Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Scotttish Independence Referendum

Scotttish Independence Referendum

Old Jan 10th 2012, 11:13 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Scotttish Independence Referendum

I've just read the news about this thing likely to take place in 2014 and wonder what feelings you have about Scotland cutting ties with England. I've never been to the UK but I've been told that even though the Scots, Irish, and Welsh travel and work in all 4 countries as well as intermarry, the English are (at least on some level) traditionally seen as oppressors. Why then do the Scottish nationalists say that in the event they separate they still want to retain HRH as head of state? It's a long way from here but I find the concept of independence exciting, even if it isn't exactly a 'Celtic Spring'.
A carp fishing friend from Bristol has a Welsh mum, and the family went to her home town for a visit. Somehow he found himself in the local pub with all the old regulars eyeing him suspiciously, being a strange face. The barman served him and asked who he might be. He replied that he was from Bristol and his dad was English, but his mum was from right there. One old fellow said "Then you're allright, boyo, you're only half a b*st*rd!"
Old Jan 10th 2012, 11:16 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scotttish Independence Referendum

Probably like most English people, I couldn't give a toss. I think only the Scots and the other lot really care.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 12:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Also a bit like Canadians and Quebec though at times I feel like if there was a Bloc canditate running in my area I would vote for them to help them split and get it done with, instead of the constant threats and demands from Quebec.
Whats the betting if the Habs won the Stanley Cup they wouldnt be questioning the coaches ability to speak French like they are doing now.
And besides the North Sea Oil what else do the jocks have ?
Celtic & Rangers in the EPL give me a break oh will that now change if they get independence.
I can just hear the Mel Gibson speech ringing in my ears from Braveheart.
Freedom.

Last edited by Former Lancastrian; Jan 11th 2012 at 12:04 am.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
I've just read the news about this thing likely to take place in 2014 and wonder what feelings you have about Scotland cutting ties with England. I've never been to the UK but I've been told that even though the Scots, Irish, and Welsh travel and work in all 4 countries as well as intermarry, the English are (at least on some level) traditionally seen as oppressors. Why then do the Scottish nationalists say that in the event they separate they still want to retain HRH as head of state? It's a long way from here but I find the concept of independence exciting, even if it isn't exactly a 'Celtic Spring'.
A carp fishing friend from Bristol has a Welsh mum, and the family went to her home town for a visit. Somehow he found himself in the local pub with all the old regulars eyeing him suspiciously, being a strange face. The barman served him and asked who he might be. He replied that he was from Bristol and his dad was English, but his mum was from right there. One old fellow said "Then you're allright, boyo, you're only half a b*st*rd!"
Let them piss off. They've spent 300 years talking about it, just finally do something about it.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 1:10 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London Mike
Let them piss off. They've spent 300 years talking about it, just finally do something about it.
Not being Scottish myself, I suppose a more partisan poster will be along soon. but I think that's a bit untrue.

Do a bit of research on the contributions of Scots to the industrial revolution and to the building of Empire, around here as much as anywhere else. Not that either was, in retrospect, a very good idea.

If the present day Scottish voters opt for independence, it really wouldn't change much given the context of the EU.

Perhaps Northumberland could secede from That London and join in? I might go home then.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 1:18 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Will they still make scotch eggs and shortbread for supermarkets in the UK? I'd hate to go back home and not be able to eat a scotch egg or a short bread biscuit.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 1:25 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I know very little about it but I'm wondering would the rights to the North Sea oil stay the same?
Old Jan 11th 2012, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Some thoughts on nationalism.....

http://orwell.ru/library/essays/nati.../english/e_nat
Old Jan 11th 2012, 1:29 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I know very little about it but I'm wondering would the rights to the North Sea oil stay the same?
I read somewhere that there's hardly any left.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by Alan2005
So really then its all about eggs and biscuits.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 1:42 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
True. There's quite a lot of gas though. Oink asks a good question. I imagine the Scots would like to have a fairer share of the revenue. Good for them.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 1:43 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Could we trade Alberta for Scotland?
Old Jan 11th 2012, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Could we trade Alberta for Scotland?
Old Jan 11th 2012, 1:49 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Bring it.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 2:19 am
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it's pretty naive for us scots to think we would be better alone.

I doubt we own much of anything anymore, more likely owned by America or the far east, or even England people.

And then there's that twat Salmond that wants to run the place. You know he'll get the boot as soon as we get independance, and they vote in Mel Gibson, a true Scottish legend

And anyway, even if we did do well, in 50 years or so, you southerners would just invade us again and steal it all back

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.