Scottish university

Old Oct 29th 2017, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

aorourke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Scottish university

This is a question for the Scot's. We have 3 kids and are looking to see if anyone has sent their kids back to Scotland for College or university. How long do they have to be in the country to take advantage of the free tuition and if there are other stipulations. All kids have their british passport. 2 kids were born in Scotland.
I have lots of family that can help with accommodation if they need to work there for a year before hand. My daughter is desperate to get back even though she isn't quite 12yrs old. My kids are really close to our family so i don't have any problems with them being taken care of.
Is this feasible at all and if so would you know where i could go for some advice.
Old Oct 29th 2017, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scottish university

Originally Posted by aorourke
This is a question for the Scot's. We have 3 kids and are looking to see if anyone has sent their kids back to Scotland for College or university. How long do they have to be in the country to take advantage of the free tuition and if there are other stipulations. All kids have their british passport. 2 kids were born in Scotland.
I have lots of family that can help with accommodation if they need to work there for a year before hand. My daughter is desperate to get back even though she isn't quite 12yrs old. My kids are really close to our family so i don't have any problems with them being taken care of.
Is this feasible at all and if so would you know where i could go for some advice.
A friend of mine who has lived here in Canada for over 20 years has done this with his canadian born daughter. She has never lived in Scotland but has a grandmother and I think an aunt or uncle/cousins etc there. She has a medical condition that requires a lot of treatment (can't remember the details) but somehow the NHS is going to take it on and I gather at no extra cost. My friend or his wife haven't lived in Scotland since the 1990's. It is a known condition the daughter has and the NHS will cover it. Crazy if you ask me.

Not sure how the tuition costs are to be handled but I don't think he is trying to have her listed with a Scottish address and there is nothing showing she went to school in Scotland so she is an international student I believe.
Old Oct 29th 2017, 8:31 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Why wouldn’t they go to university in Canada? Surely it’d be more practical?
Old Oct 29th 2017, 9:02 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Why wouldn’t they go to university in Canada? Surely it’d be more practical?
I thought that too- why would you? Never did me any good..I went to St Andrews
Old Oct 29th 2017, 9:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

It makes sense where one of the reasons identified is FREE tuition if applicable.
We are talking Scotland and money here people
Old Oct 29th 2017, 9:15 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Are you eligible for student finance?

You may have a particular set of circumstances and are unsure what financial support you qualify for. Use this page to see what actions you must take.

Universities and colleges usually charge different fees if you are a Home/EU student, or an international student. Different governments and funding organisations have different criteria that you need to meet to qualify for loans and grants to help with these fees.

Criteria for eligibility

The criteria determining fee status usually include: the university or college you will be attending, the course you will be taking, your age, if you’ve studied in higher education before, and your nationality or residency status.
Residency requirements for Home/EU fees are usually:

• You must be settled in the UK on the first day of your course
  • You must be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of your course
  • You must have been ordinarily resident in the UK and Islands for the full three-years before the first day of your course
  • You must not be residing in the UK with the primary reason to receive full-time education in the three-years before the first day of your course.
Note that residence is more important in determining fee status than citizenship. You usually need to have been living in the UK for the three years before you start university.
Decisions are made on a case-by-case basis. This happens after your university has accepted your application and an offer of a place has been made on academic grounds.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 30th 2017 at 10:54 am. Reason: Deleted large pic it reduces the text
Old Oct 29th 2017, 9:26 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
if you'd played your cards right you could have married a prince
Old Oct 29th 2017, 9:27 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Did you do poorly in your A levels?
Old Oct 29th 2017, 9:42 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
if you'd played your cards right you could have married a prince
I tried sitting on his lap in a bar in North Street (imaginative names they use in St Andrews) but then 2 suits forced me off him and threw me out of the bar

Did you do poorly in your A levels?
How rude! I studied Dentistry in Liverpool....it was always a challenge to train in dentistry there, competing with my peers for the seven people who still had their own teeth.
Old Oct 29th 2017, 10:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

3 years residence in Scotland to qualify for free tuition.
Old Oct 29th 2017, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by scot47
3 years residence in Scotland to qualify for free tuition.
Plus, wouldn't they need British qualifications to be admitted?
Old Oct 29th 2017, 10:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Plus, wouldn't they need British qualifications to be admitted?
My daughter’s American friend went to St Andrews. He was a bit of a dunce at school but got a place anyway....maybe it was the international fees that swayed it. Dropped out after a year.
Old Oct 29th 2017, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My daughter’s American friend went to St Andrews. He was a bit of a dunce at school but got a place anyway....maybe it was the international fees that swayed it. Dropped out after a year.
That's different. International students are known as the cash cows of HE so they'll let almost anyone in if they're willing to pay. For domestic students, especially in a rationed system, the entry requirements are going to be much more stringent.
Old Oct 29th 2017, 11:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

That's different. International students are known as the cash cows of HE so they'll let almost anyone in if they're willing to pay. For domestic students, especially in a rationed system, the entry requirements are going to be much more stringent.
My reply was in answer to your question about qualifications.

The OP’s children could well be classed as international student...therefore top notch fees.

Edit. I suggest the OP reposts in the MBTTUK forum. I have a feeling that someone sent their child to Scotland for uni a while ago and didn’t have to pay international fees.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 29th 2017 at 11:20 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2017, 2:21 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I'd also ensure the kids have their Canadian Citizenship before they return to the UK / Scotland, if they haven't already. It would be awful if they didn't meet the residency requirements for PR and couldn't return.

SAAS Full Time Student Information
Residence

To meet the general residence conditions, you must have been ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for the three years immediately before the first day of the first academic year of the course (the relevant date). For the majority of students who start their course in the autumn term, the relevant date is 1 August.

"we will not treat you as being ordinarily resident in Scotland if your main purpose in coming here has been to receive full-time education and that you would have otherwise been living elsewhere."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.