Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Rare diseases and cost of medications

Rare diseases and cost of medications

Old Dec 6th 2017, 10:55 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rare diseases and cost of medications

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I have every sympathy with JS but even if you can't exercise per se, then even walking on the spot or around your work place is still better than sitting down in front of a computer. People who even walk for 20/30 mins a day live longer than those who are sedentary, it doesn't even need to be in one go..

Why are you even trying to compare muscular skeletal injury to heart disease, high blood pressure, type II diabetes, cancer and all the other myriad of health related diseases? There is no comparison, and you know it. I wasn't even complaining about health care cost and lifestyle, I was merely pointing out that if you want to have your body Frozen as per Mark G's post then you'd better make sure your body is in a healthy enough state to do it. Unless you've been living under a rock, then you know that my generation and the next is a time bomb waiting to happen!
Freezing bodies? I missed any talk of that!

My comparison was related to ascribing blame for illness and disease. Lifestyle choices? If your going to blame someone for being a smoker or fat and say that they contributed to their illness then the same applies to runners either their shin splints and knee injuries.
There's even a perverse pride in sports injuries. In the waiting area for expensive exams such as MRI an nuclear medicine the runner will be almost boasting of their injury whereas the lung cancer patient who has been addicted since early teens won't be.

You will know that there's a huge genetic and environmental component to disease and blaming someone's lifestyle choices as you call them is unhelpful and often harmful when it prevents people seeking medical help because they fear criticism.
Old Dec 7th 2017, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Freezing bodies? I missed any talk of that!
A friend at university used to do that as a summer job. I had to settle for doing paperwork at an insurance company.
Old Dec 7th 2017, 3:35 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I have every sympathy with JS but even if you can't exercise per se, then even walking on the spot or around your work place is still better than sitting down in front of a computer.
I think the guys that load planes are getting more of a workout than anyone walking around.
Old Dec 7th 2017, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Latest news in the UK is that losing 10-15 kg through a focused diet can reverse Type II diabetes. Apparently, some breakthrough research in The Lancet yesterday.
It's almost as though people haven't been saying 'I cut fast carbs from my diet, lost weight and am no longer diabetic' for decades.
Old Dec 7th 2017, 5:34 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
It's almost as though people haven't been saying 'I cut fast carbs from my diet, lost weight and am no longer diabetic' for decades.
I did wonder that. Maybe it's some initiative to reduce the cost of funding Type II meds in advance of the diabetic epidemic. Most people prefer a natural remedy after all.
Old Dec 7th 2017, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

I did wonder that. Maybe it's some initiative to reduce the cost of funding Type II meds in advance of the diabetic epidemic. Most people prefer a natural remedy after all.
Curing it is much better than treating it, in any case. The big problem is getting people to stick to the diet, and not revert to their bad habits that caused the diabetes in the first place.

BTW, there are genetic cures for both type-1 and type-2 diabetes in mice, which are likely to work just as well in humans once they're tested. But type-2 will keep coming back if people stick to the same carb-heavy diets.

Last edited by MarkG; Dec 7th 2017 at 6:26 pm.
Old Dec 8th 2017, 3:15 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Curing it is much better than treating it, in any case. The big problem is getting people to stick to the diet, and not revert to their bad habits that caused the diabetes in the first place.

BTW, there are genetic cures for both type-1 and type-2 diabetes in mice, which are likely to work just as well in humans once they're tested. But type-2 will keep coming back if people stick to the same carb-heavy diets.
Didn't know genetic cures had been developed already. How long does the testing process take?

I suppose that's true about the carbs etc, most people know about the consequences of smoking or heavy drinking, but yet they do it.
Old Dec 8th 2017, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Didn't know genetic cures had been developed already. How long does the testing process take?
Years. But genetic modification is becoming so easy that people are doing it at home, so that's likely to change before long.

If I remember correctly, for type-1 they activate genes that aren't being activated, or insert genes that are missing. For type-2, they insert those genes into pancreas cells that weren't designed to create insulin, but can be convinced to start doing so.
Old Dec 8th 2017, 4:33 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...genetic modification is becoming so easy that people are doing it at home....For type-2, they insert those genes into pancreas cells that weren't designed to create insulin, but can be convinced to start doing so.
I have half a day spare. What kind of shop might I buy these genes from? Should I be making an incision or is there some sort of tube or needle I can use? Anaesthetic needed or can I perform this DIY operation while awake?
Old Dec 8th 2017, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Do a web search on biohackers, and you should come up with everything you need to know .

The hardware to do it is still expensive, but prices will drop. Human gene sequencing, for example, has gone from about $1,000,000,000 to $1,000 over the last twenty years.
Old Dec 8th 2017, 5:09 pm
Yo

Do a web search on biohackers, and you should come up with everything you need to know .

The hardware to do it is still expensive, but prices will drop. Human gene sequencing, for example, has gone from about $1,000,000,000 to $1,000 over the last twenty years.
Have you had your genome sequenced yet, and if so, are you human?

Who is doing gene editing "at home" that sounds a crazy idea?
Old Dec 8th 2017, 5:17 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Who is doing gene editing "at home" that sounds a crazy idea?
I suppose it might explain some things. Best left to the experts though.

Old Dec 8th 2017, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Have you had your genome sequenced yet, and if so, are you human?
I almost did in October when there was a cheap deal for a full-body MRI and gene sequencing with analysis of both for possible health issues. But I'd have had to fly to California at short notice to do it, and wasn't up to that at the time.

The same company is supposed to open a clinic in Canada before long, so I'll probably do it then.

Edit: I believe they're actually one of Amazon's largest 'cloud' users, as they use Amazon's servers for processing the DNA data because it's cheaper than setting up their own. I think they've done around 50,000 people now, and are studying the data to better understand what a lot of previously unexamined genes do.

Last edited by MarkG; Dec 8th 2017 at 5:22 pm.
Old Dec 8th 2017, 6:13 pm
Yo

I almost did in October when there was a cheap deal for a full-body MRI and gene sequencing with analysis of both for possible health issues. But I'd have had to fly to California at short notice to do it, and wasn't up to that at the time.

The same company is supposed to open a clinic in Canada before long, so I'll probably do it then.

Edit: I believe they're actually one of Amazon's largest 'cloud' users, as they use Amazon's servers for processing the DNA data because it's cheaper than setting up their own. I think they've done around 50,000 people now, and are studying the data to better understand what a lot of previously unexamined genes do.
Ah, ok. Home-based genome sequencing is a bit more understandable. I'd like to have that kind of screening done too, but will wait till it's even more affordable. Ideally it will be available on NHS/healthcare in due course, it makes so much sense.
Old Dec 8th 2017, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yeah, amongst other things, they can tell you which chemotherapy drugs are likely to work best if you get cancer, based on the specific combinations of genes they find. So it seems like the kind of thing the NHS should be doing as a precautionary measure to avoid wasting time with treatments that aren't going to work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.