Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Supporting The Guardian

Supporting The Guardian

Old Dec 4th 2017, 10:40 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Supporting The Guardian

Originally Posted by TrickyTreeRed
Awful publication. Full of negativity, hate, and intolerance.
So you didn't look at the article linked to that contained none of those things?

Are you sure your description wasn't meant for the Mail and Sun?
Or did I miss the sarcasm?
Old Dec 22nd 2017, 11:14 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
...The Guardian is my go to site for having the news I want and is much less likely to slant it's coverage to suit it's interests or owners because it's run by a trust.

That doesn't mean it doesn't have an agenda and doesn't slant its coverage. But it doesn't do outright lies and distortions like most of the others....
The above still remains true. But this past week, as is the usual media thing to do, they've been running their best of the year things in the entertainment world.

Best TV series - The Handmaid's Tale, about the subjugation of women in a misogynist society. The comments under all these pieces were open and there were many along the lines of "what a surprise" and someone referenced a feminist movie highly placed in the top movies so far category. I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

I couldn't help but notice that as well as best album they had a feature on great albums you might have missed or some such where the favourite was a female, black, gay singer. I'm sure it was just a coincidence.

Best Movie - Call Me By Your Name, about two gay young men. I'm sure it's just coincidence.

Best album of the year? At first it looked as if they would be satisfied to have just picked a woman but apparently she believes in gender fluidity and sexual fluidity..."I'm not one for gender or sexual absolutism in the main; I fully support and engage in the spectrum." I'm sure it's just coincidence.

Non-discriminatory support for equality, inclusiveness, freedom of choice and all the rest of it is one thing but really? The Guardian's choices of "the best" has considered nothing but talent?

If this was fiction it would be satire and even then, perhaps, a bit over the top.

Even the best drama/theatre category was a play about a former IRA member at the time of hunger strikes in the Maze Prison.
It does actually sound really good, but...

Last edited by BristolUK; Dec 22nd 2017 at 11:16 am.
Old Dec 27th 2017, 9:44 pm
Oscar nominated

Below the line of one of the guardian's magnificent photos of the day:
As a new year wish dear Gruan , can you open up comments on every photo collection ?
Guardian response after this single solitary comment?
This discussion is closed for comments.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 1:05 pm
Oscar nominated

Former editor 1975-95, Peter Preston has died.

It's very inappropriate, but kind of understandable given the current intolerance for dissent, that within the tributes paid to him - below the line comments are open - are numerous references to his standards being being missed compared to the current editor.

There are several deletions possibly because they were more blatant than others still remaining, but maybe they'll get around to those too.

You can see the thought that people have put into their words while disguising their disappointment with the current editor/practices.

There was goodness and integrity about him that shone through the Guardian. He has been deeply missed.

A great editor of a great newspaper. If only there were more like him!

Integrity, vision and class, virtues of his that shone through in his paper and are so sadly lacking now in his many of his contemporaries

A proper editor.

The Guardian was one of the best newspapers in the English speaking world when Preston was editor, a beacon of light in the dark days of a vindictive Tory government with its vicious slave media. How we and the paper itself need someone like him now.

Here's one of the more obvious digs still up...for how much longer?
Very sad news to hear. A great loss to a vanishing breed of great and ethical journalists and someone not afraid of sticking his head out. A great loss, too, to the Guardian when he left, because it's really been downhill since.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 12:39 pm
Oscar nominated

Well if that don't beat all.

In addition to being 4 hours behind the UK, I was later than usual to the Guardian this morning as I had to go out.

There's an article today that I opened and I was surprised to see the comments were open - three pages of them, the earlierst of which was 3 hours ago so it hadn't been open that long.

As with columns by Jessica Valenti, the comments contained referenced sources and other bits of information that didn't just question the accuracy of the article but made it appear to be a hatchet job.

I drafted the following comment with a view to posting it.
Am I reading this right? I'm half way down page one and what started out as a perfectly sensible article is actually looking like a distortion to fit the argument.

I hadn't even heard of this bloke and reading the article he sounded like a right dickhead.

But people are reproducing what he said rather than what the writer says he said and not only that they are producing statements from him that actually <i>contradict</i> what the writer says he said.

And the Guardian still has the comments open rather than close them early or say they were opened in error.

If this carries on I shall have to reinstate the monthly support I withdrew from in protest at the shutting down of dissent.
Guess what. I couldn't post it.
Sorry your comment can not be published as the discussion is now closed for comments.
Yes, of course it is.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 12:47 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Bristol, you really need to get yourself a nice little job.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 12:53 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
There are a few 'Grauniads' on here...anybody supporting it? They seem to be stepping up their "voluntary support" campaign in the efforts to avoid a paywall. I'm not, so far, although I do feel a bit or moral responsibility as I do use the site. Once you start paying, you start thinking whether there's other content you might purchase instead. It's the same with some authors that are publishing or podcasting online, who are encouraging voluntary payments. At the moment I think my only subscriptions are Spotify and Netflix, but that's slightly different.
Interestingly, I don't use it but have had a couple of begging ads on my Facebook .

Are they in financial trouble?
Old Jan 11th 2018, 1:01 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
Interestingly, I don't use it but have had a couple of begging ads on my Facebook .

Are they in financial trouble?
Not sure. Maybe our Guardian expert Senhor Bristol would know better. But they're appeal does suggest they're feeling the strain of running a big media presence with low subscriptions. I guess we will find out in due course.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 1:19 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure. Maybe our Guardian expert Senhor Bristol would know better. But they're appeal does suggest they're feeling the strain of running a big media presence with low subscriptions. I guess we will find out in due course.
just googled their accounts and revenue was 214 mil vs costs of 260 mil - apparantly they are under threat from a vast decrease in print advertising and thier trust fund will be gone in less than 10 years on curremt losses.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 1:31 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
just googled their accounts and revenue was 214 mil vs costs of 260 mil - apparantly they are under threat from a vast decrease in print advertising and thier trust fund will be gone in less than 10 years on curremt losses.
Sounds like they better revise their model sooner rather than later. Not sure who I would go to if I had to pay, used to be Times/Telegraph back in the day, but with their Brexit stance, that would be difficult now. The Guardian might have brainwashed me on some other matters too.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 1:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like they better revise their model sooner rather than later. Not sure who I would go to if I had to pay, used to be Times/Telegraph back in the day, but with their Brexit stance, that would be difficult now. The Guardian might have brainwashed me on some other matters too.
NY Times?
Old Jan 11th 2018, 2:01 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by dbd33
NY Times?
No, the original, I'm afraid.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 2:21 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Bristol, you really need to get yourself a nice little job.
I have one...keeping the guardian on its toes

I thought dbd was suggesting the NYT rather than asking if you meant it.

I like the look of both NY Times and Washington Post (and not just because of Woodstein )

While withholding financial support of the guardian while it's voluntary, I confess I'd probably subscribe if it became compulsory.

I can't imagine preferring the NY Times or Washington Post unless I was actually living down south.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 2:24 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

yes says they are aiming to shed staff and cut costs to get on a sustainable footing.

Paywall could be a double-edged sword though driving down numbers and losing more advertisers, not a call I'd want to make.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 3:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

It was a suggestion of a site to go to in lieu of the Graun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.