Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Supporting The Guardian

Supporting The Guardian

Old Jun 14th 2017, 12:14 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Supporting The Guardian

Originally Posted by Souvy
I'm never going to live that down!
Likely not.

She scared the crepe out of me the other day. She phoned up to ask how to use our son's table saw. My first thought was one of absolute terror. My second, more moderated, thought was one of total fear. I made her use the little circular saw instead. She knows how to use that.
Fred drifting...I purchased a chainsaw and used it for the first time this weekend. Amazingly I still have all my limbs intact. Although I did manage to bugger up the chain. Apparently you can't cut rocks with a chainsaw.

Back on topic, I'm an infrequent reader of the graun so don't feel the need to contribute. I do seem to be reading the NYT and WaPo more these Trumpian days & I feel that preserving decent news coverage is important so I'm likely to start paying for a few sites. My go to news source has always been the Torygraph although I find myself increasingly at odds with their politics and the clickbait tabloid nature of much of the content. I wouldn't pay for it though.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 12:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Fred drifting...I purchased a chainsaw and used it for the first time this weekend. Amazingly I still have all my limbs intact. Although I did manage to bugger up the chain. Apparently you can't cut rocks with a chainsaw.
TSC sell the chains in multi-packs. I buy multiple multi-packs.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 12:30 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
TSC sell the chains in multi-packs. I buy multiple multi-packs.
Jolly helpful. Nearest TSC is 1000 miles or so away from me. I'll go into the Stihl dealer I bought it from I think.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 1:18 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
However, they changed their advertising provider a couple of months ago
How do you come across knowledge like that?
and now the adverts crash my browser and hang not only the Guardian window but all other browser windows.
My adblocker takes care of the normal advertising, just as it does on BE. It's just that the advertising - aimed at ME - is now in those pesky Outbrain bits.

The Guardian has long been the slowest to load (page) website I use, albeit that's mostly all the little bits that don't stop you doing anything so not a big deal, but the comments sections take a while to appear and sometimes several reloads.

I remember a few times you saying about it being 'busy' (my word - I don't recall how you actually described it)
Inferior technology rather than an ideological shift has me using the BBC for UK news.
Does anyone here follow the comments bits and have an opinion on the irritating way it's ordered now?
Old Jun 14th 2017, 1:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
How do you come across knowledge like that?
It was written on the screen.
Old Jun 15th 2017, 11:20 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Likely not.

Back on topic, I'm an infrequent reader of the graun so don't feel the need to contribute. I do seem to be reading the NYT and WaPo more these Trumpian days & I feel that preserving decent news coverage is important so I'm likely to start paying for a few sites. My go to news source has always been the Torygraph although I find myself increasingly at odds with their politics and the clickbait tabloid nature of much of the content. I wouldn't pay for it though.
Remember to take the oil out when you've finished and run it oil-less for a minute or so. If you don't you'll end up with leaked oil all over the place.
Old Jun 15th 2017, 11:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Give us money so we can contimue to post our metropolitan Islington-based, Polly Toynbee hooha ? No thanks.
Old Jun 15th 2017, 12:59 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Give us money so we can contimue to post our metropolitan Islington-based, Polly Toynbee hooha ? No thanks.
Thanks. That's pushed me much closer to signing up
Old Nov 30th 2017, 1:31 am
Oscar nominated

Judging by their appeals this week, they seem to have stepped up because Trump won the election.
But there are certain things I dislike about it and they seem to be increasing. It's still the best news site I know for what I want to read and do.
But if they just announced paying was needed I would. I would feel guilty about not being a supporter but they seem so hellbent on the way it's run seemingly since the new ed took over, as well as all their lovely little IT features that actually worsen the experience, I don't.
Despite this, I signed up as a supporter a few months ago.

Today I cancelled. It's been bad enough that many of the articles are closed for comments from the beginning or become closed when the view is challenged.

It's worse (as per the Weinstein thread) with bracketing silly old fools writing "I find you attractive" on notes 12 years apart with abusers and rapists.

Today there was an article on a male health problem - as if the writer actually recognised it as such - but still turning it around as anti-men and men blaming women.

I've had enough and I've cancelled my supporting payment.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 8:55 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Despite this, I signed up as a supporter a few months ago.

Today I cancelled. It's been bad enough that many of the articles are closed for comments from the beginning or become closed when the view is challenged.

It's worse (as per the Weinstein thread) with bracketing silly old fools writing "I find you attractive" on notes 12 years apart with abusers and rapists.

Today there was an article on a male health problem - as if the writer actually recognised it as such - but still turning it around as anti-men and men blaming women.

I've had enough and I've cancelled my supporting payment.
Bloody Fake News. Sad!
Old Nov 30th 2017, 12:43 pm
Oscar nominated

Today they ran a piece on something that affected one in fourteen women and their reaction to it "represents the most basic rules of the patriarchy."

Yep. It's all the fault of nasty men.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

Cyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond repute

Many of the Guardian comments threads seem to be moderated by rabid social justice warrior types who would make Viz mag's Millie Tant almost Victorian by comparison.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 3:02 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Chains are quite easy to sharpen, but the rule is only cut into wood, never allow the chain to meet stone or earth.
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 12:07 pm
Oscar nominated

Absolutely brilliant foster stories from the Guardian. The Muslim Christmas was a joy.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/...uch-a-blessing

If they'd done this last week I'd not have cancelled. It's a great example of how the paper is a cut above anything else.

But there's not enough of it. Give me more and I'll reinstate.
Old Dec 4th 2017, 4:21 am
Just Joined

TrickyTreeRed is a splendid one to beholdTrickyTreeRed is a splendid one to beholdTrickyTreeRed is a splendid one to beholdTrickyTreeRed is a splendid one to beholdTrickyTreeRed is a splendid one to beholdTrickyTreeRed is a splendid one to beholdTrickyTreeRed is a splendid one to beholdTrickyTreeRed is a splendid one to beholdTrickyTreeRed is a splendid one to beholdTrickyTreeRed is a splendid one to beholdTrickyTreeRed is a splendid one to behold

Awful publication. Full of negativity, hate, and intolerance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.