Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Refugees claiming asylum in Manitoba

Refugees claiming asylum in Manitoba

Old Feb 7th 2017, 5:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Refugees claiming asylum in Manitoba

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
I think your arguments are not as full of facts as you appear to think. Or at least you are not providing much evidence of these.

The reasons for homelessness, and rough sleeping are more complicated than just economics. The trouble with the 'look after our own first' argument is that when it comes down to it the same people who have no compassion for refugees have the same hardened attitude to those they purport to prioritise, such as benefit claimants.

Even if that was not the case, and those refugees were provided with all the luxuries that you seem so certain of, this is because they aren't allowed to work. The original article stated that one of them had been working as a truck driver in the US, until he was caught up with. Not sure how he was costing the country.
I will give you some facts if that is what you want and hopefully you will be able to provide some answers from a purely Canadian pov.

We are now witnessing the highest levels of displacement on record.
An unprecedented 65.3 million people around the world have been forced from home. Among them are nearly 21.3 million refugees, over half of whom are under the age of 18.
There are also 10 million stateless people who have been denied a nationality and access to basic rights such as education, healthcare, employment and freedom of movement.
In a world where nearly 34,000 people are forcibly displaced every day as a result of conflict or persecution, our work at UNHCR is more important than ever before.

UNHCR - Figures at a Glance

So of these 65 million how many should Canada accept?
Why did the Canadian Government cap the number of refugees to be privately sponsored especially those from Syria?

Canada limits the number of privately sponsored Syrian refugee applicants in 2017 - British Columbia - CBC News

How many non privately sponsored refugees should Canada accept?

Refugees receive up to a maximum of $25,000 per family, which includes "a onetime startup payment to assist the refugees in establishing a household in Canada, as well as monthly income support to help them get through their first year in the country," said Nancy Chan, a communications adviser in the Immigration Department.

Do government-assisted refugees receive more money for food than Canadians on welfare? - Politics - CBC News

I look forward to your answers.
Old Feb 7th 2017, 5:32 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
So of these 65 million how many should Canada accept?
Why did the Canadian Government cap the number of refugees to be privately sponsored especially those from Syria?
How many non privately sponsored refugees should Canada accept?...
Didn't you just say something about tactics used to prevent discussion? You know full well nobody is going to answer that sort of question - unless 3; because there was an R in the month; 7 are okay as answers - not because they won't but because nobody can and they are not relevant to ideas and principles anyway.
Old Feb 7th 2017, 5:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Didn't you just say something about tactics used to prevent discussion? You know full well nobody is going to answer that sort of question - unless 3; because there was an R in the month; 7 are okay as answers - not because they won't but because nobody can and they are not relevant to ideas and principles anyway.
Its not a tactic to prevent discussion at all. What annoys me from posters on here and out in the general public is that they are all saying we must do more.
So when I present them with facts and ask for some solutions they get in a huff and call me racist (not on BE as yet) and uncaring.

We have been promising to help First Nations peoples for years and years hows that going?
We have been doing the same for homelessness and mental health.
Anyone can say we need to do more but talking about it won't solve the problem.
What nobody will admit apart from me is that we CANNOT afford to do what these people are asking.

There is no simple solution.
Old Feb 7th 2017, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I think there has been ample experience in the UK that this has not always been the case.

I think I'd be on safe ground in believing that 'fair' is even less likely in the US.
Tell that to Michael Jackson, or OJ Simpson, or Jian Ghomeshi.

Now, I completely accpet that you appear to come across as someone that simply "knows" better than the Judges that hear all of the evidence and who weighted that evidence accordingly but some of us simply defer to those judges.
Old Feb 7th 2017, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect that those that wish to argue for Canada taking in more refugees were likely to be the same people that argued against Canada getting involved in dealing with conflicts that resulted in them becoming refugees in the first place.

Would it have been better to attempt to resolve the conflict so that they didn't have to leave their homeland in the first place?
Old Feb 7th 2017, 6:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

The first "safe" country a refugee reaches is likely to be one of those that has taken a vast number of refugees, Lebanon, Jordan, Turkey. I don't blame anyone who can move on from there for doing so, life there is just going to be commuting out from a camp taking poorly paid jobs in competition with very many other refugees. It's "safe" only in the very specific sense that no one is currently bombing the camps. If, along the way, the refugee learns to phrase his or her story compellingly, I see no problem with that either. If the refugee gets to Canada then there are judges who weren't born yesterday, have heard it all before, and are likely to reject bogus claims.

