Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Smart technology and older people lol.

Smart technology and older people lol.

Old Dec 11th 2017, 6:39 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Smart technology and older people lol.

The major one for me is sat-nav. I always preferred to check and understand where I was going. I simply could not have left the house unless I knew I had checked where I was going.

Nowadays I am a reluctant but lazy convert to sat-nav. I will absolutely leave the house armed only with a postcode and I hate myself for it.
Old Dec 11th 2017, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
I have amajor issue with today's 'smart' technology.

It's dumb to place so much reliance on gadgets that seek to eliminate the 'plan B' in our lives. Plan A, the smart phone or whatever, is wonderful when it works, and it does this most of the time.. but when it doesn't the absense of a plan B raises the blood pressure and leaves you sweating.

There is a general inability of most to understand the design fundamentals of the gadget.

How many have pushed the little button marked 'Return to factory settings' and stared wide eyed in the hope that it'll do just that? How many have breathed a big sigh of relief when it springs once again into life or sunk despairing in the nearest chair and reached for the wine when it hasn't?

Out there, there are engineers who design and build gadgets. These are the people in control of their lives, the rest of us simply hope that they have their brains in gear because we have come to rely on them so much.

Let's face it, we've become slaves to little plastic boxes and they run our lives for us. Forget the CIA or whatever the KGB calls itself today, it's technology that has us in it's grip today and we should use it with care.

I totally agree....and to be fair it is millenials that are the worst for this, but as the younger millenials have never known a life before technology can we really blame them not having a plan B? It just how life with technology is nowadays and increasingly progressing.
Old Dec 11th 2017, 6:50 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I have amajor issue with today's 'smart' technology.
Let's face it, we've become slaves to little plastic boxes and they run our lives for us.
I don't have a problem, just reject the culture of victim-hood and use it for what you want, and ignore any and all advertising.
Old Dec 11th 2017, 6:55 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Nowadays I am a reluctant but lazy convert to sat-nav. I will absolutely leave the house armed only with a postcode and I hate myself for it.
This looks like the one I got, cheap but it works and other than lack of bluetooth no complaints.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot-...StoreLevelAB=0
Old Dec 11th 2017, 7:26 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
I totally agree....and to be fair it is millenials that are the worst for this, but as the younger millenials have never known a life before technology can we really blame them not having a plan B? It just how life with technology is nowadays and increasingly progressing.
Reminds me of my maths teacher handing out books of log tables, telling us that even though we had scientific calculators we 'still needed to know how to read a log book'. He did concede that we didn't need to read a slide rule.

Dinosaurs will die out.
Old Dec 11th 2017, 7:33 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Dinosaurs will die out.
So will mankind, possibly from the same catastrophic events that got the dinosaurs.
Old Dec 11th 2017, 7:41 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

How many have pushed the little button marked 'Return to factory settings'...
What intriguing possibilities if we all had one of those to go back.
Old Dec 11th 2017, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Reminds me of my maths teacher handing out books of log tables, telling us that even though we had scientific calculators we 'still needed to know how to read a log book'. He did concede that we didn't need to read a slide rule.

Dinosaurs will die out.
Yes I remember that. Bet they dont do that now, Plan B has been eliminated.
Old Dec 11th 2017, 8:17 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
...Plan B has been eliminated.
Isn't Plan B the back-up/recovery disc?
Old Dec 11th 2017, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Isn't Plan B the back-up/recovery disc?
Yeah but they threw that out with the instructions that no one reads!
Old Dec 11th 2017, 10:37 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Dinosaurs will die out.
I wonder if the next generation of students will still learn languages, given the speed at which simultaneous machine translation is developing. Of course, there will always be people who learn languages as end in itself, but as 'practical tool' its value must be diminishing.
Old Dec 11th 2017, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
A man got in his time machine, travelled back 100 years and explained to the people that he was from the future. They asked, "How is it different in your time, can you give us an example?" He replied "I have in my pocket a device that can access all the available information in the world, and I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers."
Haha that sums things up!
Old Dec 12th 2017, 1:32 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
No, at Pearson they won't allow you into the queue for dropping off bags (the old check-in) unless you have your boarding pass, as my sister found out.
But even if you have it they'll still let you drop your baggage off at domestic instead of US as we found out.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 1:33 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I wonder if the next generation of students will still learn languages, given the speed at which simultaneous machine translation is developing. Of course, there will always be people who learn languages as end in itself, but as 'practical tool' its value must be diminishing.
I doubt it. They can barely write so if that's an indication of deskilling then languages will go
Old Dec 12th 2017, 2:16 am
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by bats
I doubt it. They can barely write so if that's an indication of deskilling then languages will go
A return to teaching cursive writing would get my approval.
Is the emerging auto-translator going to replace the learning of languages or be a breakthrough teaching aid? I think it must have potential, for instance if used all day every day in a foreign country might it not help someone achieve fluency more quickly?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.