Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Some difficult news from Oakvillian

Some difficult news from Oakvillian

Old Dec 12th 2016, 6:00 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some difficult news from Oakvillian

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Well, bloody hell. I just popped in to see what Schnooks and Heather have been up to on my behalf... and now I'm sitting in the hospital reading this thread and blubbing like a very blubby thing. Thank you, everyone, you're lovely people.

It's been an absolutely hellish and yet completely life-affirming month. Rosie is fighting hard: long-stay ICU patients typically have all sorts of challenges in addition to the ones they came in with, and we've certainly had our fair share of those, but in general the number of tubes being removed has exceeded the number of new ones being put in, and Rosie is in remarkably good spirits considering all that she has been through. She's now being helped into a wheelchair for an hour or two a couple of times a day, and is pissed off enough with the number of people it takes to help her with even the most mundane of tasks that she is determined to regain her independence: when challenged to a game of Connect Four by one of her nurses, the forfeit Rosie asked for if she won was "an hour of being left alone with nobody bothering me."

We have, too, been genuinely overwhelmed (to the point of sobbing, frequently) by the generosity of local, global and virtual friends. The GoFundMe thing is completely extraordinary: a friend set it up because we'd sorted out a bank account but people who didn't have access to RBC couldn't contribute. We had no idea it would take off like it has, and with typical British horror at discussing anything connected with money in public, we find the whole thing acutely difficult and embarrassing. We have no idea, at this stage, what financial help Rosie will need, either in the short term as we prepare the house to accommodate a ten-year-old in a wheelchair, or in the long term as she deals with a lifetime of paraplegia and all its attendant challenges. I would like to think that a little bit of it will be set aside for her first full-contact wheelchair sports chair, I reckon that would be a good ambition to encourage!

I really, really appreciate everyone's messages of support. I'll pop in here from time to time over the next few weeks but probably won't post much. Thank you all
Oh Oaky, thank you for commenting here. I don't know what to say, I want to say something wise and comforting and affectionate but I just don't know how.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 6:24 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Thinking of you all and sending many positive vibes and best wishes to Rosie, stay strong, fantastic to see the support near and far.
Old Dec 13th 2016, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Horrible, tragic incidents like this have the effect of bringing out the very best in people. We all feel so helpless reading Rosie's story that the very least we can do is send some dollars that will at least help her along the recovery path and remind the family they are in the thoughts of so many people around the world.
She certainly sounds a strong tenacious personality and that will be a real plus over the coming weeks and months, with a great family and community to support her.
I can't begin to imagine what you're all going through, emotionally and practically, but Rosie's in my thoughts regularly through the day, as I'm sure is the same for many others in this community.
Old Dec 13th 2016, 11:45 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Been following the story and just want to say from t'other side of the world, what an amazing place BE is, how everyone always rallies around those that need it year after year. It's an awesome community. All the best Oak, Rosie and family. Rosie sounds like a fabulous little girl and I'm sure once she's in control of those wheels there'll be no stopping her.
Old Dec 13th 2016, 1:25 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

There is now a public Facebook page for Rosie that the neighbours have set up, you can find it here: https://www.facebook.com/TheRosieSpa...c_ref=NEWSFEED

Rosie had a visit this week from three members of the Canadian Women's Soccer Team from Rio, who won Bronze. One of them is also from Oakville and attended Rosie's school. The photo and a bit more information is here: https://www.facebook.com/TheRosieSpa...type=3&theater

(You don't need a Facebook account to see the post, you'll just have to ignore a prompt asking you to sign up.)

Last edited by SchnookoLoly; Dec 13th 2016 at 1:27 pm.
Old Dec 13th 2016, 3:14 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
There is now a public Facebook page for Rosie that the neighbours have set up, you can find it here: https://www.facebook.com/TheRosieSpa...c_ref=NEWSFEED

Rosie had a visit this week from three members of the Canadian Women's Soccer Team from Rio, who won Bronze. One of them is also from Oakville and attended Rosie's school. The photo and a bit more information is here: https://www.facebook.com/TheRosieSpa...type=3&theater

(You don't need a Facebook account to see the post, you'll just have to ignore a prompt asking you to sign up.)
Thanks for that, now following.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 11:53 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

It's still going up. That 25k is within reach (and that doesn't include the RBC donations).

Good stuff.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
It's still going up. That 25k is within reach (and that doesn't include the RBC donations).

Good stuff.
I went in to my local RBC branch yesterday and when I handed over my post it note with the details written on it they said, 'you are the second person this morning to come in and donate to this' so the evidence suggests that the RBC fund should be substantial too.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 1:43 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
I went in to my local RBC branch yesterday and when I handed over my post it note with the details written on it they said, 'you are the second person this morning to come in and donate to this' so the evidence suggests that the RBC fund should be substantial too.
At least ten BE-ers in Canada have also donated through RBC... or at least I'm assuming those who PM'd me asking for the details actually went through with it, lol.

For those in Oakville or the surrounding area, Rosie's school friends are doing a huge bake sale fundraiser on Sunday at the Canadian Tire at Trafalgar and Dundas. The info is on Facebook. There will also be a raffle with a whole host of great prizes on the list.

You can also buy raffle tickets by messaging the people linked on the Facebook post if you can't make it in person.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 3:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
I received quite a grilling when I went to RBC. The teller ummed and ahhed when I handed over my cheque...asked what the fund was for...asked for photo ID. Then said he had to get approval from the manager. Money laundering I suppose...
Old Dec 14th 2016, 3:20 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I received quite a grilling when I went to RBC. The teller ummed and ahhed when I handed over my cheque...asked what the fund was for...asked for photo ID. Then said he had to get approval from the manager. Money laundering I suppose...
Probably just a clueless jobsworth (unless you were depositing several millions).
Old Dec 14th 2016, 3:38 pm
Concierge

You are most definitely a shady lady...
Old Dec 14th 2016, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

I got the impression that my experience was somewhat smoothed by the person before me. The teller called over the supervisor and said, 'is this what you just emailed us about?' and that was when the supervisor said there had been someone in before that day. I told them the story, I am hoping they might chip in a bit themselves.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 4:59 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Such a tough journey for Rosie and her family, sending much love
Old Dec 14th 2016, 5:19 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

As I've failed to get into RBC during opening hours & looked unlikely to do so anytime soon I've donated through GFM instead. It's certainly a convenient way to do so & as I've said upthread their take is 8% or so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.