Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Safety awareness, ridiculing or neither?

Safety awareness, ridiculing or neither?

Old Feb 17th 2016, 12:47 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Safety awareness, ridiculing or neither?

Originally Posted by Oink
Using that rationale, receiving a BJ while driving on the freeway is also deemed 'irresponsible'. .
Well you could certainly make it sound like
Spoiler:
a mouthful

Old Feb 17th 2016, 1:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
... There is no argument that the the phone was used in the cause of the criminal act. I'm not sure whether the phone was confiscated or taken into custody, but it would have been sensible to temporarily remove it to the 'station' to a) prevent a second crime and b) protect the innocent.
In the moments after the wreck, the phone was "evidence" and the police were fully justified in holding it, at very least until it had been determined whether charges would be filed.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 3:39 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't want the filth snooping at your phone, then p/w protect it and say you forgot how to unlock it.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 3:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
If you don't want the police snooping at your phone, then p/w protect it and say you forgot how to unlock it.
Here's an idea, "get off the dämn phone and focus on driving, then you won't rear-end another vehicle."
Old Feb 17th 2016, 9:19 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say they should have obfuscated any personally identifying information and then posted the picture.

If there was a successful prosecution, ie; person found guilty, then also release their name. They deserve to be named and shamed. Perhaps it is the only way to make them realize how stupid they are for texting and driving,let alone being stupid enough to rear end a frigging police car.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 9:35 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
I'd say they should have obfuscated any personally identifying information and then posted the picture.

If there was a successful prosecution, ie; person found guilty, then also release their name. They deserve to be named and shamed. Perhaps it is the only way to make them realize how stupid they are for texting and driving,let alone being stupid enough to rear end a frigging police car.
What successful prosecution? She got a ticket for $167 which means she signed it which means she admitted guilt. If there had been another charge laid regarding the collision and if she had chosen to plead not guilty I'm sure the first piece of evidence the prosecution would bring forth would be her confession "I just ran into a cop car, OMGGG"
Old Feb 17th 2016, 10:39 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Let's have a canadian driver's intelligence test..
Q What do you do after you've just robbed a bank and been stopped by the cops at a roadblock.
A. Text your boyfriend. 'Have just robbed bank and now been stopped by the police. OOOoops just run into back of a police cruiser OMGGG didn't see it... Hope they don't publish my name or look at this phone.'

Anyone got any other questions?
Old Feb 17th 2016, 10:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Some posters should acquaint themselves with the law before making claims about the Police had no authority to seize the phone

Seizure without warrant
(2) Every peace officer, and every public officer who has been appointed or designated to administer or enforce any federal or provincial law and whose duties include the enforcement of this or any other Act of Parliament, who is lawfully present in a place pursuant to a warrant or otherwise in the execution of duties may, without a warrant, seize any thing that the officer believes on reasonable grounds
(a) has been obtained by the commission of an offence against this or any other Act of Parliament;
(b) has been used in the commission of an offence against this or any other Act of Parliament; or
(c) will afford evidence in respect of an offence against this or any other Act of Parliament.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 10:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
What successful prosecution? She got a ticket for $167 which means she signed it which means she admitted guilt. If there had been another charge laid regarding the collision and if she had chosen to plead not guilty I'm sure the first piece of evidence the prosecution would bring forth would be her confession "I just ran into a cop car, OMGGG"
I thought the signature on the ticket was just acknowledging you received it, but still had the right for court?

I've never gotten a ticket Canada, so no idea. The one ticket I did get in the US it said on it signing is not an admission of guilt and I still had the option to go to court. I opted to just pay it, the fine was small and wasn't worth going to court for.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I thought the signature on the ticket was just acknowledging you received it, but still had the right for court?

I've never gotten a ticket Canada, so no idea. The one ticket I did get in the US it said on it signing is not an admission of guilt and I still had the option to go to court. I opted to just pay it, the fine was small and wasn't worth going to court for.
Correct you are signing for the ticket not admitting guilty to the offence.
You can dispute if you believe a ticket was issued unfairly, would like the fine to be reduced or the payment delayed.
How long you have to dispute:
You have 30 days to dispute a traffic ticket from the violation date.
You have 30 days to dispute a red light camera ticket that was served to you in person or 45 days to dispute a ticket received in the mail.
How to submit your dispute
In person
You or someone on your behalf can dispute in person. Bring your ticket to one of the following:
driver licensing office or
provincial court registry
http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing...s/dispute.aspx
Old Feb 17th 2016, 11:05 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
In which case, if she has admitted guilt and there is no further case, then name and shame.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 11:32 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
In which case, if she has admitted guilt and there is no further case, then name and shame.
As per the original link, the police removed her identity because people were leaving nasty comments on twitter and their objective was to inform, not promote vigilantism. In Regina a politician was caught talking on his phone at a spot check and he had to pay the fine and give interviews, but he was a good sport about it.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 12:24 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm surprised that people agree with the police making up punishments for things. It's a slippery slope - next they'll be shooting people for being mentally ill or black or something.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 12:47 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I'm surprised that people agree with the police making up punishments for things. It's a slippery slope - next they'll be shooting people for being mentally ill or black or something.
In the old days they just used to give you a thick ear and send you off home and that would deb the end of if it. Now all these liberal do-gooders are banging on about criminals rights and due process and stuff rather than protecting the public from their criminality. PC gone mad again and again.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 3:34 am
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tinpusher63
This new law that came in Jan1 has not made 1 iota of difference to the amount of people calling/texting.
I drive about 5 miles on the Deerfoot, 8 times a night and I can see down into cars from my cab and it's incredible how many people are still calling/texting/ FB/Youtube on their phones/tablets/laptops etc.
Most of them are more sneaky, having the device on their laps, passenger seats, or the centre console where a Police officer couldn't see it.
In the UK, more & more Police forces are hiring Tractor units and have 2 officers in the cab, 1 driving and 1 filming, they then radio to a patrol car that pulls the driver over.
They could do with that here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.