Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Renting a car abroad as an 18 y/o

Renting a car abroad as an 18 y/o

Old Mar 20th 2016, 1:46 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting a car abroad as an 18 y/o

Originally Posted by R I C H
You've done a lot of reading
More then you think, yes!
Old Mar 20th 2016, 1:50 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting a car abroad as an 18 y/oth

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
Given that they are planning on going for March break and it's a week or two at the most in length then I don't think buying a car and then selling it within that timeframe, regardless of the insurance issue, is that practical an option.
The issue is going to be a rental company hiring to someone under 21 with possibly less then 2 years driving experience.

Even if they do. The amount will be alot.

The Ontario insurance or whatever it is there may not insure him either on hire vehicles/driving abroad if he has his own.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
The issue is going to be a rental company hiring to someone under 21 with possibly less then 2 years driving experience.

Even if they do. The amount will be alot.

The Ontario insurance or whatever it is there may not insure him either on hire vehicles/driving abroad if he has his own.
My comment was in reference to the suggestion of them buying a car and selling it again at the end of the trip. Not the rental option.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 3:17 am
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
My comment was in reference to the suggestion of them buying a car and selling it again at the end of the trip. Not the rental option.
I realize that. I was adding my comment about rental insurance as well.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 4:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I was 21 when I first drove in a foreign country and at that one that drives on a different side of the road, and really it was no big deal. At that time I had only 3 years or so experience driving.

At 21 though there were far more options of course for renting vs at 18.

Sounds like a lot of nervous nellies worried about driving abroad.

I left home on my 18th birthday and drove in the middle east, Indonesia and Australia during the following 8 months. Be cautious, use common sense and be independent. You'll enjoy the whole travel experience far more than being cocooned within organised tours.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Here's something to look at Gozit. The only problem for Ireland is you need to have held the licence for 2 years. covers info for europe as well.
http://www.autoeurope.com/go/travel-...ntal-under-21/

I used auto europe a few times when travelling and found them fine.
good luck!
Old Mar 21st 2016, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Despite all the "fluff & noise", & the what we did when we were younger, etc etc, bottom line is that at 18 you will not be able to rent a car in Ireland. Sorry.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quiltman
Here's something to look at Gozit. The only problem for Ireland is you need to have held the licence for 2 years. covers info for europe as well.

good luck!
Minimum age is 21.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 3:14 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Each time I've gone back to the UK I've had to get myself added to a relative's policy as 'no resident, no insurance' unless in a rental car. Barking imo when I've been driving for 30+ years and have a UK driving licence but that's just the way it goes. Gozit isn't going to be able to insure an old banger unless there's a different law for EU citizens. .
Old Mar 21st 2016, 1:16 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Old comments to someone with a similar aim on Rick Steve's travel forum suggest local transit is poor for sightseeing, but local tour busses can be great, you go out in the morning to see a few sights, return to explore the city you're in, pub culture etc, and stay at a B&B, book whatever you want and if you use up that area in x number of days bus or rail to another city to base out of. You still have freedom to improvise and change plans whenever you want. People who were 25 and could rent a car decided to go this route because of insurance costs.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a lot of nervous nellies worried about driving abroad.

I left home on my 18th birthday and drove in the middle east, Indonesia and Australia during the following 8 months. Be cautious, use common sense and be independent. You'll enjoy the whole travel experience far more than being cocooned within organised tours.
Thank you. That was exactly my/our sentiment... We don't really want a chauffeured vehicle or organised tour but since the car is not an option happy to just buy a rail/bus pass and do it that way and walk around the cities.

Buying a car for a 6-7 day trip then selling it is too much work however.

I'm not sure why everyone is making so much noise, I didn't ask for your opinions on how safe you think it is for me to drive a car in another country, all I wanted to know is if it is possible and if there are companies who will do it, to which the answer is no, so no worries we'll buy a bus pass and carry on.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 1:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quiltman

good luck!
I checked it out and it threw no results for rentals starting in Dublin or Belfast but will keep in mind for later
Cheers
Old Mar 21st 2016, 1:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bats
If you had a driver then you'd need a car to seat six, so it's going to be a bus. Sounds more like an organised tour for the newly retired than kids having fun. Stop being such an old fuddy duddy and try something impromptu.

A young driver with friends in the car is a recipe for disaster, painful crippling disaster. Even if you stay sober the whole time they won't. You'll be dstracted. Don't even think about it.
Agreed which is why we don't want the chauffeur option. As I said we'll just buy a bus pass and move on, maybe won't even bother with a tour, might just do it ourselves and maybe hop over to London for a bit too. Maybe we'll go somewhere completely different that is cheaper and we can rent a car. Then it'll likely be on the same side as Canada so a little easier, although as I said i've driven on the other side.

I drive over here with friends in the car on almost a daily basis and its not what you would expect, I drive on my own with loud music regardless so thats not a problem
Old Mar 21st 2016, 2:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Agreed which is why we don't want the chauffeur option. As I said we'll just buy a bus pass and move on, maybe won't even bother with a tour, might just do it ourselves and maybe hop over to London for a bit too. Maybe we'll go somewhere completely different that is cheaper and we can rent a car. Then it'll likely be on the same side as Canada so a little easier, although as I said i've driven on the other side.

I drive over here with friends in the car on almost a daily basis and its not what you would expect, I drive on my own with loud music regardless so thats not a problem
If you should find yourselves in Belfast, Crown Liquor Saloon, Empire Music Hall.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 2:29 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
I'm not sure why everyone is making so much noise, I didn't ask for your opinions on how safe you think it is for me to drive a car in another country, all I wanted to know is if it is possible and if there are companies who will do it, to which the answer is no, so no worries we'll buy a bus pass and carry on.
You're new to BE aren't you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.