Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Scotttish Independence Referendum

Scotttish Independence Referendum

Old Jan 11th 2012, 2:23 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scotttish Independence Referendum

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
I think it's pretty naive for us scots to think we would be better alone.

I doubt we own much of anything anymore, more likely owned by America or the far east, or even England people.

And then there's that twat Salmond that wants to run the place. You know he'll get the boot as soon as we get independance, and they vote in Mel Gibson, a true Scottish legend

And anyway, even if we did do well, in 50 years or so, you southerners would just invade us again and steal it all back

You're buggering off anyway aren't you?
Old Jan 11th 2012, 7:03 am
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oink
You're buggering off anyway aren't you?
Fingers crossed
Old Jan 11th 2012, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Not being Scottish myself, I suppose a more partisan poster will be along soon. but I think that's a bit untrue.

Do a bit of research on the contributions of Scots to the industrial revolution and to the building of Empire, around here as much as anywhere else. Not that either was, in retrospect, a very good idea.

If the present day Scottish voters opt for independence, it really wouldn't change much given the context of the EU.

Perhaps Northumberland could secede from That London and join in? I might go home then.
Novo, I don't need a lecture about the importance of Scottish contribution to science and engineering to know that their contribution was, in fact, important. But I hardly see what this has to do with the independence debate. Again, if the Scots piss off then their legacy will always be intact and more importantly Lagavulin won't be changed either.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I'm Scottish but have made my home in England - I'll never be English but have, for many years, considered myself as much British as Scottish so God knows where independence would leave me!

The reality is that there isn't a strong appetite for independence in Scotland right now. It has, certainly in my experience, always been a minority (albeit very vocal minority) issue. I think it's wrong to consider a vote for the SNP as a vote for independence, voters may want Scottish interests to be given a voice but that's along way from wanting independence. Unfortunately David Cameron could go a long way towards tripping the balance in Alex Salmond's favour.

Regarding HRH as a head of state, this is an interesting one: In my experience, allegiance to the throne in west central Scotland (populous area: lots of voters) has, it seems, as much to do with Irish history and politics and religion than any real Scottish issues. Take away HRH and significant number of voters wouldn't even listen to the arguments for independence.

It will be interesting to see how the debate pans out. Unfortunately as soon as the subject is mentioned it seems to cause a number of English people to adopt the 'well let them piss off then' argument. Sad.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 11:58 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe they could get wimpy in and re build Hadrians wall.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 12:37 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

It would be a disaster for scotland to go independent, half the major international corporations with offices there would bugger off for fear of over taxation.

Theres probably a reason its taken quite so long for the SNP government to get around to the referendum, and I suspect its cos they know its not going to fly and will make them look a bit silly.

My Fife based brother likes to point out that when the RBS was raking in billions in profits the SNP was all up in arms and very vociferous about the money that Scotland was not getting from them. And when it all went tits up and they got billions of tax payers money to bail them out? Not a peep.

Last edited by iaink; Jan 11th 2012 at 3:48 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 1:36 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Could we trade Alberta for Scotland?
I was just thinking you could bundle the Scots in with those Quebecans......
Old Jan 11th 2012, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
I think it's pretty naive for us scots to think we would be better alone. In my opinion the UK depends on each others countries, I agree with you Dave n Ailsa

I doubt we own much of anything anymore, more likely owned by America or the far east, or even England people.

And then there's that twat Salmond that wants to run the place. You know he'll get the boot as soon as we get independance, and they vote in Mel Gibson, a true Scottish legend there is even a fabulous (!!!!!) statue of Mel at the foot of the Wallace monument in Stirlingshire, just waiting to be moved to the Scottish Parliament when Mel takes his rightful place

And anyway, even if we did do well, in 50 years or so, you southerners would just invade us again and steal it all back

Well said
Old Jan 11th 2012, 1:48 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

The Scottish referendum will hang on whether people can be arsed to go out and vote. Look at what happened in Tony's Welsh referendum. Only half the voting population could be arsed to vote and only half of them voted for independence.

The same will likely happen in Scotland (I'm 50% Scot BTW).

The notion of Quebec independence is dead. The younger generations really don't give a toss about it.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Push came to shove I have my doubts the population would vote for independence. I have been in Canada since '04' but doubt much has changed since. Any thinking person would vote against any such option. But then again, depends how many 'unthinking' people choose to vote.....
Old Jan 11th 2012, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

From the Telegraph comments section....

Alex Salmond: "We want a referendum and we want it now"

Cameron: "I agree and the sooner the better. How about within 18 months?"

Salmond: "Dinna you tell me when we'll have a referendum. I'll tell you"

Cameron: "That's fine. You can have it any time you like. I'm just saying it would be good to have it sooner, Alex, that's all."

Salmond: "We'll have it when we're ready. When I say so."

Cameron: "No problem Alex. Next year or whenever"

Salmond: "Listen laddie, don't deny us we want a referendum."

Cameron: "But I'm not denying you anything. You can have a referendum tomorrow if you like."

Salmond: " I'll decide on the timing for the referendum."

Cameron: " Yes I understand that. You can have a referendum any time you like Alex."

Salmond: " We want a referendum. You just aren't listening. You English are all the same."

Cameron: " You can have a referendum anytime you like. How about tomorrow? or next year?"

Salmond: "You cannot deny us a referendum. You english are all the same."

Cameron: " I'm not denying you anything. Please have a referendum tomorrow, if you like"

Salmond: "How dare you tell me when to have a referendum."

Cameron: "Have we had this conversation before?"

Salmond: "Don't change the issue. Are we going to have a referendum? We want independence."

Cameron: " Yes. Whenever you like."

Salmond: "We want a referendum."

Cameron: "........
Old Jan 11th 2012, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't Scotland going independant have the knock on effect that labour would be unlikely to get in in England for a very very long time?
Old Jan 11th 2012, 6:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gryphea
Wouldn't Scotland going independant have the knock on effect that labour would be unlikely to get in in England for a very very long time?
Do they have any chance of that anyway?
Old Jan 11th 2012, 6:56 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Also, if we gave them independence and until Scotland formally joined the EU, wouldn't all the Scotch living and working in England have to move back?
Old Jan 11th 2012, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gryphea
It's something of a win-win situation for the conservatives.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.