Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Spring...what the hell??

Spring...what the hell??

Old Apr 17th 2018, 11:52 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spring...what the hell??

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
So you speak metric with the ex? +18 here, +22 tomorrow it says on metro.fr
Well, yes, with that one, always did. She's from a metric country. Oddly though, she switched to using some English measures in England and never converted back. She wouldn't say, as the Canadians would, "someone 12.7mm'd my jam jar". There are also a couple of colloquialisms she uses that predate the use of metric in Europe but, generally, yes.

I don't actually mind metric in an appropriate context, like being in France, I don't decant wine into milk bottles so it's in pints. It's only the ludicrous affectation of Canadians using metric that gets on my tits; you're a subsidiary of America, stop pissing people about with your 454g slabs of this and that! You can measure petrol properly, it comes to you in, easily divisible units. Pain in the arse never willingly using a round number for anything.

The snow, btw, is that heavy stuff one cannot blow. At this rate I'll be ripped by the end of June, I could reach 12 stone.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 12:07 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33

The snow, btw, is that heavy stuff one cannot blow. At this rate I'll be ripped by the end of June, I could reach 12 stone.
I like your positive vibe! I might have a bikini body by June! - it sounds much nicer than having been eaten by the snow plough
Old Apr 17th 2018, 12:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
I like your positive vibe! I might have a bikini body by June! - it sounds much nicer than having been eaten by the snow plough
It's just a shame we shall have flesh the colour of potatoes.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 4:43 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Still snowing here, it's getting increasingly difficult to get out of the drive in any vehicle, thankfully the unregistered Range Rover comes in handy to pull other vehicles out of trouble, now if only it's heater worked The snow squashing that OH opted for this winter is no longer a good option as the melting hasn't been consistent. Hohum.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

mcelwest is an unknown quantity at this point

So, with Spring being what it is, and trees taking a savage beating...my neighbours tree has fallen down straddling his land and mine. Now, he's a cantankerous old bugger and refusing to deal with the part of the tree that is on my property ("your land, your problem"). Simple etiquette would be, "yup, darn wind, I'll clean that mess up for you as it's my tree". Anyhoo, what's the protocol here? Each insurance company to heir own? Thanks.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mcelwest
So, with Spring being what it is, and trees taking a savage beating...my neighbours tree has fallen down straddling his land and mine. Now, he's a cantankerous old bugger and refusing to deal with the part of the tree that is on my property ("your land, your problem"). Simple etiquette would be, "yup, darn wind, I'll clean that mess up for you as it's my tree". Anyhoo, what's the protocol here? Each insurance company to heir own? Thanks.
https://www.thestar.com/business/per..._who_pays.html

Does this help.

If the tree straddled the lot line shouldn't you each equally pay? or equally clear up? Do you have a survey plan that shows the tree and if it is truly on the mutual lot line.?
Old Apr 17th 2018, 5:37 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

When our trees huge branches came down neighbours with chain saws arrived. We use some of the logs as seats for the fire pit. It's not suitable for fuel.

Insurance? I imagine that if you use it then yours will claim from his.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

I would be tempted to do what was needed to transport it back onto his property. "I felt you would want the rest of your tree back" etc.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

In Vancouver, if branches from a neighbour's tree or shrub fall on your property or over hang your property, you are allowed to cut them up or off the tree/shrub but must return them to your neighbour. If you keep the wood without their permission, then it can be considered theft.

This once led to the funniest yet strangest sight many years ago ................ neighbours across the street were always arguing about everything. One day, one of them cut off overhanging branches that were beginning to make it difficult to get up the path to their front door.

The man then threw the branches over the hedge onto the neighbour's lawn, perhaps not the best way to "return to your neighbour's property" .............. 10 minutes later, the branches went flying back over the hedge.

Within a short while, both couples were out on their respective properties and branches were being thrown back and forth.

My daughter stood watching all this, stunned, then turned to me and asked "they are adults, aren't they, Mum?".

My response was ...... they're supposed to be!!

Both couples were around 60 at the time
Old Apr 17th 2018, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

I see snow coming down outside the library... Fingers crossed it doesn't stick or it'll be a messy drive home for me. Looks like the thin stuff that just melts when it hits the ground.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 9:58 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Need to change starter on car, no frickin chance in this poo weather
Old Apr 17th 2018, 10:40 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Ugh yuk
Old Apr 17th 2018, 11:18 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
First, the starter really has to want to change.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 11:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
CN Tower collapses under weight of ice....something like that. I might have misheard it.
The area around it has been cordoned off for the last few day because of falling ice. Monday night’s Jays game was cancelled because falling ice from the tower had made a sizable hole in the roof of the dome.
Old Apr 18th 2018, 12:56 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The area around it has been cordoned off for the last few day because of falling ice. Monday night’s Jays game was cancelled because falling ice from the tower had made a sizable hole in the roof of the dome.
Yes, I saw the CTV news report

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.