Summer Holiday Plans

Old May 2nd 2017, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Summer Holiday Plans

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Thanks for the info
I often check the website and play around with dates but what usually stands out for me is the service not running every day or it's a bus when it does run.

The Ocean runs 3 days a week from Montreal to Halifax .......... Wednesday, Friday and Sunday

Leaves Moncton ca 1:30 pm on Monday, Thursday and Saturday.

Arrives Halifax same day .......... takes about 4½ hours if on time

Return trips leave Halifax at a very respectable 1:00 pm on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday

I have the timetable right next to my computer

I'll check for you tomorrow to see whether the good deals are available to anyone going on the site or whether you have to join their points scheme, VIA Preference to get the best deal.

If the latter, you'd all have to join separately, but it is free, and you can refuse to get emails, except I wouldn't do that because the Tuesday offers come in an email.

In addition, I'd suggest that when the time comes, you work out when you want to travel ....... and then use the phone number to book the tickets rather than booking online. The VIA call centre is in Moncton, and the people are tremendously helpful, they've all worked on the trains. There's also a dedicated phone number for the Preference members in addition to the public line.
Old May 2nd 2017, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Congratulations, and good luck!
Thank you. I think we will need it!
Old May 2nd 2017, 2:34 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greenhill
Took a gamble that WDW might be a little quieter than usual this summer. Tickets are currently -35% for Canadian residents, and there are some good deals on [no frills] flights and some hotels.

Exchange rate sucks but there are deals out there that soften the blow a little (even Disney hotels are discounting up to 25% for most of the summer).
I got thrown out of DW years ago. I was staying at the Contemporary and there was an incident concerning pancakes with a Tigger and I think the King John character. Punches were thrown but no one got hurt. Apparently it was unsettling for the kids. I liked Body Wars.
Old May 2nd 2017, 1:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
My Husbands cousin and her husband are arriving at the end of May for a unspecified amount of days (Usually about 4) and then in July My Stepson and his girlfriend and her son arrive for three weeks. She and her son have never been. So there will be a short Banff thing going on but a trip to Montana has been requested so I think we are going to do a couple of nights in Yellowstone - I REALLY would like to see something I haven't seen before, but nothing has been booked yet as I can't get a YAY or NAY from OH grr.
That's a lot to pack into 4 days, as I am sure you are aware.
Old May 2nd 2017, 2:40 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
The Ocean runs 3 days a week from Montreal to Halifax .......... Wednesday, Friday and Sunday

Leaves Moncton ca 1:30 pm on Monday, Thursday and Saturday.

Arrives Halifax same day .......... takes about 4½ hours if on time

Return trips leave Halifax at a very respectable 1:00 pm on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday

I have the timetable right next to my computer

In addition, I'd suggest that when the time comes, you work out when you want to travel ....... and then use the phone number to book the tickets rather than booking online. The VIA call centre is in Moncton, and the people are tremendously helpful...
I booked on line for my wife plus wheelchair and stepdaughter back in 2010. Booked one-way to Montreal as father ill and no potential return date known. It all went swimmingly.
He recovered so did it again for return journey and all went swimmingly again.

Father then fell ill again, likely to die soon so did it all again. Can't recall exactly what happened but got an angry phone call from viarail admonishing me for booking on line and not by phone as wheelchair had to be done by phone - despite the fact that the site allowed it and it had worked both times previously.

Too late now, but I wonder if there could have been a 'companion' fare and that's what the viarail person meant. She didn't say that though, just seemed to want to tell me off.
Old May 2nd 2017, 2:56 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Too late now, but I wonder if there could have been a 'companion' fare and that's what the viarail person meant. She didn't say that though, just seemed to want to tell me off.
Sounds like you just got the brunt of a missed communication, maybe their website was out of date, or maybe she was. Via, like Greyhound, has been guilty of not advising customers of special fares or sales available when they purchase their tickets, but both companies (in my experience) graciously refund or credit the difference when I've called them on it.
Old May 2nd 2017, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I booked on line for my wife plus wheelchair and stepdaughter back in 2010. Booked one-way to Montreal as father ill and no potential return date known. It all went swimmingly.
He recovered so did it again for return journey and all went swimmingly again.

