The smokers thread

Old Apr 9th 2007, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute
Default The smokers thread

You'd think that I'd have more sense really, but yes, I am a smoker, formerly B & H Gold, now Golden Virginia self-rolled with the occasional ready-rolled when I get them duty free.

Now, as we are about to apply for PR, I have fears about the dreaded chest x-ray in the distant future, and what harm has already been done to my lungs, and what will continue to happen for the next however many years it takes to get to our medicals!

Okay, so I know that to allay these fears slightly, I should give up right now, this minute, but I haven't yet found the right minute.

Sounds simple to ex or non-smokers doesn't it? Give up right now, my body does not appreciate this disgusting habit, and it is the one and only thing that I would do differently if I had my life over. (I think it's the only thing!)

Surely I am not the only smoker on this forum with these worries. I do know that I couldn't find another thread on the subject.

So who managed to give up smoking because of the thought of chest x-rays for medicals?

Who hasn't given up but intends to? (Support group in the making?)

Who wants to, but hasn't found the right minute?

I'd be interested to hear if anyone dare to share!
Old Apr 10th 2007, 1:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

macmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The smokers thread

You never totally give up Robin - after 40 years I don't actively smoke but when I get a whiff of smoke in the air it brings back memories. Thinking about it I didn't actually give up it was more a case of not starting again after a chest infection that had me coughing, hacking and struggling to breathe for about 3 weeks - young kids and not smoked for 3 weeks made it the 'right minute' for me I guess.
Good luck - hope your meds go ok and your 'right minute' comes along.
Originally Posted by Robin (The Gadget family)

........... I should give up right now, this minute, but I haven't yet found the right minute.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 2:20 am
JKM
Just Joined

JKM is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Robin,
I am not a smoker, my husband was for a few years. I can appreciate that it will be difficult to give them up. Try the nicotine patches they are supposed to help. Create a Canada Fund with the money you save and buy some gadget when you get here.
For the medical you do have to have a CXR, so if you gave them up now it will give you a chance to improve your health.
Good luck
Old Apr 10th 2007, 5:23 am
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

You'd think that I'd have more sense really, but yes, I am a smoker, formerly B & H Gold, now Golden Virginia self-rolled with the occasional ready-rolled when I get them duty free.

Now, as we are about to apply for PR, I have fears about the dreaded chest x-ray in the distant future, and what harm has already been done to my lungs, and what will continue to happen for the next however many years it takes to get to our medicals!

Okay, so I know that to allay these fears slightly, I should give up right now, this minute, but I haven't yet found the right minute.

Sounds simple to ex or non-smokers doesn't it? Give up right now, my body does not appreciate this disgusting habit, and it is the one and only thing that I would do differently if I had my life over. (I think it's the only thing!)

Surely I am not the only smoker on this forum with these worries. I do know that I couldn't find another thread on the subject.

So who managed to give up smoking because of the thought of chest x-rays for medicals?

Give it up now while you have some incentive. I was a 3-pack a day smoker, managed to finally quit with birth of my first grandchild, wanted to stick around to watch him grow. Not to mention never wanting him around smoke. Nicotine patches work. Good luck.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

Friend of mine tried everything to give up and couldn't. Then she tried some hypnotherapy - hasn't wanted a cigarette since. Says the thought of one makes her feel sick.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 9:32 am

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Robin,
Yes, like you I am terrified of the dreaded X ray and what it might show!
Not just from a medical life threatening point of view but also could prevent access to Canada.....

I also have nagging husband and children to contend with, with the law changing July 1st I had already decided to try 'giving up' again, this will be attempt number 4 and I am considering hypnotherapy, as I have already tried willpower and patches.

Even so, the damage will still have been done...gulp.

Charlie
Old Apr 10th 2007, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute

My thanks to all that have replied and for your support, so far only one is in my position right now though....
Originally Posted by purple80
Hi Robin,
Yes, like you I am terrified of the dreaded X ray and what it might show!
Not just from a medical life threatening point of view but also could prevent access to Canada.....

