Christmas post

Old Nov 5th 2017, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

hannah1001 is a jewel in the roughhannah1001 is a jewel in the roughhannah1001 is a jewel in the roughhannah1001 is a jewel in the rough
Default Christmas post

With all the snow arriving and Halloween over, my thoughts are turning to Christmas. In a desperate attempt to be organised this year (not my usual forte! ) I'm starting to think about sending Christmas parcels to the UK. What's the best way to do this? Is Canada Post the way to go, or is there a cheaper/more reliable alternative? It'll just be relatively small boxes, but we have quite a few to send!
Similarly, do folks in the UK just use Royal Mail to post to Canada, or is there a better alternative?

Thanks for any advice!
Old Nov 5th 2017, 11:21 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christmas post

Order online from UK stores such as John Lewis, Marks and Spencer and get stuff delivered gift wrapped
Old Nov 5th 2017, 11:29 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Order online from UK stores such as John Lewis, Marks and Spencer and get stuff delivered gift wrapped
+1

Amazon have a similar service..

When my son was still in the UK and couldn't fly over, I ordered all his gifts (and Christmas food) online. So much easier and no worrying about whether Canada Post / Royal Mail would stuff up!

Old Nov 5th 2017, 11:58 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
+2

Canada Post is really expensive for international parcels.
Old Nov 6th 2017, 12:12 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

We send no prezzies - we also buy from the above mentioned online suppliers. We have also bought things like hampers, plants, Thorntons Hotel Chocolat online. I have done a couple of hampers now and you can make up your own from their site so you can put in what you think your recipient might like- it ranges from nice old cheeses, booze, salmon, pate, sweeties, shortbread anything you could find in a decent grocers/ posh bit of a supermarket. Obviously opening on the day might be a problem! Also Fido the pooch might shred the presents and scoff the perishables once he got a sniff of them under the tree.
Old Nov 6th 2017, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

hannah1001 is a jewel in the roughhannah1001 is a jewel in the roughhannah1001 is a jewel in the roughhannah1001 is a jewel in the rough

Oh no! It's not looking promising!
As it's our first Christmas here we were wanting to send some local Okanagan gifts. I might just have to take the high costs on the chin this year.... and follow your suggestions in the future.
Old Nov 6th 2017, 12:32 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hannah1001
Oh no! It's not looking promising!
As it's our first Christmas here we were wanting to send some local Okanagan gifts. I might just have to take the high costs on the chin this year.... and follow your suggestions in the future.
You mean wine ...
Old Nov 6th 2017, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
We send no prezzies - we also buy from the above mentioned online suppliers. We have also bought things like hampers, plants, Thorntons Hotel Chocolat online. I have done a couple of hampers now and you can make up your own from their site so you can put in what you think your recipient might like- it ranges from nice old cheeses, booze, salmon, pate, sweeties, shortbread anything you could find in a decent grocers/ posh bit of a supermarket. Obviously opening on the day might be a problem! Also Fido the pooch might shred the presents and scoff the perishables once he got a sniff of them under the tree.

Cheese certainly wouldn't survive under the tree for long with our cheese-hound around!!
Old Nov 6th 2017, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

You mean wine ...
And don't forget gin!
Old Nov 6th 2017, 12:36 am
I need a walk

Cheese certainly wouldn't survive under the tree for long with our cheese-hound around!!
Our old boy would also disregard even chicken preferring his absolute favourite, cheese...dogs are funny creatures
Old Nov 6th 2017, 12:38 am
I need a walk

And don't forget gin!
This is in town here- very nice apparently...

https://okanaganspirits.com/
Old Nov 6th 2017, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

This is in town here- very nice apparently...

https://okanaganspirits.com/
I may take some persuading that BC whisky is as good as a Scottish single malt, but I'm willing to do a taste test (purely in the name of scientific rigour of course!). I've been very impressed with BC gin - our local Crush Pad vineyard does an amazing gin called Narrative.

Is there a limit on sending booze to Blighty?
Old Nov 6th 2017, 1:09 am
I need a walk

I may take some persuading that BC whisky is as good as a Scottish single malt, but I'm willing to do a taste test (purely in the name of scientific rigour of course!). I've been very impressed with BC gin - our local Crush Pad vineyard does an amazing gin called Narrative.

Is there a limit on sending booze to Blighty?
Yes, sadly it looks like there is- none

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/m...Gnonmail-e.asp

You can't mail animals either... Why the hell not??

Last edited by Stinkypup; Nov 6th 2017 at 2:53 am.
Old Nov 6th 2017, 2:41 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I found some Okanagan wine that's available in the UK for you

Burrowing Owl 2012 Meritage

M&S do Meyer Pinot Noir but they are out of stock.

Quails' Gate Wine | Fine Wines | Cellier UK < also have Burrowing Owl wine, use the dropdown on the left

Amazon

Gin: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ungava-Cana.../dp/B00GAU8AGA

and what about this? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kicking-Hor...itish+columbia

I was quite surprised at the range of products available from BC on Amazon UK.

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 6th 2017 at 3:48 am.
Old Nov 6th 2017, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I found some Okanagan wine that's available in the UK for you

Burrowing Owl 2012 Meritage

M&S do Meyer Pinot Noir but they are out of stock.

Quails' Gate Wine | Fine Wines | Cellier UK

Amazon

Gin: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ungava-Cana.../dp/B00GAU8AGA

and what about this? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kicking-Hor...itish+columbia

I was quite surprised at the range of products available from BC on Amazon UK.

You're an absolute star!