Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Renewing UK Passport from Canada - positive experience

Renewing UK Passport from Canada - positive experience

Old Nov 11th 2016, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond repute
Default Renewing UK Passport from Canada - positive experience

Just a quick post to share a positive experience we've just had renewing our son's UK passport from here in Alberta. It might be useful for others needing to renew a passport.

I filled the renewal form in online (same form for new applications too), and paid the fee (£72). I could then print out the forms, I had a friend here certify one of my son's passport photos ($13 from London Drugs, no problems there, they have a system for sizing the photos correctly for UK passport requirements) and fill in half a page of the form with their contact information.
I only needed to send one page of the application form, two of his photos (including the certified one, of course) and his old UK passport to the Durham passport office. I did this by DHL, it cost $63, which was the cheapest out of them, UPS, Fedex, Purolater and CanadaPost (hah, as if!?).

I dropped it in the DHL office at Calgary airport on Thursday afternoon, 3rd November. It was in Newcastle by Friday evening and delivered to the passport office in Durham on Monday morning, noted as accepted by the passport office on Tuesday, printed on Wednesday and marked as dispatched on Thursday. DHL texted me on Thursday morning (Calgary time) to say they had it at Heathrow.
It crossed the Atlantic overnight Thursday/Friday, went from Cincinnati to Calgary on Friday morning, and was delivered to my house in Airdire at noon on Friday, 11th November.

Just a few hours under 8 days from dropping it at DHL to having his new passport back in my hands, including a weekend where nothing happened. Not bad. See, the world hasn't actually fallen apart since Trump won...
Old Nov 13th 2016, 12:26 am
Banned

schengen area is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Renewing UK Passport from Canada - positive experience

In Ontario....mine took a day less of that time and the experience was the same. However, I used canada post and the fee was $43 registered
Old Nov 13th 2016, 12:37 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by schengen area
In Ontario....mine took a day less of that time and the experience was the same. However, I used canada post and the fee was $43 registered
Not sure for mine last year but under two weeks. $43?

About $11 for mine. Canada Post of course.
Old Nov 13th 2016, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bucks_Family
Just a quick post to share a positive experience we've just had renewing our son's UK passport from here in Alberta. It might be useful for others needing to renew a passport.

I filled the renewal form in online (same form for new applications too), and paid the fee (£72). I could then print out the forms, I had a friend here certify one of my son's passport photos ($13 from London Drugs, no problems there, they have a system for sizing the photos correctly for UK passport requirements) and fill in half a page of the form with their contact information.
I only needed to send one page of the application form, two of his photos (including the certified one, of course) and his old UK passport to the Durham passport office. I did this by DHL, it cost $63, which was the cheapest out of them, UPS, Fedex, Purolater and CanadaPost (hah, as if!?).

I dropped it in the DHL office at Calgary airport on Thursday afternoon, 3rd November. It was in Newcastle by Friday evening and delivered to the passport office in Durham on Monday morning, noted as accepted by the passport office on Tuesday, printed on Wednesday and marked as dispatched on Thursday. DHL texted me on Thursday morning (Calgary time) to say they had it at Heathrow.
It crossed the Atlantic overnight Thursday/Friday, went from Cincinnati to Calgary on Friday morning, and was delivered to my house in Airdire at noon on Friday, 11th November.

Just a few hours under 8 days from dropping it at DHL to having his new passport back in my hands, including a weekend where nothing happened. Not bad. See, the world hasn't actually fallen apart since Trump won...
Good to know, I need to renew mine
Old Nov 13th 2016, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrishP
Good to know, I need to renew mine
Just wondering how you arrange the return courier? Is that all within the forms?

And do they send your (child's) old PP back? (Just about to apply for my daughters).

Thanks!
Old Nov 13th 2016, 1:43 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Just wondering how you arrange the return courier? Is that all within the forms?

And do they send your (child's) old PP back? (Just about to apply for my daughters).

Thanks!
Return via courier is included in the fee.

I got my old passport back and the next day the knew one.

The courier man knew it was a passport on delivery - but that was the old one.

When he came back the next day with the real one I said - ah, this will be my spare passport.
Old Nov 13th 2016, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you.

I'm slightly confused about the counter signatory.

One daughter is 15 and the other 19 (it's easier to get mum to do it and pay). Decided not to wait till 15 year old is 16 for adult PP.

Reading the guidance notes, I don't think a counter signature applies to either them if they can be recognized from their previous passport photos ... But might be safer to get one (sigh).

