Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Rats and a Sinking Ship

Rats and a Sinking Ship

Old Sep 13th 2008, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rats and a Sinking Ship

The danger in announcing ones departure is that one might be wished good riddance.

I never understood why some request the mods that their names be deleted. All they need do is refrain from posting.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 6:59 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montreal mike
I never understood why some request the mods that their names be deleted. All they need do is refrain from posting.
Oh the drama. Attention seekers.

R.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007

R.
Perhaps so but my guess is that most here would not care one way or the other.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 7:03 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

The danger in announcing ones departure is that one might be wished good riddance.

I think Rich is right it is all down to attention seeking - if it is made public that someone has asked for their name to be removed - they can always come back as somebody else.

This forum is very addictive and an attention seeker will do just that, as they wouldn't be able to resist simply not posting.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 7:09 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

R.
Perhaps so but my guess is that most here would not care one way or the other.
Originally Posted by mandymoochops
I think Rich is right it is all down to attention seeking - if it is made public that someone has asked for their name to be removed - they can always come back as somebody else.

This forum is very addictive and an attention seeker will do just that, as they wouldn't be able to resist simply not posting.
Oh you cynics...........................

Old Sep 13th 2008, 7:18 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Oh you cynics...........................
Nah, we just understand people and their wierd motivations. People are basically all fu**ed up.

"People are Strange" (thanks Jim Morrison).

R.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 7:51 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Nah, we just understand people and their wierd motivations. People are basically all fu**ed up.

"People are Strange" (thanks Jim Morrison).

R.
Aww can't beat the doors eh?
Another (louder, more agressive) option may be.....Slipknot. 'People=Shit'.

Disclaimer.
I am in no way saying that I believe anyone on BE, or otherwise, to be 'shit'. Rich's choice of song made me think. I'm not saying Rich007 is shit either.

Carry on then.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

I've managed forums for almost a decade. Just closed down my last one because I had enough. I had mods who volunteered but never did anything. I had users who were only out to cause problems. I laughed my head off sitting quietly watching one user with two screen names have an argument with herself to the point point that one of her personalities said "I'm leaving!" another one left, asked to have name deleted then re-registered using a name that was obvious who it was. When openly confronted by several she denied it profusely.

Another fight mongler and bully got banned multiple times but was stupid enough to log on from her company computer. A short e-mail to the admin there and she was never heard of.

Someone else who left on her own accord claimed on another forum that she had been banned. I had to go on there and tell it like it was. Last laugh and all that...

Anyway - the years taught me this:

 A lot of people using boards need attention and confirmation. Some more than others.

 It is a popularity contest. Don't for a second think it isn't. I was the one who would strongly state it wasn't until I took a serious look at statistics on my boards. Some people DO get more answers to their questions than others. Some will post in a thread and it instantly dies.

 Bullying exist everywhere. Even in the virtual world of message boards where you hardly ever meet in real life.

 Some boards (absolutely not this one) have mods that are mods only because they need a power trip.

 If you don't want to know why no-one gives you any attention on a board - don't ask.

 If you intend to leave, just leave. No one needs the drama, not even the person leaving. Announcing departure can get ugly very quickly. PM the people that matter, let them know where to contact you off the board and leave it at that. No need to go public.

 For some people there comes a time in life when leaving a board will be beneficial and have nothing to do with anything.

Anyway - time to check out what else has been going on today.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 7:59 pm
Lloydminster AB

kate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond repute

you know the old saying? it takes all sorts to make the world go round and Im just one of the head cases who fd up on here and still its the place to be when you need answers or want just to chat, we have all been on here posting and mostly have a laugh, to help us through rough times so Im happy still to be here
Old Sep 13th 2008, 8:00 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
Aww can't beat the doors eh?
Another (louder, more agressive) option may be.....Slipknot. 'People=Shit'.

