The Smart world

Old Mar 28th 2018, 10:54 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Smart world

According to the Guardian:
These days you can buy a “smart” version of just about anything. There are connected toasters, which let you personalise your toast settings and notify your phone when your breakfast is ready.
Where might one be or what might one be doing so as to be unaware of the toast popping up?
In the bathroom? With your phone presumably. And you're going to leave after being interrupted or wait until you've done and then go to the toaster - something which you'd have surely done anyway because you put your bread or bagel in to toast prior to going to the bathroom.

Maybe you're getting intimate with your partner - I say 'getting' because you only just put the toaster on and you won't have got any further yet. So your phone alerts you to the toast popping up...do you stop what you started?

Maybe you popped to the shop next door - literally - because you were out of coffee. But you're coming back anyway, aren't you. Are you going back quicker because your phone told you your toast is ready?
Old Mar 28th 2018, 10:59 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Smart world

There are internet-connected umbrellas, which alert you if it looks like it’s going to rain.
I'm not quite sure what this means. You're on the internet already, perhaps, so look at a weather site for local weather. Or maybe even look out the window.

Or is it the umbrella that alerts you. How does it alert you, after you've left home, without it? That's good isn't it.

Or maybe it beeps or vibrates in your hand, which means you already have it.

Old Mar 28th 2018, 11:01 am
Oscar nominated

If you are an iPhone user, turn off your AirDrop function while in a public place or limit it to contacts. This stops strangers on the train from sending you unsolicited dick pics via AirDrop, which is a thing that actually happens because of course it does.
Old Mar 28th 2018, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

So very sad that people can't make decisions for themselves anymore. I have a relative who asks on FB about almost every single purchase she's considering, if she had a machine to decide for her she would 100% rely on it
Old Mar 28th 2018, 12:02 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it's very sad. I remember the foof about the toasters as it seemed that smart toasters had been linked to a number of house fires.

I get sick of seeing 'loving couples' both staring at their phones and texting, and must say we have been guilty of doing that in my family

My pet hate is when I'm speaking to my son or husband and I can see them surreptitiously eyeing a phone or pad...it drives me crackers

Facebook is the spawn of the devil - I can see it's allure if you have close family in foreign parts, but really if you lost track of some of these sad sorts that want to follow you around electronically like a leaden weight...you probably lost track of them for a very good reason
Old Mar 28th 2018, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Facebook is the spawn of the devil - I can see it's allure if you have close family in foreign parts, but really if you lost track of some of these sad sorts that want to follow you around electronically like a leaden weight...you probably lost track of them for a very good reason
Exactly. As I've said on this forum before I don't have Facebook. If I wanted to keep in touch with people I knew when I was a teen I would have found a way to connect with them. For many any meetups are just lost in the hazy recollections of the past which are often exaggerated. Many people I know wonder how I deal w/o Facebook (the last couple of weeks FB data mining may ake people change their mind) and how I keep in touch with people and I manage to do it just fine.

Acquaintances of my wife and I recently got separated and are getting divorced. The wife in the couple is apparently one of those people who shares way too much on FB including new photos of her and the new guy in her life with a comment something along the lines of 'enjoying my new single life. I should have done this sooner'. I'm sure her kids will see this and I'm sure they're not impressed.

Things you post on FB have a way of biting you on the backside at some point in the future.
Old Mar 28th 2018, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
According to the Guardian:

Where might one be or what might one be doing so as to be unaware of the toast popping up?
In the bathroom? With your phone presumably. And you're going to leave after being interrupted or wait until you've done and then go to the toaster - something which you'd have surely done anyway because you put your bread or bagel in to toast prior to going to the bathroom.
A solution looking for a problem.
Old Mar 28th 2018, 12:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

I have always seen toasters as a pointless purchase.

Does anyone else make toast under the grill on the hob in a pan?

I find it amazing when you go to Pubs, Cafes etc and you see groups of people sitting together but all just head down on their phone. Surely this has a negative effect on social skills, sense of humour ets? Whats the bloody point? You might as well go home!

I think that FB is good for keeping up with people and stuff from far flung places as Millie says. I have never understood those that post everything that they are doing day to day.
Old Mar 28th 2018, 1:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201
I think it depends on the volume of toast required. If I am making four slices of toast to eat alone then I follow the approach advocated on the toast thread of the Gruaniad talk board and use the vertically slotted machine. If I'm making cheese toast for two or more people then I adhere to the model advocated on the sourdough facebook group and use the grill. I tend not to use the phone apps to track the need for toast flipping as the toast app iconography closely matches that used by the cat door open/close app and I'm concerned that, in seeking to spin my slices, I'll bifurcate a moggy.
Old Mar 28th 2018, 1:34 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Clearly a fandroid person, airdrop is usually limited to known contacts whose dick you have presumably seen...
Old Mar 28th 2018, 1:38 pm

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Can i recommend the sage toaster [by hesten for fanboys, actually made by breville for others]

Its an aptly named crematoria model, no lever to push, a button magically retracts bread and later spews forth toast.
Old Mar 28th 2018, 2:45 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Alex2201
Cheese on toast yes. It tends to slide off in the toaster. Or a panini sort of grill for a toastie.
Old Mar 28th 2018, 2:59 pm

Cheese on toast yes. It tends to slide off in the toaster. Or a panini sort of grill for a toastie.
I know theres a special paper bag that works with toasties in the toaster, but a find horizontally in the microwave more useful.
Old Mar 28th 2018, 3:49 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
I know theres a special paper bag that works with toasties in the toaster, but a find horizontally in the microwave more useful.
Microwave? Toast in the microwave?

You may be as snobby as you like about pretentious chocolate, but you lose all claim to culinary purity from here on in, I'm afraid!
Old Mar 28th 2018, 3:52 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Panini sort of grill should work ok. Yonks ago my father-in-law gave us one of those type of things - opens and shuts like a book, compressing the contents - with interchangeable non-stick waffle-iron pads and toastie pads. Worked a treat, apart from the fact it only had two settings, off and on, so you had to watch the thing like a hawk. OH eventually got hacked off with it and consigned it to the great recycling skip.

How come such a good idea can get to market with no timer or temperature control?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.