It's too early for this. Been up since 5 with sick cat so probably not thinking straight.

S
Old Dec 5th 2016, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi just checking this thread as about to mail off application from BC for two children but one is an adult (but not adult enough to pay the fee!!).

- So I should send it registered Canada post? Is that the best (only) way to get it signed for?

- we got the photos done in London Drugs who are great and can cope with the spec etc.

- now for Canadian PR etc, you write the name, d o b on the back of one and the London Drugs stamp provides the space for this. Did you put that info on? I couldn't see an instruction to do this.

- Ended up paying twice for the adult passport. Payment got stuck on verified by visa page so thought it had not gone through then paid on my debit card. Now it seems it has gone through maybe. So has anyone had the experience of paying twice and been able to get a refund?

I am sure we will manage even if no one replies but any responses appreciated!

S
Old Dec 5th 2016, 2:04 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Snowy560
- So I should send it registered Canada post? Is that the best (only) way to get it signed for?
It's what I did.
- we got the photos done in London Drugs who are great and can cope with the spec etc.
Shoppers for me. We don't have London Drugs. Probably the same idea though - they do it again at no charge if the pics are rejected.

- now for Canadian PR etc, you write the name, d o b on the back of one and the London Drugs stamp provides the space for this. Did you put that info on? I couldn't see an instruction to do this.
I can't find it in the guidance but I vaguely remember something about it only needing the date the pics were done but not to write on them.

I expected it to be one of those where the date was already printed on the photo paper but the person who does it at Shoppers had a little stamp and I was a bit worried that would count as writing but it wasn't a problem. I suppose it's about anything pressing through to the image.
Old Dec 5th 2016, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Thank you!

I got so stressed out doing the apps with daughters that I probably didn't read the detail as carefully as I should have. 15 year old decided to sign in a completely different way to how her signature looks on Canadian passport which is less than a year old [sigh]. 19 year old was cooperative but I was paying.

S
Old Dec 5th 2016, 6:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Just as an aside, don't forget to update their UK passport details in GOES for their NEXUS cards once the new passports come.
Old Dec 5th 2016, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

It is only one daughter: older one does her own thing and chose not to apply for Nexus. And Yes, dad was told that at the interview in relation to daughter (I was busy applying for my ESTA remember so did not hear this!).

Thanks!

S
Old Dec 5th 2016, 6:27 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

On the OP, if I may ask such a simple question for clarity on renewing British passports from Canada

Are all passport renewals now done in the UK, cos last ones we did were done at the British passport office in Washington DC for those of us on the eastern part of Canada?

Kindly fill in the small bits for me please, as I read it from this thread....

- fill in form

- have photos done, endorsed etc

- Form, photo's & payment in an envolope send them to some place in the UK

Is that it?

Is there a link somewhere for renewing British passports from Canada?
Old Dec 5th 2016, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

If you start here, it should be fairly easy to start the ball rolling.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Essentially:

- you answer a few Qs
- you get provided with a link to do the application
- you pay and then print out the declaration/document checklist
- you sign, gather documents
- you consult fellow BE people if you have questions!
- you mail off.

I suggest you download and study the guidance notes (link is provided at the end of the questionnaire).

S

PS: I just did it for my two daughters: one 15 and one 19. We managed the whole thing in a day including getting photos and a few arguments. No need for countersignature in either case as they don't look that different and don't meet any of the other criteria where one is needed. If you have a Canadian or other valid (non UK) passport, you need to enclose a full colour copy of those. And the uncancelled UK original pp. Don't forget to take your landing document out of it if it is stapled inside.

Last edited by Snowy560; Dec 5th 2016 at 6:57 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2016, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond repute

^^^ what Snowy says.
The most difficult part for us was finding the right person to write the "I certify that this is a true likeness of Mr XXXX XXXX, <signed> YYYYYY YYYYY, 1st Nov 2016".

The guidelines state that the countersignatory "must hold a UK, Irish or other EU, US or Commonwealth passport (in that order of preference) which has not run out. We will be able to process applications more quickly where the countersignature has a UK or Irish passport.", and who is a "professional person", and who has known us for two years. I can see that being kind of awkward if you've only been here a couple of years.

Fortunately we have Dual UK/Canadian passport-holding friends here, one of whom works for the Province, and she certified one of the photos.
Note, nothing was stamped on any photo at London Drugs, and shouldn't be for a UK passport application.

Last edited by Bucks_Family; Dec 5th 2016 at 6:57 pm. Reason: added a missing "

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.