Sudbury--am I crazy?

Old Jan 24th 2018, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

ezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really nice
Default Sudbury--am I crazy?

The last "what is Sudbury like" question was in 2015, so I feel I am safe asking again.

I am thinking of moving to Sudbury in the next two years and wonder if anyone out there lives there/has lived there who can give me an overview of how they like it. I am currently north of Toronto. I haven't been there (I know, but I am going this spring!) but I do spend time in the Parry Sound area. I love the rocky shield.

My reasons for wanting to move are varied, but largely to have a change of scene, better winters (more reliable), more land (increase my farming activities) and for the lakes. Also, Sudbury is the only place we could move to in the north for work reasons.

Anyone I mention it to thinks I am crazy, but I put that down to fear of the unknown--most people here in the GTA haven't been anywhere but Florida or a resort somewhere.

I would love it if people who know Sudbury could give me their opinion. Thanks so much!
Old Jan 24th 2018, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sudbury--am I crazy?

Sudbury is much improved from the days when NASA used it as a training ground for astronauts because the area was so blighted by mining activities that it resembled the moon

Much of that was due to a gentleman they hired at the university back in the 1970s who worked on mine reclamation, he and his team found plants that would grow on the horror of earth that was left, and the area is now much greener than it was.

We go past the Sudbury area on the train 2 or 3 times a year, and is is greatly improved, but there also seems to be a lot of graveyards of mine or other equipment.

I'm not sure what the work aspect is like
Old Jan 25th 2018, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

ezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really nice

Thanks for your reply! Sounds interesting. On google earth there is a large area of scary looking land aka the mine. A person I know thinks her mother died from cancer because she grew up in Sudbury. Something to think about.....

I used to live in far north Australia so I got used to desolate landscapes.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 12:46 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

There are a lot of rocks and trees and lakes, you'll be fine.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 4:01 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezvanetree
Thanks for your reply! Sounds interesting. On google earth there is a large area of scary looking land aka the mine. A person I know thinks her mother died from cancer because she grew up in Sudbury. Something to think about.....

I used to live in far north Australia so I got used to desolate landscapes.

I doubt the desolate landscape of far north Australia was caused by the same man-made disaster that caused what happened around Sudbury!!

That mine was one of the largest nickel mines in the world when it was in full operation, and they didn't give a damn what they did with the tailings or waste that came out of the mine.

and yes, many people think cancers were due to what went on there

The mine was still in full operation when we came to Canada in 1968, and we went there in the late 1980s ...... OH even planted a tree on the campus of the university there . It was still very much a scarred landscape though!
Old Jan 25th 2018, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

Hmmm sounds kind of grim. I must get there asap once the snow melts. And of course the cancer issue is a biggie. We used to live where the main employment was a lead smelter. These operations provide decent paying jobs of course but at what price??
Old Jan 27th 2018, 1:28 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.sudbury.com/local-news/c...l-homes-243890

Sudbury part of the highest cancer area of the ... | Sudbury Star

https://www.sdhu.com/resources/resea...er/all-cancers

A little concerning.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 27th 2018 at 1:32 am.
Old Jan 27th 2018, 4:36 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

When I was young, there was this business in N.Ireland, IRA, bombs, fanatics and such.
Eire seemed to be reasonably safe but.. you never know who you might argue with in the pub so inviting as the place sounded I never went there, considered it an avoidable risk wimp that I am.
Sudbury might fall into that category.. do your homework if you want to live there.
Old Jan 27th 2018, 12:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
When I was young, there was this business in N.Ireland, IRA, bombs, fanatics and such.
Eire seemed to be reasonably safe but.. you never know who you might argue with in the pub so inviting as the place sounded I never went there, considered it an avoidable risk wimp that I am.
Sudbury might fall into that category.. do your homework if you want to live there.
Is there a Northern Ontario separationist movement then?
Old Jan 27th 2018, 12:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Is there a Northern Ontario separationist movement then?
In Kenora yes there is a group that wants to leave Northern Ontario and join Manitoba.
Old Jan 27th 2018, 12:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
In Kenora yes there is a group that wants to leave Northern Ontario and join Manitoba.
Is there civil insurrection, a shooting war, over it?
Old Jan 27th 2018, 12:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Is there civil insurrection, a shooting war, over it?
Not just at the moment as its too fricking cold to be doing stuff like that plus they are gearing up for the annual winter carnival
Ontario city wants to secede, join Manitoba - Canada - CBC News
Old Jan 28th 2018, 3:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezvanetree
The last "what is Sudbury like" question was in 2015, so I feel I am safe asking again.

I am thinking of moving to Sudbury in the next two years and wonder if anyone out there lives there/has lived there who can give me an overview of how they like it. I am currently north of Toronto. I haven't been there (I know, but I am going this spring!) but I do spend time in the Parry Sound area. I love the rocky shield.

My reasons for wanting to move are varied, but largely to have a change of scene, better winters (more reliable), more land (increase my farming activities) and for the lakes. Also, Sudbury is the only place we could move to in the north for work reasons.

Anyone I mention it to thinks I am crazy, but I put that down to fear of the unknown--most people here in the GTA haven't been anywhere but Florida or a resort somewhere.

I would love it if people who know Sudbury could give me their opinion. Thanks so much!
I’m pretty sure Dakota44 used to live in Sudbury. I’m sure he will help you if he can...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/members/dakota44-59027/
Old Jan 29th 2018, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I’m pretty sure Dakota44 used to live in Sudbury. I’m sure he will help you if he can...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/members/dakota44-59027/
thanks for the tip! I appreciate it.