Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Spring...what the hell??

Spring...what the hell??

Old Apr 23rd 2018, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spring...what the hell??

Originally Posted by dbd33
In Ireland I rode a horse in the format you describe, 18 hands, built like a tank. We charged along Downhill Beach, half in the surf, at what seemed like three strides to the mile. It was wonderful.

If you want to ride, there are horses to fit..
I once rode a horse as it swam in the sea, off Holy Island. Surprisingly difficult but great. Thanks for the encouragement.
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 1:59 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
I once rode a horse as it swam in the sea, off Holy Island. Surprisingly difficult but great. Thanks for the encouragement.
I liked horse swimming but it's a bit dangerous, all them hooves swinging about.

I think two considerations apply to whether or not to ride:

- have you the money ($200/month to infinity)

- do you enjoy it.

I routinely see people aged 3 to 75 on horses, they're all fitter for riding and they're all doing it because they like it. If it appeals, give it a go, there are no end of lesson barns over your way.
Old May 3rd 2018, 1:33 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I started this morning with a spot of heating, just to bring the house temperature up a bit as it wasn't going to warm up until much later.

Right now I have the AC on because the house got warm quickly this evening and opening windows didn't help.

It's just to cool off for bedtime and then the overnight fall in temperature will do the rest.

But morning heating and night time aircon.
Old May 3rd 2018, 11:04 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

We had our AC on yesterday. It was 28 degrees. I am NOT complaining.
Old May 3rd 2018, 11:45 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I missed spring in St John’s. It was last weekend which was unseasonably warm. I was in Blightly which wasn’t. Today we have our more usual low single digit rain drizzle and fog misery which generally goes on until “bloody black fly” season.

Last edited by Atlantic Xpat; May 3rd 2018 at 12:20 pm.
Old May 3rd 2018, 12:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

There was a day this week when the car thermometer showed -2 in the morning and +22 in the afternoon. Snow steamed. The evening before I had been on summer tyres so in the morning I whipped them off and reinstalled them at lunchtime.
Old May 4th 2018, 7:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

This afternoon we are promised thunderstorms (it's already raining hard) with the chance of a tornado. I just don't know what rubber I should be rolling on.
Old May 4th 2018, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

This afternoon we are promised thunderstorms (it's already raining hard) with the chance of a tornado. I just don't know what rubber I should be rolling on.
Unless it comes with a free umbrella, I would use whatever one you normally use!
Old May 5th 2018, 5:18 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Like many in Ontario we have no power after the thunder and gales yesterday. No dmaged to anything so all is good. I enjoyed the early evening with the power out just listening to the wind.
Old May 5th 2018, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Like many in Ontario we have no power after the thunder and gales yesterday. No dmaged to anything so all is good. I enjoyed the early evening with the power out just listening to the wind.
i could live with the power cut if it didn’t mean we also had no water. we really need a generator. Also listening to the wind is less fun when you are completely surrounded by trees taller than your house. And have to search round the house 3 times to find the dog, who hates the beep of the smoke detector when the power goes off. (He was in the built in cupboard in the basement). Still at least it’s sunny.
Old May 7th 2018, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Power is finally back on. After taking the kids to the pool for a shower it was back when we got home. Thank god. We had run out of plates, tea cups, and wine glasses. And patience.
Old May 7th 2018, 1:23 am
Assimilated Pauper

Power is finally back on. After taking the kids to the pool for a shower it was back when we got home. Thank god. We had run out of plates, tea cups, and wine glasses. And patience.
Our generator was $750 from the scratched and dented section at Lowes. It's literally a lifesaver as the occupants of the fish tank can't go for a day without power and we usually lose power for a few days at a stretch each winter. I'm not sure but I think frozen food probably should go in the bin after 12 hours so, with several power cuts each longer than that per year, we've likely saved the cost of the generator in food not thrown out. The cost of the wiring for the generator is another matter but, if your supplier is Ontario Hydro, you need a back up.
Old May 7th 2018, 11:38 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...I'm not sure but I think frozen food probably should go in the bin after 12 hours so, with several power cuts each longer than that per year, we've likely saved the cost of the generator in food not thrown out. ...
The most important thing to remember is: keep the refrigerator and freezer doors closed!
  • A refrigerator will keep food cold for about 4 hours if the door is kept closed.
  • A full freezer will keep temperature for about 48 hours (24 hours if half-full). If your freezer is not full, group packages so they form an “igloo” to protect each other. Place them to one side or on a tray so that if they begin thawing, their juices won’t get on other foods.
  • If the power is going to be out for an extended period of time, buy dry or block ice to keep the refrigerator as cold as possible. Fifty pounds of dry ice should keep a fully-stocked 18-cubic-feet freezer cold for two days.
    Old May 7th 2018, 11:41 am
    limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

i could live with the power cut if it didn’t mean we also had no water. we really need a generator. Also listening to the wind is less fun when you are completely surrounded by trees taller than your house. And have to search round the house 3 times to find the dog, who hates the beep of the smoke detector when the power goes off. (He was in the built in cupboard in the basement). Still at least it’s sunny.
    We have a generator, bought it a few years ago when the power was out for four days. ItsItbeen uaednseveral times since though we only use it if the power is out overnight. The main problem for no power is that i use a CPAP machine and without it I'm really very very grumpy in the morning, and that's apart forf the whole risk of sudden death thing. The septic has a pump to the leaching bed so no power means risky flushing. I'm saying this this but we haven't as yet wired the septic pump into the generator. Should look into that.
    Old May 7th 2018, 11:58 am
    Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by bats
    we haven't as yet wired the septic pump into the generator. Should look into that.
    We have a switch at the supply panel; either the whole house runs off the mains or it all runs off the generator. There's no need to connect up individual appliances.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.