Recommend GPS system

Old Mar 28th 2016, 8:00 pm
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Recommend GPS system

When I visit Europe, almost always UK or Germany, I rent a car for the duration. Instead of spending stupid $ to add a GPS to the cost, I thought of buying a GPS here in Canada and taking it with me. Also could use it here in Canada when I rent, but Europe is the priority.
Would it make sense to do this and any recommendations for GPS type and even model that is best for Europe?
Old Mar 28th 2016, 8:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recommend GPS system

Your phone with Google maps will likely give you everything you need, and with no investment in hardware, or add-on fees.

Cell tower density in the UK and Europe eliminates the need for a GPS.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 8:24 pm
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Your phone with Google maps will likely give you everything you need, and with no investment in hardware, or add-on fees.

Cell tower density in the UK and Europe eliminates the need for a GPS.
But surely I would have to buy a phone data plan for Europe and my experience with a mobile phone on a data plan in the German countryside was hopeless. I'm not too concerned with navigating on the cheap. I need something that works well.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

I used Garmin but thats because big truck specific GPS wasnt common when i was still trucking.
Garmin do have some with pre installed European maps and mostly Garmin have free lifetime updates but check the small print for that ! Heres a link and i think theres one listed on this link for Nth America and Europe ?

https://www.amazon.ca/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_8pr2iqjubt_e

Last edited by Juggernaut1064; Mar 28th 2016 at 8:48 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 8:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pdarwin
But surely I would have to buy a phone data plan for Europe and my experience with a mobile phone on a data plan in the German countryside was hopeless. I'm not too concerned with navigating on the cheap. I need something that works well.
Yes, you'd need a data plan. I haven't had data problems in the UK, and would be entirely comfortable using phone-based maps in Europe, not because it is "on the cheap", but a GPS is IMO another unnecessary gadget to be carrying around.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 8:44 pm
Peter Darwin

Originally Posted by Juggernaut1064
I used Garmin but thats because big truck specific GPS wasnt common when i was still trucking.
Garmin do have some with pre installed European maps and mostly Garmin have free lifetime updates but check the small print for that ! Heres a link and i think theres one listed on this link for Nth America and Europe ?

https://www.amazon.ca/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_8pr2iqjubt_e
Thanks. Some of the newer Garmin models look good. I also heard that Tom-Tom was better for Europe, but I don't remember the reasons why.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. Some of the newer Garmin models look good. I also heard that Tom-Tom was better for Europe, but I don't remember the reasons why.
I just did find a tomtom with European maps too but reviews panned it so i deleted the link from here.
Seems the memory want big enough to update both american and European maps. I suppose you get what you pay for ?
Might be better to just buy a cheaper european one when you get there ?

Last edited by Juggernaut1064; Mar 28th 2016 at 8:55 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 9:00 pm
Peter Darwin

Yes, you'd need a data plan. I haven't had data problems in the UK, and would be entirely comfortable using phone-based maps in Europe, not because it is "on the cheap", but a GPS is IMO another unnecessary gadget to be carrying around.
Last year in Germany we had two different cell phone systems with data plans and although they worked in the cities, they were worse than useless in the countryside, yet the GPS built in to the rental vehicle was a life saver as German country roads are not well lit at night and poorly signposted. This is mainly where I will be needing GPS.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 9:14 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

A road map?
Old Mar 28th 2016, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
A road map?
I tried to buy one four years ago. The most recent I could find was printed in 2006. ..... And is exactly why I bought my first smart phone!
Old Mar 28th 2016, 9:19 pm
Peter Darwin

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
A road map?
I'm normally pretty good reading a paper map, but imagine in the countryside at night, poor street lighting, narrow roads, many winding turns. A GPS with a voice is a saving grace.
Believe it or not, last year was the first time I'd ever used GPS in any vehicle, as I always relied on maps previously. But as it was not optional in the rental car I had, and I said I had no need for it, they let me use it for free. I was so impressed with the GPS that I cannot imagine my next trip without it, but if I have to pay for it then it costs as much as buying a new one each time.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 9:36 pm
Formerly known as Hangman

Tinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond repute

This would depend on which kind of phone he has. Most if not all Android phones have a built in GPS antenna no data plan or internet connection required. Just download and app from the Google Play store. Two that can be tried are Here (Formerly Nokia maps) and Maps.me

Also if you have an iPhone with 3G or 4G it also has a GPS antenna built in so all you have to do is download a mapping app and it's good to go offline no data plan or internet required either, except of course to download the apps.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 10:38 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

We had a Garmin GPS from France when we moved here, it was $100 to update with north american maps but the ex is still going strong with it 6 years later. I preferred Garmin to Tom-Tom at the time.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 11:07 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

TomTom
Old Mar 28th 2016, 11:30 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Garmin in my vehicles and aircraft. I've never had any other brand so I don't know about Tom Tom or Magellan.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.