Smartphone-itis

Old Oct 7th 2017, 9:34 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Smartphone-itis

Wondering why your smartphone is so addictive? Here's why...

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...alley-dystopia

It's interesting that relatively young and immature individuals (Zuckeberg et al) are reshaping society inadvertently.
Old Oct 7th 2017, 12:22 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Smartphone-itis

Originally Posted by Shard
Wondering why your smartphone is so addictive?

Old Oct 7th 2017, 12:33 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

It's not a phone tho is it, these things are hand held computers, I communicate with my cell occasionally where as using my cell as a computer is 90% of its activity!! Like now reading and answering this thread.
Old Oct 7th 2017, 12:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
It's not a phone tho is it, these things are hand held computers, I communicate with my cell occasionally where as using my cell as a computer is 90% of its activity!!

I had an email the other day promoting the Google Pixel 2.

I read that it was a new way to capture, store and see the world, takes great photos in any light, fast charging battery, google assistant etc. A feature to search what you "see" and gain information about it.

"A more impressive camera. All-around."

Goodness me I thought, they've actually brought out something that takes pictures and isn't a phone.

Then right at the bottom...

Pre-order your Google Pixel 2 phone today
Old Oct 7th 2017, 12:46 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
It's not a phone tho is it, these things are hand held computers, I communicate with my cell occasionally where as using my cell as a computer is 90% of its activity!! Like now reading and answering this thread.
We're all in that boat Magnum. The gist of the article is that the silicon valley engineers have made smartphones operate a bit like slot machines, to keep us actively engaged. I think Bristol's advice is probably as good as it gets. (I say while replying to a forum post )
Old Oct 7th 2017, 12:50 pm
Yo

Well 'phone' is just an easy name for the device. Although, I do recall when function phones came out about 15 years ago, a friend making a big song and dance about only wanting to have a phone to make phone calls!
Old Oct 7th 2017, 1:16 pm

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

These smart phones have become a necessity in my line of work, in this modern era. I can use my phone to access files on file maker, identify people utilising Facebook and Instagram and fill in my hours and activity, again using the FileMaker app. My work comes through the phone , I can dictate my reports onto my phone then transfer them to my computer basically without my phone I think I would be screwed. Not to mention using the phone, for navigation and map work, including satellite reviews of areas that I am unsure of to locate a back way out.

In the 90s and early 2 thousands we did work without smartphones and most likely in the future there will be something new that we can't do without, but at the moment I am happy with my iPhone unless of course I lose it then that's when my world ends.
Old Oct 7th 2017, 1:22 pm
Oscar nominated

Well 'phone' is just an easy name for the device. Although, I do recall when function phones came out about 15 years ago, a friend making a big song and dance about only wanting to have a phone to make phone calls!
To be honest, I don't even like carrying a wallet in a pocket when I'm out and that's at least flexible in the way a phone isn't.

Perhaps the answer is to not have it in pocket but hold it in hand and be forever using it as many appear to do.

My "aversion" is to carrying something when I don't have the lifestyle to justify it.

When they invent something that you don't feel and can operate on thought and the image comes up "just there" or in the palm of your hand, say, then I'll be interested. Or dead.
Old Oct 7th 2017, 3:32 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by BristolUK
To be honest, I don't even like carrying a wallet in a pocket when I'm out and that's at least flexible in the way a phone isn't.

Perhaps the answer is to not have it in pocket but hold it in hand and be forever using it as many appear to do.

My "aversion" is to carrying something when I don't have the lifestyle to justify it.

When they invent something that you don't feel and can operate on thought and the image comes up "just there" or in the palm of your hand, say, then I'll be interested. Or dead.
iWatch ?
Old Oct 7th 2017, 3:39 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

iWatch ?
What do you Watch?
Old Oct 7th 2017, 3:55 pm
Oscar nominated

iWatch ?
When I said the image comes up "just there" I meant hologram style. Like that ad that used to be on telly with the string quartet (or whatever) playing on the living room coffee table, or Princess Leia

The display has to be bigger than the watch but, yes, it was something unobtrusive like a watch I had in mind but operated by thought, not speech or thumbing away on something tiny. (I don't wear a watch either mind you )

The difficulty of something small, hands free but where you have to talk is that everyone else around you thinks your'e muttering to yourself and they avoid you.
Old Oct 7th 2017, 4:05 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have any friends and generally avoid people but I tend to be glued to my phone these days and much to HID's annoyance take it from room to room. My one concession to traditionalism is I don't take it into the toilet.
Old Oct 7th 2017, 4:16 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I don't have any friends and generally avoid people but I tend to be glued to my phone these days and much to HID's annoyance take it from room to room. My one concession to traditionalism is I don't take it into the toilet.
Donald Trump must have been taking a huge dump this morning, 7 tweets sent in a short space of time.

I only have two rules re: phones in my house.

1. No touching phones at the table either before, during or after dinner.
2. When someone is talking to you, phone down and pay attention to the person talking instead of the phone.
Old Oct 7th 2017, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B
Donald Trump must have been taking a huge dump this morning, 7 tweets sent in a short space of time.

2. When someone is talking to you, phone down and pay attention to the person talking instead of the phone.
Whatever happened to multitasking
Old Oct 7th 2017, 4:42 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B

Sounds a bit harsh. How do you look things up when someone is talking bollocks??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.