Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Sort of retirement plan

Sort of retirement plan

Old Mar 24th 2018, 7:07 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sort of retirement plan

Originally Posted by magnumpi
An interesting thought provided by N2O would be to invest our capital in a high interest investment.

So let’s say we sell our house in four years for $750,000 move out of town and buy a house for approximately $250,000 which is doable in Cornwall or wherever for a nice bungalow then invest the 500,000 remaining and live on 40,000 a year if we could get a 8-9% return.
Quite an 'if' on current annuity rates isn't it?
Old Mar 24th 2018, 7:10 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
At the moment we plan to retire here. We are not bothered by the winter and will have more time to ski than we do now.
What's the trick?
Old Mar 24th 2018, 7:17 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Quite an 'if' on current annuity rates isn't it?
Agreed, but if Liberal stay in any longer I am sure everything will go up, including rates.

Property rental income returned around 8-9% at this time, sure is a lot to think about.
Old Mar 24th 2018, 7:38 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
...I've been retired for 18 months. If we had stayed in the UK then I would still have to work and when we did retire we wouldn't be as well off as we will be here...
That's just it, isn't it. For all the bitching about prices, some things can more than make up for it meaning that overall we can be better off here.
I remember saying way back that the money left after housing costs here was barely more than I was left with in England but it paid for four of us instead of just me.

We are not bothered by the winter
What's the trick?
It happens, accept it, don't worry about it - so long as there's nothing exceptional that makes it more difficult.
Old Mar 24th 2018, 7:44 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
At the moment we plan to retire here. We are not bothered by the winter and will have more time to ski than we do now.
Hoorah for the skiing. Think you'll keep the acreage once the family has flown? A nice apartment in Canmore would do you good
Old Mar 24th 2018, 8:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

What's the trick?
Embrace it - learn to ski/snowboard. I wouldn't have moved to a country where it snowed for a large part of the year, if I wasn't prepared to embrace it.
Old Mar 24th 2018, 8:44 pm

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

The winter doesn’t bother me when I’m not working. However, when I’m working it’s a total pain in the arse. Chasing people around in cars on snow-covered roads and sitting around for hours in -25 temperatures is not the ideal workplace.

When I take time off and the snow is around it’s never really an issue, the only issue I have is the dog doesn’t like the cold and snow and salt and we have to try to make him wear booties
Old Mar 24th 2018, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Hoorah for the skiing. Think you'll keep the acreage once the family has flown? A nice apartment in Canmore would do you good
I really like the space and I think I will. I know lots of acreage owners that are retired. When I attend friends' homes in the cities for social events, I cringe when I first attend and see how close their neighbours are. Never say never but I cannot imagine that living in a city or a town would ever appeal. We are 15 mins from the south of the city using highway 2 and are a similar time to Okotoks.

I rarely attend theatres and I can do so in Calgary if I wish to. If I really wanted to see something, I would take a trip to where ever it was and make an adventure of it. I am far too happy to be miserable simply because things are not right on my doorstep. I loved travelling to Scotland/Ireland and Wales when I lived in England and I love travelling to other parts of the US and Canada now that I live here.

If I feel the need to rub my cheek against an old building to have "culture" I can take a trip to Europe but, if I am honest, that doesn't do much for me.

Canmore/Banff/Lake Louise are possible to get to/return from easily within a day. If I wish to do more than a day, there are a number of options for hotels.

I like driving/train to the city for work, coming home to our place each day and then going to other places when I need to.

I appreciate that that may change in the future but the thought of moving to the UK simply for retirement doesn't appeal.

One child has left home, one is at uni and one will be heading to uni in 2 years. If the two that intend to go to uni leave the Calgary area once they have done so that would not really change my plans but time will tell.

I have always tried to make the best of whatever I have and I don't imagine that will change.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Mar 24th 2018 at 8:53 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2018, 9:14 pm

Great outlook on life AC likes it a lot
Old Mar 24th 2018, 9:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

After typing this my wife asked me, "Are you low?"

She was concerned about my diabetes and, when I tested my blood, I realised that she was correct, so I apologise for my half rant above.
Old Mar 24th 2018, 9:36 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just back from two weeks in England and that miserable, damp, grey weather does get you down. The blue skies that usually go with the cold weather here are beautiful, I'd much rather have the cold and snow than grey drizzle.

We've just been for a walk by Lake Ontario the sun is sparkling on the water, the sky is blue, the temperature a warm zero. Lovely. We don't do winter sports but do help our friends out with the apres ski part. And I paint those winter scenes, I'm not inspired by an English winters day.
Old Mar 24th 2018, 9:47 pm
Formerly known as Hangman

Tinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just back from two weeks in England and that miserable, damp, grey weather does get you down. The blue skies that usually go with the cold weather here are beautiful, I'd much rather have the cold and snow than grey drizzle.

We've just been for a walk by Lake Ontario the sun is sparkling on the water, the sky is blue, the temperature a warm zero. Lovely. We don't do winter sports but do help our friends out with the apres ski part. And I paint those winter scenes, I'm not inspired by an English winters day.
I could say the same thing about Vancouver Island.

I know this is likely to upset some of the "Island" residents but it's winter weather is soul destroying. Summers beautiful, winters not so much.
We went out to the Island numerous times in winter to check out the weather because I wanted to retire there to be close to the water. After going out there any time from December to April I decided I'm happier with the winter cold and snow with lots of sunshine in Calgary so here we stay and our summers are pretty good too. Added bonus our two sons and their families which include our four grandchildren are here too.
Old Mar 24th 2018, 9:56 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

one reason why many left 'back home' for the blue sky in the winter, proper central heating, cheaper gas, laid back lifestyle in wide open spaces.

some folks can whinge about 'what is all that it is wrong with Canada', from its politicians, high cost of something, then looking at something or other comparison to a 'back home' food or beer item things & that Canadians do not have a sense of humour.
Old Mar 24th 2018, 9:58 pm

We just had a month in UK

It was great while the weather here was snowy and below -20’s but when I saw the temps had creeped up and snow melted, I was ready to get back to Canada and work
Old Mar 24th 2018, 10:02 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

We've just been for a walk by Lake Ontario the sun is sparkling on the water...
You're making me jealous.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.