Renovation Costs

Old Jul 22nd 2006, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

ezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really nice
Default Renovation Costs

Not sure if this is a question to be asked on this forum, but I thought I would give it a shot.

We just bought a house in BC (interior) and it needs a bathroom on the second floor with a skylight. This is something I am insisting upon because I don't want to have to walk down the stairs every time in the night and, let's face it, resale will be easier if there is a bathroom on the same floor as the bedrooms! So, has anyone installed a full bathroom (not a renovation--there is no plumbing upstairs). I will need a toilet, sink and shower (a bathtub will be pushing it spacewise I think). If so, what kind of price did you pay? I am looking fairly low end and basic (we aren't going to be in this house for long).

Also, has anyone installed a skylight? I am thinking the skylight alone will be about $1000 but I know little about the costs of renovations in Canada.

We won't be able to do much of the work ourselves due to lack of skills and time.

Any information will be appreciated. I just want to make sure we aren't going to majorly overcapitalise on the house (it's a cheapie in the first place!) so would be interested in ball park figures. Thanks!
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 6:37 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renovation Costs

Originally Posted by ezvanetree
Not sure if this is a question to be asked on this forum, but I thought I would give it a shot.

We just bought a house in BC (interior) and it needs a bathroom on the second floor with a skylight. This is something I am insisting upon because I don't want to have to walk down the stairs every time in the night and, let's face it, resale will be easier if there is a bathroom on the same floor as the bedrooms! So, has anyone installed a full bathroom (not a renovation--there is no plumbing upstairs). I will need a toilet, sink and shower (a bathtub will be pushing it spacewise I think). If so, what kind of price did you pay? I am looking fairly low end and basic (we aren't going to be in this house for long).

Also, has anyone installed a skylight? I am thinking the skylight alone will be about $1000 but I know little about the costs of renovations in Canada.

We won't be able to do much of the work ourselves due to lack of skills and time.

Any information will be appreciated. I just want to make sure we aren't going to majorly overcapitalise on the house (it's a cheapie in the first place!) so would be interested in ball park figures. Thanks!
I'm thinking you may get quicker answers by posting on the main forum????
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 7:08 pm
Account Closed

yonk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezvanetree

Not a clue about renovation costs in Canada but have done several bathroom renovations in the UK - it depends on the plumbing. If you can locate a bathroom above where there is a bathroom already downstairs that makes things easier.

Otherwise, you have to run pipes and that can cause difficulties - you would probably need a pump and I've heard they block easily.

My bathrooms here have ranged in price but approx.$8-10k if you include tiling and a fancy towel rail.

Your best bet is to get a bloke to quote.....
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yonk
Not a clue about renovation costs in Canada but have done several bathroom renovations in the UK - it depends on the plumbing. If you can locate a bathroom above where there is a bathroom already downstairs that makes things easier.

Otherwise, you have to run pipes and that can cause difficulties - you would probably need a pump and I've heard they block easily.

My bathrooms here have ranged in price but approx.$8-10k if you include tiling and a fancy towel rail.

Your best bet is to get a bloke to quote.....
I think Butch is right (hate to say it ) but you should post this on the lifestyle forum.

As I'm here though (I'm not in BC, so that may make a difference), but from our experience of doing a lot of DIY and getting someone in to quote a complete reno of our bathroom; I would suggest a ball park (estimate) of about $20k for a basic new bathroom (I'm no expert, that's a guess), so take Yonks advice on that and get someone in to quote (at least three different ones).

Edit: For Yonk - Where's that progress piccie??
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

ezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really nice

[QUOTE=Calgal]I think Butch is right (hate to say it ) but you should post this on the lifestyle forum.
take Yonks advice on that and get someone in to quote (at least three different ones).QUOTE]

There's a lifestyle forum? I took a look at the forum list but they were all country specific. I thought the main forum was really for immigration/moving etc questions. Hence my post here in the maple leaf section. But anyway, I appreciate your help. As for getting quotes, yes, of course I will but I will be lucky to get more than one person interested. I am in a very small place and there is one bathroom/kitchen company and any other quotes will have to come from another city. With the amount of construction going on around I will be lucky to find three people interested in quoting for a relatively small job!
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 7:36 pm
Account Closed

[QUOTE=ezvanetree]
Originally Posted by Calgal
I think Butch is right (hate to say it ) but you should post this on the lifestyle forum.
take Yonks advice on that and get someone in to quote (at least three different ones).QUOTE]

There's a lifestyle forum? I took a look at the forum list but they were all country specific. I thought the main forum was really for immigration/moving etc questions. Hence my post here in the maple leaf section. But anyway, I appreciate your help. As for getting quotes, yes, of course I will but I will be lucky to get more than one person interested. I am in a very small place and there is one bathroom/kitchen company and any other quotes will have to come from another city. With the amount of construction going on around I will be lucky to find three people interested in quoting for a relatively small job!
Err, it's got more complicated recently - the Canada forum is the main Lifestyle forum, The Maple Leaf is a sub-forum for light conversation and general nonsense....

