Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Saskatchewan farmer not guilty in fatal shooting of Indigenous man

Saskatchewan farmer not guilty in fatal shooting of Indigenous man

Old Feb 16th 2018, 5:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saskatchewan farmer not guilty in fatal shooting of Indigenous man

Originally Posted by BristolUK
No, no, I lost interest in the judge itemising what he was going to do before then doing it

It wasn't my implication but that in the newspaper report.

There was widespread surprise and condemnation of the verdict. The National Post says read this and now imagine you are a juror.

That's a clear explanation of why the writer thinks the jury voted as they did. That's a very strong implication.

Well, yes, that's why a gave a specific example of exactly that happening.

You're a bit quick to rush to judgment.
I lost interest when you lost interest
See here is the problem when the media reports on something they add their creative bit to it. Why did the reporter imply it was the judge suggesting a not guilty verdict? Did you see anything in the article to suggest this? Are people sometimes influenced in what they read or hear in the Media?
The judge did what he was legally bound to and if the writer thinks the judge was giving them a nod and a wink to find him not guilty then they need to find another job.

I agree with the premise of posting the transcript and then let you decide but only on the transcript itself and not what the writer may think as these are the types of things that cause problems.
I wonder what his big bosses now think about the article or is their no accountability in reporting?

I apologize if you took offence.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 5:17 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
...Did you see anything in the article to suggest this?
It was there, in the opening part. Very often, a headline and/or sub heading/opening paragraph will say something that's not backed up by the rest of the words.

You must have seen "Fergie slams ref" headlines only to read he did nothing of the sort.

The Guardian does it too.

Are people sometimes influenced in what they read or hear in the Media?
Of course.
I apologize if you took offence.
I didn't take any. I was just a bit surprised that you took my suggestion of the journalist's implication as being my implication.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
It was there, in the opening part. Very often, a headline and/or sub heading/opening paragraph will say something that's not backed up by the rest of the words.

You must have seen "Fergie slams ref" headlines only to read he did nothing of the sort.

The Guardian does it too.

Of course.

I didn't take any. I was just a bit surprised that you took my suggestion of the journalist's implication as being my implication.
Not enough morning coffee or my meds haven't kicked in yet
Old Feb 16th 2018, 5:37 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Not enough morning coffee or my meds haven't kicked in yet
It's all that sitting around with your feet up for 30-35 years waiting for your gold plated pension. It slows your metabolism.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 5:51 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

The Crown can appeal if they find fault with the judge's charge to the jury, as you know, and that's why he spent a whole day writing it. Without including all the necessary elements of instruction he wouldn't be doing his duty. Trial transcripts are $2.75/page when they get them ready. When Colin Thatcher was up for killing his wife someone bought 1 copy of the preliminary hearing and we just kept it on the bar for everyone to read and pass around, but back then transcripts came from the Queens Printer, (name now changed) at a nominal cost.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
The Crown can appeal if they find fault with the judge's charge to the jury, as you know, and that's why he spent a whole day writing it. Without including all the necessary elements of instruction he wouldn't be doing his duty. Trial transcripts are $2.75/page when they get them ready. When Colin Thatcher was up for killing his wife someone bought 1 copy of the preliminary hearing and we just kept it on the bar for everyone to read and pass around, but back then transcripts came from the Queens Printer, (name now changed) at a nominal cost.
In Alberta, transcripts cost an amount per word and the cost per word increases the faster the transcripts are required to be produced.

Again, in Alberta, all hearings in Court are tape recorded and anyone can request a copy of any transcript they want, subject to the original recording still being available.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 9:20 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
I agree. You only have to look at FB comments about First Nations to know in what low regard they are held. This is in an area with three reserves none of which are run down.
That's a shame, I thought attitudes were generally shifting for the better. There will always be a segment on non-FN Canadians that look down on the Natives, just as there are some Brits who might look down on "the other" but I had thought the segments were shrinking. Hard to know anecdotally. And it's probably different between Ontario and BC too.
Old Feb 8th 2019, 3:41 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Doug Cuthand's observations on the anniversary of the verdict:
https://leaderpost.com/opinion/colum...2-44b617477248