sensory intergration

Old Sep 17th 2006, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

flipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond repute
Default sensory intergration

hi all, well as some of you on this forum know my son is having s.i at the moment, and i said i would let you know how it went. well he,s only had 3 sessions at the moment and we have at least 8 weeks to go but there does appear to be some changes occuring. now i was warned things would get worse before they got better, but my son has never had a behaviour problem, in fact quite the opposite, he,s the best bahaved child ive ever come across, so naturally i didnt think it would affect us. omg ive never seen temper tantrums like it, its like something from a horror film, im actually glad to go to work in the evening for some peace and quiet and let the oh take over. on the plus side his handwriting has improved remarkably well, not sure if this has anything to do with the s.i , anyway just thought id share that with you all. think i need a very stiff drink now.
Old Sep 17th 2006, 12:34 am
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sensory intergration

Originally Posted by flipflop
hi all, well as some of you on this forum know my son is having s.i at the moment, and i said i would let you know how it went. well he,s only had 3 sessions at the moment and we have at least 8 weeks to go but there does appear to be some changes occuring. now i was warned things would get worse before they got better, but my son has never had a behaviour problem, in fact quite the opposite, he,s the best bahaved child ive ever come across, so naturally i didnt think it would affect us. omg ive never seen temper tantrums like it, its like something from a horror film, im actually glad to go to work in the evening for some peace and quiet and let the oh take over. on the plus side his handwriting has improved remarkably well, not sure if this has anything to do with the s.i , anyway just thought id share that with you all. think i need a very stiff drink now.
Sorry to be the dumarse but what is s.i, not heard of it before?
Old Sep 17th 2006, 12:45 am
BE Enthusiast

flipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daedra
trishb where are you?. ok daedra having had that stiff drink i was talking about im not sure how much sense my answer will make. trishb could answer better than me but here goes. s.i is to help a child who,s senses are not working correctly(the nervous system) children who need s.i are often tactile defensive i.e they dont like the feel of certain things like grass on there bare feet or they dont like the textures of certain things. oh where the hell is trishb when you need her. sorry if it doesnt make sense, but i have had a stiff drink or three
Old Sep 17th 2006, 10:50 am
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

trishb where are you?. ok daedra having had that stiff drink i was talking about im not sure how much sense my answer will make. trishb could answer better than me but here goes. s.i is to help a child who,s senses are not working correctly(the nervous system) children who need s.i are often tactile defensive i.e they dont like the feel of certain things like grass on there bare feet or they dont like the textures of certain things. oh where the hell is trishb when you need her. sorry if it doesnt make sense, but i have had a stiff drink or three
Hiya flipflop I hope your feeling better and that you got in touch with trishb. Sounds like could be a very difficult thing to cope with, I think I may have actually heard/seen something about it from the way you described it.

*sends a hug* hang in there!
Old Sep 17th 2006, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Hiya flipflop I hope your feeling better and that you got in touch with trishb. Sounds like could be a very difficult thing to cope with, I think I may have actually heard/seen something about it from the way you described it.

*sends a hug* hang in there!
hi daedra, bit of a sore head this morning lol. yes can be difficult to cope with at times, but theres others that go through much worse in life, so got to count my blessings. thanks for the hug, i needed that.
Old Sep 17th 2006, 11:21 am
Senile Member

There will always be someone better off or worse off around, but your still one strong person helping your son & OH to come through this for the better

Sent you some positive karma too. It's gotta be tough to see your son go through but just keep reminding yourself of the benefits he'll have once the treatement has a positive effect.

I feel for you (re banging head) had that Saturday morning *lol*
Old Sep 18th 2006, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

I'm here!!!!!! But can't stay long as I have to go out and see a kid at home for his weekly therapy session!
Old Sep 18th 2006, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Si is a form of treatment developed by an Occupational Therapist in the 1970s and is used by OTs across the globe, particlalrly with children who have behaviour/developmental issues.
It is based on the premise that our bodies and environment send information to the brain through our senses - this information is then processed and organised so we feel comfortable and secureso that we can respond appropriately to situations and environmental demands. Its a neurological process that we take for granted as it happens automatically for most of us. It relates to things such as balance and centre of gravity awareness, over or under-registering sensory input, so the child may be fearful of walking or climbing because of poor balance (the world to that child sways dramatically all the time, like when you're really pissed!) or the fabric of clothing may be registered as really itchy scratchy to a child who's hyper-sensitive.

Just a couple of examples - it's a huge area to cover in a short time, but affects every area of a child's life, right down to the texture of the food he/she eats.

Right, I'm off out! See you later!
Old Sep 18th 2006, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TrishB
Si is a form of treatment developed by an Occupational Therapist in the 1970s and is used by OTs across the globe, particlalrly with children who have behaviour/developmental issues.
It is based on the premise that our bodies and environment send information to the brain through our senses - this information is then processed and organised so we feel comfortable and secureso that we can respond appropriately to situations and environmental demands. Its a neurological process that we take for granted as it happens automatically for most of us. It relates to things such as balance and centre of gravity awareness, over or under-registering sensory input, so the child may be fearful of walking or climbing because of poor balance (the world to that child sways dramatically all the time, like when you're really pissed!) or the fabric of clothing may be registered as really itchy scratchy to a child who's hyper-sensitive.

Just a couple of examples - it's a huge area to cover in a short time, but affects every area of a child's life, right down to the texture of the food he/she eats.

Right, I'm off out! See you later!
bless ya trishb, you put it much better than me.
Old Sep 18th 2006, 5:06 pm
Senile Member

Light switch on now, thanks Trish!