I also have nagging husband and children to contend with, with the law changing July 1st I had already decided to try 'giving up' again, this will be attempt number 4 and I am considering hypnotherapy, as I have already tried willpower and patches.

Even so, the damage will still have been done...gulp.

Charlie
I know that our medicals will be years away and that's if our PR app is successful but I have to think ahead on this one, and it would be too awful for words to have got that far, just to fail on a chest x-ray.
Purple - Are you considering Alan Carr's hypnotherapy? Come back here to let me know how you get on, and I'll do the same when I find my 'right minute'.

My OH just had a chest x-ray done on the NHS because of a chest infection and was pleased to report a clear chest! He is an ex-smoker but succeeded where I failed about 14 yrs ago, so this has highlighted my concern about going for one and got me thinking big time. My family nag too, quite rightly, horrible smelly habit that it is.

Well, this is a support group of 2 so far, any others out there?
Old Apr 10th 2007, 10:14 am

My thanks to all that have replied and for your support, so far only one is in my position right now though....

I know that our medicals will be years away and that's if our PR app is successful but I have to think ahead on this one, and it would be too awful for words to have got that far, just to fail on a chest x-ray.
Purple - Are you considering Alan Carr's hypnotherapy? Come back here to let me know how you get on, and I'll do the same when I find my 'right minute'.

My OH just had a chest x-ray done on the NHS because of a chest infection and was pleased to report a clear chest! He is an ex-smoker but succeeded where I failed about 14 yrs ago, so this has highlighted my concern about going for one and got me thinking big time. My family nag too, quite rightly, horrible smelly habit that it is.

Well, this is a support group of 2 so far, any others out there?
Hi Robin,
I tried both the Alan Carr books to no avail, in fact I think one is still in my bedside drawer.

My sister in law tried to persuade me to try his hypnotherapy, she even offered to pay on the proviso that I only had to pay her back if it was sucessful, I just came up with excuses, I really wasn't motivated at the time.

Hopefully I am getting to that 'point' at the moment, I am almost tempted to have an x ray done privately, but then again if it comes back ok, where is the motivation? Like most smokers I know its affecting my health, but i enjoy it.

Personaly I just wished I had never started.....and yes it is a disgusting habit!

Charlie
Old Apr 10th 2007, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

I have been considering having one done privately too. About £250 that I don't have spare right now though, because we will very soon have to be paying out nearly £700 for our PR app so I need to hang on to all the spare pennies! I went to Alan Carr in Raynes Park in 1992, just didn't work for me and I got a refund after attending all the sessions. Now I have a copy of his book sitting next to my bed!
Old Apr 10th 2007, 10:29 am

I have been considering having one done privately too. About £250 that I don't have spare right now though, because we will very soon have to be paying out nearly £700 for our PR app so I need to hang on to all the spare pennies! I went to Alan Carr in Raynes Park in 1992, just didn't work for me and I got a refund after attending all the sessions. Now I have a copy of his book sitting next to my bed!
Great minds think alike???? Yes, the cost puts me off as well....

Support group up and running then??

Charlie
Old Apr 10th 2007, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by purple80
Great minds think alike???? Yes, the cost puts me off as well....

Support group up and running then??

Charlie
Yep, thanks, I don't feel like I'm the only one now! I bet others will be along too! Once they get over the 'OMG I'm admitting to being a smoker on a public forum' feeling1
Old Apr 10th 2007, 10:43 am

OMG, is the right word we are pariah's these days....
Anyway just off for a coffee and a embaressing thingy in the garden (banned myself from the house 5 years ago - when children arrived).
Think I'm going to set a date to stop - July 1st.
With me Robin????
Charlie
Old Apr 10th 2007, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Any reason why July 1st??
Old Apr 10th 2007, 10:47 am

Any reason why July 1st??
It's when the smoking ban comes into force in England. plus time to prepare self, book hypnotherpy etc....
Charlie
Old Apr 10th 2007, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Well, we'll see.... I'll report here if I give up before then! (Did you just see that pig fly past?)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.