I never quite get 3 quotes for various reasons, but it is good advice - I think if you can get a ball-park figure then you know whether it's viable, then you can get more quotes. Mind that it will cause a lot of dust, not great for you at the moment and worse, once the little one comes.

Last edited by yonk; Jul 22nd 2006 at 8:09 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 8:32 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't really add anything to this other that to say we had a main bathroom renovated some time ago.

We had the sink and top (all one piece) replaced, a larger mirror installed, drywall around the tub replaced and a marble (like) tub surround installed. Cost approx $4,000 about ten years ago.

Yonk I'm curious. Why do you think he would need a pump and what would it be for?

If installing a skylight I would make sure you get a good one and get it properly installed. You don't want condensation forming on it and creating your own private rain cloud. Personally I'd be reluctant to install a skylight in a bathroom.

Cheers
Steve

Last edited by Hangman; Jul 22nd 2006 at 8:35 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 8:38 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Hangman
I can't really add anything to this other that to say we had a main bathroom renovated some time ago.

We had the sink and top (all one piece) replaced, a larger mirror installed, drywall around the tub replaced and a marble (like) tub surround installed. Cost approx $4,000 about ten years ago.

Yonk I'm curious. Why do you think he would need a pump and what would it be for?

If installing a skylight I would make sure you get a good one and get it properly installed. You don't want condensation forming on it and creating your own private rain cloud. Personally I'd be reluctant to install a skylight in a bathroom.

Cheers
Steve
I was saying it's easier to plumb if the services are above each other (no existing plumbing upstairs) - if the space where they want to put the bathroom is away from where there is already plumbing, then you need to run waste/water pipes and that may need a pump.....depends on the run.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 8:43 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

I was saying it's easier to plumb if the services are above each other (no exisiting plumbing upstairs) - if the space where they want to put the bathroom is away from where there is already plumbing, then you need to run waste/water pipes and that may need a pump.....
With the proper run there should be no problem with waste and hooking into the main stack and as for supply I would think that unless he has his own well the water pressure should be no problem.

To give you and idea and I do realise we are in a major center, but we had to get a water pressure reduction valve installed in our home as the pressure was over 90 PSI we now have it down to 65 PSI and it's much easier on taps and valves.

Cheers
Steve
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

I was saying it's easier to plumb if the services are above each other (no existing plumbing upstairs) - if the space where they want to put the bathroom is away from where there is already plumbing, then you need to run waste/water pipes and that may need a pump.....depends on the run.

It's always better to be on top!
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 8:54 pm
Account Closed

With the proper run there should be no problem with waste and hooking into the main stack and as for supply I would think that unless he has his own well the water pressure should be no problem.

To give you and idea and I do realise we are in a major center, but we had to get a water pressure reduction valve installed in our home as the pressure was over 90 PSI we now have it down to 65 PSI and it's much easier on taps and valves.

Cheers
Steve
It was the waste I was thinking about - it's difficult to put in a soil pipe away from the downpipe so I only mentioned it as a possible extra cost, given that the OP was wanting to keep costs down.

....my hot water system safely valve used to blow at 3am in Edinburgh when 1st installed as the pressure rose so much overnight!
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 8:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by willmore
It's always better to be on top!
I'm far too lazy to be on top - how are you today, Sue?
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 9:36 pm
Whatacomplete Member

koogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond repute

OI!!!!!
WTF is this sensible stuff doin in here???????!!!!!!!!
If you ain't got a beaver, you're not comin in!!!!!!
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers Steve
Gee I hadn't thought of that, but a skylight is really the only option as the second floor is really the attic so the walls slope. I thought I would put in one that opened up anyway. And I could put in an exhaust fan thing too. The cost is adding up already!!

I see the point about the pump but comments about the soil drain pipe are scary as there is no way to put this bathroom above the ground floor one. However, these are issues for the bathroom builder (should I find such a thing).
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve - how you doing?

We have a skylight in one of our bathrooms and it's fine - at least from a condensation point of view. When we had the roof inspected recently it turned out it wasn't fastened!! (no screws, nails, nuthin!!) :rolleyes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.