None of this deals with the problem for Canada. There's no shortage of genuine refugees. I don't imagine a country with frostbite is first choice for many but, take only the real ones, and there are still as many as Canada wants to take. The questions, I think, are:

- how many to take
- which ones
- what to do with the rejects

Canada is lucky in having only one land border. That generally allows sifting through refugees in camps, cherry picking. Not accepting any land refugees would be one option. Maybe it could be enforced by building a wall; that's not expensive if you use undocumented labour.
Old Feb 7th 2017, 6:18 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Its not a tactic to prevent discussion at all. What annoys me from posters on here and out in the general public is that they are all saying we must do more.
So when I present them with facts and ask for some solutions they get in a huff and call me racist (not on BE as yet) and uncaring.
Oh, who was it on here that said we must do more?
Old Feb 7th 2017, 6:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I suspect that those that wish to argue for Canada taking in more refugees were likely to be the same people that argued against Canada getting involved in dealing with conflicts that resulted in them becoming refugees in the first place.
Are you suggesting that the Iraq war was an attempt to deal with a conflict rather than being the conflict?
Old Feb 7th 2017, 6:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dbd33
Are you suggesting that the Iraq war was an attempt to deal with a conflict rather than being the conflict?
No, I was talking about the conflict in Syria
Old Feb 7th 2017, 6:30 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Canada could resettle a 100,000 or so in the Maritimes. It would bring some economic boost to the area through investment in new housing and facilities, and with entrepreneurial spirit, refugees might revitalise some of the communities there.
Old Feb 7th 2017, 6:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Shard
Canada could resettle a 100,000 or so in the Maritimes. It would bring some economic boost to the area through investment in new housing and facilities, and with entrepreneurial spirit, refugees might revitalise some of the communities there.
Eh? The Government has to fund people living there at the moment (through the nonsense EI system). Why would anyone want to have more people doing the same thing?

Settle them in a place where their background won't hold them back. Somewhere where noone cares where you come from or what religion you are, simply that you are prepared to work. Send them to Calgary
Old Feb 7th 2017, 6:47 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

... call me racist...
Accusing others of political correctness does nothing to allay the thought that there are ideas that you want to express but feel constrained from doing so.
Old Feb 7th 2017, 7:02 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...they are all saying we must do more...Anyone can say we need to do more but talking about it won't solve the problem...
Earlier on you mentioned a cap on private sponsorship. That a cap is considered necessary suggests there are more willing to help than are being allowed to. There are groups who have arranged the necessary support and are impatient to have families to help.

I'm not saying that's enough, I'm saying that there are people able and willing to do more than just talking.

Tell that to Michael Jackson, or OJ Simpson, or Jian Ghomeshi.

Now, I completely accpet that you appear to come across as someone that simply "knows" better than the Judges ...
What have those cases got to do with an immigration hearing?

My comment on this thread about some hearings in the UK not having been fair is based on the research carried out by UK officials and subsequent hearings with immigration judges; people who have "examined the evidence and weighted it accordingly"
Old Feb 7th 2017, 7:28 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Eh? The Government has to fund people living there at the moment (through the nonsense EI system). Why would anyone want to have more people doing the same thing?

Settle them in a place where their background won't hold them back. Somewhere where noone cares where you come from or what religion you are, simply that you are prepared to work. Send them to Calgary
That's the whole point, economic development of the Maritime provinces. Re-population is a good start. Typically immigrant communities are resourceful and will seek to build their own businesses etc..
Old Feb 7th 2017, 7:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Earlier on you mentioned a cap on private sponsorship. That a cap is considered necessary suggests there are more willing to help than are being allowed to. There are groups who have arranged the necessary support and are impatient to have families to help.

I'm not saying that's enough, I'm saying that there are people able and willing to do more than just talking.

The Government implemented the cap. Trudeau says we must do more blah blah blah but then puts a cap on the number of privately sponsored refugees. That makes a whole lot of sense when there are numerous groups and individuals willing to sponsor them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.