Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Renewing UK Passport from Canada - positive experience

Renewing UK Passport from Canada - positive experience

Old Dec 5th 2016, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing UK Passport from Canada - positive experience

OK thanks so we did not have to get a counter signature for our two applications but I recall now the criteria for doing so (had it been necessary) was a bit tricky to work out who might do it. But we thought of someone in the end who said they would if required.

I put two blank photos in for each. The stamped one with each set said "I certify that this is a true likeness of ..." so we did not use that photo (we got 4 for each daughter).

S
Old Dec 5th 2016, 7:05 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

@ post #14 & 15 thanks for posting that info

Mine is due in 2017

When the wife renewed her's in 2010 she had her pictures done at one of those snazzy [quick] photo booths in the mall, approx $4 for 5 pics at the time & they were acceptable by the BPO ... go figure

A Canadian (non-Brit) signed off on her application

I'll try that also this time round
Old Dec 5th 2016, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I just prefer London Drugs because many people I know with have had a lot of trouble and ended up getting the wrong photo size for PR apps (photographer decides to do their own thing) and I know LD do it right. I checked with them before and their machine sizes it to any spec. My local one does a lot of UK pp photos. The woman in the queue behind us was also having hers done for a UK pp app.

I'll let you know if our photos are returned!!

S
Old Dec 5th 2016, 7:13 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bucks_Family
I filled the renewal form in online (same form for new applications too), and paid the fee (£72)..
According to the HMPO website the price has gone up

Total cost including courier is now £102.86 [£83.00 fee + £19.86 courier]
Old Dec 5th 2016, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Under 16s are cheaper (GBP72). GBP102.86 is correct for an adult (that's why 19 year old asked me to pay!).

S
Old Dec 5th 2016, 7:25 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Note, nothing was stamped on any photo at London Drugs, and shouldn't be for a UK passport application.
Was the date already on the photopaper? Because a dated photograph was a requirement when I did mine a few months back. (on the back, obviously )
Old Dec 5th 2016, 7:39 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
I just prefer London Drugs because many people I know with have had a lot of trouble and ended up getting the wrong photo size for PR apps (photographer decides to do their own thing) and I know LD do it right. I checked with them before and their machine sizes it to any spec.
My original PR pics were done in Jean Coutu in Quebec. CIC's mishandling led to a second application, by which time I had moved here and I used a 'proper' photographer as it was nearest to me.

I used him again for my first UK passport renewal but for another since and a PR card renewal, I used Shoppers as they added the service at the store near me.

I always have the guidance notes to show the size and specs each body requires and I make a point of saying it's not the same as Canadian passports.

The machine looks like one of those tricorder thingies from Star Trek.
Old Dec 5th 2016, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Was the date already on the photopaper? Because a dated photograph was a requirement when I did mine a few months back. (on the back, obviously )
The lady in charge of the photography counter at my local London Drugs made sure the lad who took the photos, printed and cut them didn't stamp anything on them ("not for UK passports", she told him, when he was about to stamp something on one).

My counter-signing friend wrote the date on the back of the photo, along with the "I certify that..." gubbins. Have a fine-tipped pen handy for that bit...
Old Dec 5th 2016, 9:56 pm
Oscar nominated

The lady in charge of the photography counter at my local London Drugs made sure the lad who took the photos, printed and cut them didn't stamp anything on them ("not for UK passports", she told him...
That's reassuring
My counter-signing friend wrote the date on the back of the photo, along with the "I certify that..." gubbins. Have a fine-tipped pen handy for that bit...
Ah, so it was dated then, just from a different person.

As I didn't need a counter signatory on mine - just as handsome as the previous passport photo - the date had to come from the photographer.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just an update: husband couriered off passport renewal for adult daughter and minor daughter (almost 16 but didn't wait to get her an adult passport) on 6 December.

I got him to slip in the London Drugs date stamped photo as well as two blank backed photos for each daughter to provide evidence of when the photos were taken (after reading through this thread and deciding that would be wise as neither daughter needed a counter signature).

Minor daughter off school with a cold and has just told me that the new ones have arrived (do they send back the cancelled old ones?). Nine days: pretty good.

It was expensive but as they say: "you get what you pay for" which in this case is an efficient service.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Dec 15th 2016 at 7:12 pm.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 7:24 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Anyone have a personal experience renewing their British passport while visiting the UK - if so, is it doable & how long would it take?

Was looking at mine that is coming up for renewal & considering doing it on my next visit to the UK

edit: in the following link, would this be right?

https://www.gov.uk/passport-applicat...le-visiting-uk

Last edited by not2old; Dec 15th 2016 at 7:27 pm.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 8:40 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Snowy560
...do they send back the cancelled old ones?...
I got mine the day before the renewal arrived.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

My son renewed his two years ago whilst we were on holiday in the UK. We didn't do it that way though, but I can't find the link to what we did do - we made an appointment at a passport office, went in at that time, sat with someone who went through the application and returned to get the passport about three hours later. We went to Peterborough, because we were staying near Cambridge, and just made a day out of it.
Sorry - inserted in wrong place! This is in reply to not2old's query above.

Last edited by Twitcher1958; Dec 15th 2016 at 8:46 pm. Reason: Clarification
Old May 10th 2017, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Ressurecting this thread...

Just had the kids photos done. They were 5 and 11 when their last passports were issued. Think they look a bit different now so getting their pics countersigned... BUT...
...gotta figure out who we know who can sign.
Old May 10th 2017, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Mine were 10 & 14 and 15 & 19 on renewal I didn't get them countersigned but I judged it would be fine and it was.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.