Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Sort of retirement plan

Sort of retirement plan

Old Mar 21st 2018, 5:39 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sort of retirement plan

Originally Posted by Siouxie
But you'd only need one rental place to bring in an income of $40k - $80k+ a year.

I was looking when I was up there and there were cheaper places available to buy and the rents were crazy prices in the summer $2-3k a week (June to October)!

Ahh yeh I see now
Old Mar 21st 2018, 5:41 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
I sort of still wanna work to keep busy so looking after a few houses in a small town was my idea of getting an income and keeping busy
Ah, well in that case...

If you can deal with the repairs/maintenance aspect yourself or, at least, know what things are called and what's to be done, then why not.

A house has the advantage of longer term tenants and maybe better tenants too. But maybe more vacancy periods if smaller market?

An apartment building has the advantage of one site but possible friction with more tenants but maybe the odd vacancy isn't a problem.

Duplex or triplex is maybe a compromise, midway position.

If you might worry about such things, don't under estimate potential worry about how many properties might have roof damage when you're sitting at home hearing strong winds or how many basements might get flooded.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 7:56 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

What's the pull to stay in Canada in retirement?
Old Mar 21st 2018, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Post #11 in this thread gives you a clue.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 8:31 pm

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

It’s where we live now, so we just stay no thoughts of living in the U.K.

Woodstock NB was on our list as it is 10 mins from USA cheap gas and other stuff cheaper cross boarder, and property is for nowt. It’s on a river and has great motorcycle routes all around.

It’s not a certain for us to do just an option we are contemplating

We plan to do a trip there this summer see if we like it still (visited last year and would have stayed) , talk to realtors and see our cousin for a few days
Old Mar 21st 2018, 8:52 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Post #11 in this thread gives you a clue.
Dear God. If that's retirement planning, I think he better plan on working to pay for all that gas.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 8:57 pm

Dear God. If that's retirement planning, I think he better plan on working to pay for all that gas.
HA ha like I said, “sort of” retirement plan not 100% retired I need something to keep us busy
Old Mar 21st 2018, 9:22 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

It’s where we live now, so we just stay no thoughts of living in the U.K.

Woodstock NB was on our list as it is 10 mins from USA cheap gas and other stuff cheaper cross boarder, and property is for nowt. It’s on a river and has great motorcycle routes all around.

It’s not a certain for us to do just an option we are contemplating

We plan to do a trip there this summer see if we like it still (visited last year and would have stayed) , talk to realtors and see our cousin for a few days
Sounds like you are halfway there with the planning!

Just remember the crap weather in winter too though.. and the heating bills.. (and check out the flood areas before you buy!)

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 21st 2018 at 9:37 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Sounds like you are halfway there with the planning!

Just remember the crap weather in winter too though.. and the heating bills.. (and check out the flood areas before you buy!)
PEI is also an option, plan B maybe, buy several summer rentals ?

Last edited by magnumpi; Mar 21st 2018 at 10:25 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 5:17 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

PEI is also an option, plan B maybe, buy several summer rentals ?
You would certainly get a lot of money for summer rentals, I know when I was looking for September last year I was horrified at the prices, even that late in the season. I paid $950 for the week, for a 3 bedroom cottage on the water (which was discounted, she took pity on us) in northern Bruce Peninsula. Had it been a week earlier, it would have been $1700 - and that was one of the cheap ones! The one I really wanted to rent was $1,400 out of season - $2,300 in season. If I had sufficient money, I'd certainly be looking into buying a rental place.

I suppose the downside would be having to maintain the property and to clean them - though there are agencies who will 'book it out' for you and make the renter pay a penalty if they don't leave it clean and tidy. The requirements for proof of who we were (even down to the make, colour and number plate of the vehicle, d.o.b. and contact details for everyone staying) was quite a shock, but I can understand why. A renter also has to pay insurance for the week and pay in advance of the booking, so at least you are guaranteed that you will actually get paid.

Certainly something to consider anyway.

Old Mar 22nd 2018, 11:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Something to consider if you are coming to No Funswick in your old age is that the health care system here is very poor. I had to wait 5 weeks for a Doctors appointment just to get a referral to an orthopedic surgeon. Then six months to get a 10 min consultation. Then another six months to get an MRI. Over a year and I am in pain every day. Surgery waiting times here are 18 -24 months I read a study a while back that it ranks as the worst system in Canada by most measures. You are unlikely to be able to get a GP for the first few years here. The cost of nursing/care homes here is substantially higher than ON as the caps are much higher. Prescription drugs here are not free to over 65s which I believe they are in ON

Something to consider about property here. Its the opposite of Southern ON. In real terms here your property will likely lose value. Even over 20 years you would be lucky to break even. I would factor this into your decision. Perhaps Quinte region or peripheral cottage country would be a better bet financially?
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 12:05 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Might it be possible to keep your present home and just rent a place here for a couple of months in winter, so that you don't plunge in to very small, rural, NB without having experienced the winter for few weeks?

It can be pretty, and the people are generally very nice and friendly, and I can see that if one has a relative it would be a pull, but the winters can be more than a little difficult - there are all sort of practical things that you just can't do when the ground is frozen from November until May that can prove frustrating.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 1:28 pm
Lowering the tone

For us, I can see that retirement will involve a city-centre apartment, not a big house in the country.

No garden to take care of, amenities on the doorstep, good public transport.

Question is, which city?
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 1:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

For us, I can see that retirement will involve a city-centre apartment, not a big house in the country.

No garden to take care of, amenities on the doorstep, good public transport.

Question is, which city?
That’s what we have done...although more through circumstances than choice. I quite enjoy living in the city...although I would like a larger condo. Hubby on the other hand is struggling. He’s a DIY guy and misses pottering around in the garage and garden. Living in a condo that’s much, much smaller than the size of the house takes some getting used to.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 1:44 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I'd still look at Ontario and a holiday let. One house at 350k another at 250k to rent out could bring in $200 a day. A run down hunting cabin is also an option to buy and let.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.