Disclaimer.
I am in no way saying that I believe anyone on BE, or otherwise, to be 'shit'. Rich's choice of song made me think. I'm not saying Rich007 is shit either.
Carry on then.
Lol do you think that may be the way to go - disclaimers under every post to avoid offence!

Disclaimer - I am in no way inferring by this point that anybody says anything other than what they actually mean
Old Sep 13th 2008, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kate white
you know the old saying? it takes all sorts to make the world go round and Im just one of the head cases who fd up on here and still its the place to be when you need answers or want just to chat, we have all been on here posting and mostly have a laugh, to help us through rough times so Im happy still to be here
I totally agree.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 8:12 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Sarcasm aside (briefly) I actually do think that is the way to go. If I could be bothered, I could draft me a disclaimer & put it in my sig. This is the thing with internet chat isn't it, people don't know you. Things that go without saying amongst friends have to be painfully spelt out to online folks. And then still misunderstood or deliberately misconstrued. YYz's list is interesting though....

More wine for me
Old Sep 13th 2008, 9:12 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

It's odd. I was thinking along the lines of this thread while I was out tidying the garden this morning.

I'm all for free speech and all that, but I think some people post on here things that they wouldn't think of saying to somebody face to face. I know I do too! - hopefully not in a nasty way, but because it's easy to be brave in the relative anonymity, and easy to plan what you are going to say, when you have the chance to write it down and review it.

Of course people are entitled to an opinion, but I really feel that each of us should realise that there are real people sitting at their keyboards. Normally common decency would prevent most people from deliberately being hurtful when they can see the recipients' reaction.

Those people on here who would really say exactly what they are thinking without regard to another's beliefs, opinions or feelings in the presence of those they are talking about are people I would rather not know. In real life I would not choose their company, and in virtual life I think I feel the same way.

There are many, the majority on here probably, who are kind and sensitive and inclined to be helpful, and those I respect. There are some who just like to clown around and make a noise. I can tolerate those and sometimes find them amusing, whether they meant to be or not. There are others who think a lot of themselves and look down on the rest of us. That's OK, I guess. One can ignore them to an extent, but when they are deliberately hurtful just because they can be, it seems to me like cowardly bullying.

There are times when I think there is too much of the latter on here, and then I withdraw for a bit. There's no point in trying to call people like that out on their behaviour ... that is just grist to their mill.

What am I trying to say? .... nothing much really, just musing. Back to the real world, I guess.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 9:15 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
It's odd. I was thinking along the lines of this thread while I was out tidying the garden this morning.

I'm all for free speech and all that, but I think some people post on here things that they wouldn't think of saying to somebody face to face. I know I do too! - hopefully not in a nasty way, but because it's easy to be brave in the relative anonymity, and easy to plan what you are going to say, when you have the chance to write it down and review it.

Of course people are entitled to an opinion, but I really feel that each of us should realise that there are real people sitting at their keyboards. Normally common decency would prevent most people from deliberately being hurtful when they can see the recipients' reaction.

Those people on here who would really say exactly what they are thinking without regard to another's beliefs, opinions or feelings in the presence of those they are talking about are people I would rather not know. In real life I would not choose their company, and in virtual life I think I feel the same way.

There are many, the majority on here probably, who are kind and sensitive and inclined to be helpful, and those I respect. There are some who just like to clown around and make a noise. I can tolerate those and sometimes find them amusing, whether they meant to be or not. There are others who think a lot of themselves and look down on the rest of us. That's OK, I guess. One can ignore them to an extent, but when they are deliberately hurtful just because they can be, it seems to me like cowardly bullying.

There are times when I think there is too much of the latter on here, and then I withdraw for a bit. There's no point in trying to call people like that out on their behaviour ... that is just grist to their mill.

What am I trying to say? .... nothing much really, just musing. Back to the real world, I guess.
Sorry Mo,
I'll try to tone it down
Old Sep 13th 2008, 9:19 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Sorry Mo,
I'll try to tone it down

Do so!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.