Father then fell ill again, likely to die soon so did it all again. Can't recall exactly what happened but got an angry phone call from viarail admonishing me for booking on line and not by phone as wheelchair had to be done by phone - despite the fact that the site allowed it and it had worked both times previously.

There is a companion fare if a disabled person needs the attention of a carer for personal needs, etc. Crew can help a blind person move from carriage to dining car for example, certainly in Sleeper, but they would not do anything else.

In some cases, I think the companion travels free

I have a cane, and request a wheelchair at stations where I know there will be a long walk to or from the carriage .............. but otherwise I don't need OH's care. I have been asked if I do need that though.

Were you travelling Coach or Sleeper? I do know that those Renaissance cars are VERY difficult of access for disabled people ........ the doors and corridors are narrow, and stairs up into the carriages are steep.
Old May 2nd 2017, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

A bit late, as you said ... but you could probably have travelled free.

from the VIA site ...............

Passengers who cannot travel alone without a Support Person may travel with a companion capable of providing the required assistance. The Support Person must be at least 12 years old and travels free in the same class of service.

If a passenger ONLY requires luggage and/or boarding assistance, a free ticket for a Support Person is not offered since these services are already provided by VIA Rail.

Where necessary, the companion is expected to assist VIA personnel in boarding and disembarking the passenger and in helping the passenger move about while on board.

To take advantage of this privilege, there are two options;

Option 1:
In order to travel with the assistance of a Support Person, the passenger must:
a) provide a signed Medical Certificate from a licensed medical doctor or licensed mental health professional (ex. psychiatrist or psychologist), and
b) the Medical Certificate must state that the passenger cannot travel alone without a Support Person, and
c) the Medical Certificate must be dated and signed one year or less prior to the date of train travel, unless the Medical Certificate indicates that the functional limitation is permanent.

Option 2:
Present, for each trip, a valid card from a recognized association or institution for persons with disabilities.
Old May 2nd 2017, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

You can see the Discount Tuesday fares on the open site .............

today's offer Economy Moncton to Halifax $46, instead of $51.
Old May 2nd 2017, 11:08 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

A bit late, as you said ... but you could probably have travelled free
It was my wife and stepdaughter who went. No sleeper. My wife always said the seats were comfy enough, even for overnight. I've not been on a Canadian train since 1975 CP and CN were both running passenger services.

They were away for xmas while me and stepson stayed home. I remember that at the time we didn't seek out the possibility because they'd both have gone anyway even if there was no wheelchair.

A couple of years later money was very tight so we would have done then. Like when we went to the zoo here and 'companion' went in free or half price, whatever it was.

You can see the Discount Tuesday fares on the open site .............

today's offer Economy Moncton to Halifax $46, instead of $51.
Thanks. That fiver would buy a beer
Old May 2nd 2017, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

I did a road trip out east in July 2011 with my then girlfriend, it was a fantastic holiday, would love to do it again some day, but think id stop over in Quebec City on the way as id love to see that place.

I drove from Peterborough to Halifax non stop, left Thursday 9pm (so id be in Montreal in the early hours) and arrived in Halifax at 5pm Friday evening at a pre booked b&b. 20 hours non stop! what was even more amazing now when i think back is; we got to our room, showered and changed and went out for dinner and stayed out until 2am partying! cant believe we did that! lol

We squeezed quite a bit into our 10 day vacation; Halifax, Cape Breton, Baddeck, Peggy's Cove, Louisbourg, Cabot Trail even PEI for a day and night.

Weather was terrible for the most part - but was still a fantastic trip, some great memories. Lovely part of the world.
Old May 2nd 2017, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bristol ............

Also .......... I didn't check Seniors or Youth fares. Those could result in even more savings!!
Old May 2nd 2017, 11:43 pm
Oscar nominated

Bristol ............

Also .......... I didn't check Seniors or Youth fares. Those could result in even more savings!!
I still call them the stepkids but I don't think they qualify anymore
Old May 3rd 2017, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

I still call them the stepkids but I don't think they qualify anymore

are they still under 25???

Youth Fare ...... 12-25

BUT I've found a condition that you can't claim a Senior's or Youth Fare discount on top of the Tuesday deal
Old May 3rd 2017, 12:34 am
Oscar nominated

are they still under 25???

Youth Fare ...... 12-25
The youngest is 25 this year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.