Solar shingles

Old Mar 22nd 2017, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute
Default Solar shingles

We are considering adding solar shingles on our roof with tie in to the grid. Has anyone done this?
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 5:58 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Solar shingles

That's an interesting idea.

I'm quite keen on the steel roof idea now that I've seen some that look good but this has some similarities.

What happens if there's snow on the roof when the sun shines though? I see the snow is supposed to melt off, but would it really do that when a couple of feet have fallen and it's very cold? Would it not freeze too much to melt off?
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 7:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
We are considering adding solar shingles on our roof with tie in to the grid. Has anyone done this?
We have solar panels on our roof. I wouldn't describe them as shingles, they are large panels. Ours feed into the grid.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
We have solar panels on our roof. I wouldn't describe them as shingles, they are large panels. Ours feed into the grid.
Same principle, the shingles I think are a newer technology and they fit in with the roof line rather than the panels which tend to sit on top. Do you send your full production to the grid for a fee? Or do you use some yourself and then send the excess to the grid? There seems to be two options here.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 8:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Same principle, the shingles I think are a newer technology and they fit in with the roof line rather than the panels which tend to sit on top. Do you send your full production to the grid for a fee? Or do you use some yourself and then send the excess to the grid? There seems to be two options here.
The way that ours works (we have wind too) is that it is connected to our mains via some form of two way switch so, if we are not producing enough, we take from the grid and, if we are producing too much, it goes into the grid.

In Alberta, the grid producers have to purchase our excess at the same rate they sell to us. We make a profit each month. We have a roof that faces due south and we have nothing around that interferes with line of sight of the sun once it is high enough.

As you are likely aware, initial costs are high.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

The way that ours works (we have wind too) is that it is connected to our mains via some form of two way switch so, if we are not producing enough, we take from the grid and, if we are producing too much, it goes into the grid.

In Alberta, the grid producers have to purchase our excess at the same rate they sell to us. We make a profit each month. We have a roof that faces due south and we have nothing around that interferes with line of sight of the sun once it is high enough.

As you are likely aware, initial costs are high.
Thanks, yes aware about initial costs, it's not cheap. Have you found it to be worth it? We are planning to stay in the house for a long time and are trying to figure out how long it would take to pay for itself.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 10:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks, yes aware about initial costs, it's not cheap. Have you found it to be worth it? We are planning to stay in the house for a long time and are trying to figure out how long it would take to pay for itself.
We looked into this while in the UK. The plan was to buy a plot and do a complete unique build, incorporating as many renewables as we could.

Once we moved to our acreage, we looked into it here too. I would love to be able to have concrete floors above the basement so as to be able to use solar water to heat with too. Unfortunately, that would require a virtual rebuild and my heart can't take that!

I am very glad that we did it. We were lucky in that we didn't really have to look into the pay back period. If we had, I doubt we would have done it.

I anticipate that the costs will decrease massively as the world becomes more concerned with renewables so, if I was planning to stay in one location for a long time, I may hold off for a few years to defray the costs somewhat.

Also, bear in mind that one doesn't have to purchase in Canada, although that adds levels of stress that you may wish to avoid. Having said that, the Alberta government has just contracted with an outfit in Ontario as they allege there is minimal expertise in Alberta. You may find that you have all you need on your doorstep.

You'll have to let us all know when you get your first chickens. On 33 acres, it would be a crime not too
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

We looked into this while in the UK. The plan was to buy a plot and do a complete unique build, incorporating as many renewables as we could.

Once we moved to our acreage, we looked into it here too. I would love to be able to have concrete floors above the basement so as to be able to use solar water to heat with too. Unfortunately, that would require a virtual rebuild and my heart can't take that!

I am very glad that we did it. We were lucky in that we didn't really have to look into the pay back period. If we had, I doubt we would have done it.

I anticipate that the costs will decrease massively as the world becomes more concerned with renewables so, if I was planning to stay in one location for a long time, I may hold off for a few years to defray the costs somewhat.

Also, bear in mind that one doesn't have to purchase in Canada, although that adds levels of stress that you may wish to avoid. Having said that, the Alberta government has just contracted with an outfit in Ontario as they allege there is minimal expertise in Alberta. You may find that you have all you need on your doorstep.

You'll have to let us all know when you get your first chickens. On 33 acres, it would be a crime not too
Thanks for the information, that has been helpful. The chickens I think are scheduled for 2018, I need to get my head around tree farming first - which means actually trying to recognise the varieties of trees before I venture into how to look after them. The house has a Kachelofen (wood burning masonry stove) which will heat the entire house provided the outside temperature is warmer than -10C. Obviously we have our own well water too, so we are heading to self sufficiency quite quickly. I want a goat or two but I am hitting some resistance from him indoors on that one.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 12:48 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the information, that has been helpful. The chickens I think are scheduled for 2018, I need to get my head around tree farming first - which means actually trying to recognise the varieties of trees before I venture into how to look after them. The house has a Kachelofen (wood burning masonry stove) which will heat the entire house provided the outside temperature is warmer than -10C. Obviously we have our own well water too, so we are heading to self sufficiency quite quickly. I want a goat or two but I am hitting some resistance from him indoors on that one.
April 30th is the date for the Mount Forest Fur and Feather Sale. Lots of people selling chickens, goats, llamas, sheep and less likely creatures from trucks and stock trailers. I'm not saying you want to go but, if you did, you would be well advised to go early and to take torches and some cardboard boxes to put chickens in. I don't know what one would put goats in but then I've never been sufficiently masochist to take goats home even when they were free.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
April 30th is the date for the Mount Forest Fur and Feather Sale. Lots of people selling chickens, goats, llamas, sheep and less likely creatures from trucks and stock trailers. I'm not saying you want to go but, if you did, you would be well advised to go early and to take torches and some cardboard boxes to put chickens in. I don't know what one would put goats in but then I've never been sufficiently masochist to take goats home even when they were free.
Thanks, that sounds like an interesting trip. I like goats, although that camel just outside of Arthur looked like fun too, struggling to think of a use for a camel in Wellington county though.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 12:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, that sounds like an interesting trip. I like goats, although that camel just outside of Arthur looked like fun too, struggling to think of a use for a camel in Wellington county though.
I go past the camel place on highway 109 all the time, they have several camels, zebras, lots of horses and ponies, it's some sort of animal freak show provider. What I found more surprising was an advert from someone in Grand Valley seeking a companion animal for her horse because her camel had died of a heart attack. It was complete with pictures of her riding the camel, she was squished between the humps with the, now lonely, horse being ponied (pulled on a rope) alongside. Who would guess that there were two locations with camels nearby?

There's a goat cheese dairy just across the road from the camel place, they currently, and regularly, have goats for sale. Don't pay a lot though, the Ontario Livestock for Sale Facebook group has daily posts from people desperate to give goats away.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 2:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dbd33
It still amazes me that we obtained our chicks via mail order. I very much doubt that I would have survived being sent to someone when I was a day old.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

It still amazes me that we obtained our chicks via mail order. I very much doubt that I would have survived being sent to someone when I was a day old.
I know its quite incredible isn't it? I read that they are always the first parcel to be sent out for delivery because the cheeping drives the postal workers crazy - perhaps another cause of 'going postal'.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 6:01 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Really, they send live chickens out by parcel ?! How much do they cost?
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Shard
Really, they send live chickens out by parcel ?! How much do they cost?
It depends on the breed of chicken, the sex and how many you buy. About 2-3 bucks a chick looks about right. Males are considerably less expensive than the females, although I don't think determining which is which is an exact science at that age.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.