentioned it there too, how there had been a dozen articles all saying the same thing and not one of them open for comments, not one allowing anyone to say "hang on a sec..." or anything remotely not following the line.

Also, look at post 49 here.

The Guardian never used to be like this. On line I'm talking about.

Until a few months ago practically every 'opinion' piece and very many news articles were open for people to debate the issues. Of course there is a need for moderation and they had a team of mods for this.

More and more, we saw comments deleted that clearly broke no policies. They were not rude, not sweary - though, of course , some were - not off topic or anything like that. But what they did do was refer to a potentially more reliable study that contradicted what the columnist used; or refer to a statement from someone (with a source) that gave a somewhat different impression to the one the columnist gave (like the one I mentioned today https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...le-intolerance); or question the inconsistent view with what the same writer said previously...it was legitimate dissent, argued politely...and it just wasn't tolerated.

And now there's barely anything 'opinion' based that's open for comments. And stuff that is very quickly gets closed when the comments look a bit "embarrassing" like those today.

That's why I was going to post surprise at it being open, only to find it had been closed and I couldn't.

So that's what I mean by being restricted. Something that the readers have been doing for years, making us feel engaged because the writers often came below the line to respond. It's been taken away.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 11:53 pm
Yo

Att: Bristol - Guardian comes out in tabloid format tomorrow !
Old Jan 15th 2018, 1:25 am
Oscar nominated

Att: Bristol - Guardian comes out in tabloid format tomorrow !
And they changed the masthead on line last week too.

Old Jan 15th 2018, 9:47 am
Yo

I think I preferred the old masthead /colour scheme, now looks a bit old fashioned.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 10:42 am
Oscar nominated

I think I preferred the old masthead /colour scheme, now looks a bit old fashioned.
Well that was a surprise. I thought last week's change was "ready" for this week but it's changed again.

I've noticed over the last couple of years that when I have the text/image size exactly as I want it (courtesy of NoSquint Plus), the position of the categories was "just so" but that if I increased/decreased by a couple of increments it changed and reminded me of when it changed for tablet format a couple of years ago.

One day last week it suddenly looked similar to that and I thought, "bugger, something has changed my sizes" but then I noticed the font on the categories had changed and so had the categories.

As it happened, I had another tab open and everything looked exactly the same on it...until I refreshed. So it all changed although it was still the right layout and size for me. But it had been redesigned.

And now again

The paper itself looks odd with the title not at the top and no definition at the top. Something needs to draw attention there, like a dark line?

The website less colourful, don't mind that but what's with the silly quotation marks on the brief bits?
Old Jan 15th 2018, 11:03 am
Oscar nominated

This stuff always amuses me. "New, Improved"...well why wasn't it better in the first place?
We have introduced a font called Guardian Headline that is simple, confident and impactful. This was a collaboration with the design experts Commercial Type, who created the original Guardian Egyptian, and is easier to read.
So the previous one wasn't easy to read?
We’re using a range of energetic colours
Could have fooled me. The top parts (on line) are bland, with pastel shades.

The masthead has a renewed strength and confidence to represent the Guardian’s place and mission in these challenging times.
Worthy of Pseud's Corner.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 4:07 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

looks a bit old fashioned.
probably designed that way for the core readership
Old Jan 15th 2018, 4:20 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by BristolUK
This stuff always amuses me. "New, Improved"...well why wasn't it better in the first place?
So the previous one wasn't easy to read?
Could have fooled me. The top parts (on line) are bland, with pastel shades.

Worthy of Pseud's Corner.
Agree. Finding it doesn't load/navigate on my phone as quickly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.