Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Sort of retirement plan

Sort of retirement plan

Old Mar 23rd 2018, 11:04 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sort of retirement plan

Originally Posted by magnumpi
USA (the warm and stormy bits) would be a idea, getting a visa tho ?
You don't need a visa. Probably half of the houses on this street are empty for the winter.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 11:16 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
You don't need a visa. Probably half of the houses on this street are empty for the winter.
For a permanent move a visa is needed yeh?
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 11:48 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

For a permanent move a visa is needed yeh?
OH yes, but why retire to the USA? Healthcare and all that.
Old Mar 24th 2018, 1:54 pm

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
OH yes, but why retire to the USA? Healthcare and all that.
Ah yeh good point
Old Mar 24th 2018, 2:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
How many of you BE-ers in your 50s/60s do not plan on staying in Canada for the retirement years?
That’s a whole other thread!

Still not sure. I’m on a 6 yr count down. So many things to consider. I like and dislike the UK for such a variety of reasons 😁. It is expensive, property wise, and to be affordable would be to pick somewhere other than the southeast (what we know and where everyone we care about is based) which would mean starting over from scratch. My comfort zone is not up for that on most days. But moving away from Calgary would create the exact same scenario. And I would miss the skies!

I would like to be closer to the variety that Europe offers. We will likely “do” chunks of Canada and the US for a few years with some travelling, but after that...

Calgary is very liveable but not at all pretty. So when I add up what I like - small town, views, walking paths, local shopping and restaurants, not far from an airport, hospitals, etc, I come up with somewhere like Cochrane! Or Sussex. I’d would like access to better quality theatre, but in reality, how often would I go?

My girls could end up anywhere, I think we’ll all split up in the next 2 years, which is fine, I want them to find their own feet and place in the world.

So, to answer the question, no idea really! If finances allow, then perhaps just a smaller place here and spend time and dollars exploring.
Old Mar 24th 2018, 2:59 pm
limey party pooper

We're at the beginning of our retirement plan and it includes staying here. Because of the difference in ages and dates that pensions start we won't have access to our full retirement income for another 7 years but I've been retired for 18 months. If we had stayed in the UK then I would still have to work and when we did retire we wouldn't be as well off as we will be here as we wouldn't have built up part of a second state pension.
Old Mar 24th 2018, 3:34 pm

One o the things that is drawing me to Cornwall is the close proximity to the river. We like our water toys and also we are MC people and the roads out there looks good.

We will plan to go this summer for a week and see if wife likes. I am ok as I been that area many times working.
Old Mar 24th 2018, 4:40 pm

An interesting thought provided by N2O would be to invest our capital in a high interest investment.

So let’s say we sell our house in four years for $750,000 move out of town and buy a house for approximately $250,000 which is doable in Cornwall or wherever for a nice bungalow then invest the 500,000 remaining and live on 40,000 a year if we could get a 8-9% return.
Old Mar 24th 2018, 4:41 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

One o the things that is drawing me to Cornwall is the close proximity to the river. We like our water toys and also we are MC people and the roads out there looks good.

We will plan to go this summer for a week and see if wife likes. I am ok as I been that area many times working.
found you a few of properties, depending on your budget between $70,000 to $700,000

MLS® Number: 1092620

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/S...WILLIAM-STREET

MLS® Number: 109092 is approx 150 - 200 yards from the waters edge

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/S...-Kirkman-Court

MLS® Number: 1087465

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/S...6H5R5-Cornwall

Last edited by not2old; Mar 24th 2018 at 4:47 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2018, 4:52 pm

Here would be nice

https://www.point2homes.com/CA/Home-.../55168802.html
Old Mar 24th 2018, 4:57 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

An interesting thought provided by N2O would be to invest our capital in a high interest investment.

So let’s say we sell our house in four years for $750,000 move out of town and buy a house for approximately $250,000 which is doable in Cornwall or wherever for a nice bungalow then invest the 500,000 remaining and live on 40,000 a year if we could get a 8-9% return.
8-9% is a high ROI for now, would come from higher risk investments. The more secure the investment, the lower the return.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jrose/2.../#5e0830c2ac29
Old Mar 24th 2018, 5:04 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
8-9% is a high ROI for now, would come from higher risk investments. The more secure the investment, the lower the return.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jrose/2.../#5e0830c2ac29
for the most part maybe & maybe not, especially in real estate rental income property where you'd be lucky to get a gross 'cap rate' of ~6%, then there are the costs of doing business... property tax,vacancy rate, nuisance tenants, maintenance.

Of course you'd have financial adviser/advisor tell you the sky is the limit on investments- watch the capital swing all over the place

reward for risk
Old Mar 24th 2018, 5:06 pm

I will put all my $$ into Toys R Us and Sears they well known companies what could possibly go wrong :@)
Old Mar 24th 2018, 5:23 pm
Dichotomus tinker

I will put all my $$ into Toys R Us and Sears they well known companies what could possibly go wrong :@)
on any investing/investments always do your homework, after all 'it's your money to lose'

FWIW, not to be taken as financial advice

GIC,HISA, stocks & shares, index funds, mutual funds, Bonds, second mortgages to real estate investment/income property

Depending on ones risk tolerance or if they want to spread their RRSP/TFSA/RRIF even non-registered investments around in different investment products, I'd probably go in part/spread them around with a laddered GIC ... 12 mth, 24,mth, 36mth, after all the interest rates are increasing

https://www.oaken.com/gic-rates/?gcl...SABEgIzk_D_BwE

or maybe an HISA

https://www.eqbank.ca/personal-banking/features-rates

Last edited by not2old; Mar 24th 2018 at 5:28 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2018, 6:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
How many of you BE-ers in your 50s/60s do not plan on staying in Canada for the retirement years?
At the moment we plan to retire here. We are not bothered by the winter and will have more time to ski than we do now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.