Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Jan 13th 2017, 7:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Souvy
Pedestrians in parts of Ottawa have abandoned sidewalks (inadequately ploughed) in favour of pristine cycle lanes.

Apparently a lot of cyclists are narked. That's about par for the course with the holier-than-thou cycling brigade.

I'm sure that if the ploughing regime were switched, cyclists would soon be mowing people down on the sidewalks.
That was happening in Vancouver as well. Some bike lanes were even cleared before the road next to it was.

Out my way no bike lanes for the most part, but pedestrians were walking in the street at times as the side walks were not always cleared enough to walk on.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 12:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Wal-Mart Canada and 4 management members are in trouble.

Walmart faces 174 charges related to sale of fire-contaminated food - Edmonton - CBC News
Old Jan 18th 2017, 9:21 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

My daughters car insurance has pretty much doubled in cost now she's in Ontario
Old Jan 19th 2017, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

You couldn't make this up (at least I couldn't)

From the dreadful Daily Mail
Police inspector, 55, in charge of destroying seized drugs 'was found with £700,000 haul in his house - including 11 kilos of cocaine in his washing machine'
Keith Boots, 55, allegedly stole the drugs from police stores to sell on the streets
Drugs were found at his home after a raid by West Yorkshire Police colleagues
Insp Boots had been in the force for over 20 years and was based in Bradford
It is alleged he plotted with his son Ashley, 31, to sell the stolen narcotics

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4133560/Police-inspector-11-kilos-cocaine-home.html#ixzz4WCIuBs6L
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Old Jan 19th 2017, 12:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Trump Picks El Chapo to Run D.E.A.
NEW YORK (The Borowitz Report)—Just days after picking Betsy DeVos to run the Department of Education, President-elect Donald Trump has tapped another wealthy outsider by naming Joaquín Guzmán, known as “El Chapo,” to head the Drug Enforcement Administration.

In an official statement, Trump said that El Chapo’s “tremendous success in the private sector” showed that he has what it takes to “shake things up” at the D.E.A.

Trump’s appointment of the former drug lord surprised many in Washington, in no small part because acrimony between the two allegedly prompted El Chapo, in 2015, to put a hundred-million-dollar bounty on Trump’s head.

But, appearing on CNN, the Trump surrogate Kellyanne Conway said that the selection of El Chapo should surprise no one. “Mr. Trump always said that he would surround himself with the best people,” she said.

When asked why Trump had readily offered a job to El Chapo while still mulling the fate of another former adversary, Mitt Romney, Conway said, “El Chapo might not have voted for Mr. Trump, but that’s because he’s Mexican and in jail, and Mitt Romney is neither.”

The appointment of the former drug kingpin is far from a done deal, however, as associates of El Chapo report that he is “concerned” that being a member of the Trump Administration would be bad for his brand.

This humour piece is worthy of Private Eye and the writer looks well worth following.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 12:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Trump Picks El Chapo to Run D.E.A.

This humour piece is worthy of Private Eye and the writer looks well worth following.

"Putin to Sing at Inauguration" is my recent favourite.
Old Jan 21st 2017, 9:37 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

me and my mates drank a naff load of 12-year whisky, it's only then that I realized it was old. No wonder I felt sick.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 1:56 am
Account Closed

Article I found of interest. The NP went through recently declassified CIA documents to look for items of interest where Canada was mentioned. Overall nothing of much excitement but a bit interesting to see what the CIA thought about Canada during the period of time the documents cover.

"1972 bulletin found it odd that the Liberals kept portraying a man in his late 40s as a “youthful but brilliant playboy.” By 1978, analysts were writing of Trudeau’s “long-standing fascination” with Cuban dictator Fidel Castro, and noting that while many Canadians “dislike and distrust” Trudeau, he still seemed to be the “most able” leader Canada could muster."

Beware of ‘Canadian sensitivity’: Declassified documents reveal what the CIA really thinks about us | National Post
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 4:15 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I made some rather nice cookies today, vanilla with cranberries and sultanas.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 4:19 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Norway can do that because they charged me sufficient for the beer I drank there to support the health service during the decades of oil production.
Someone I knew was in Norway and after drinking rotgut moonshine he vomited so much that he ruptured his oesophagus and dislodged a kidney.
You got off lightly with only damage to your wallet.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Yes please.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 5:01 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Sounded delicious until you mentioned the S word
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 7:05 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Obvious difference of preferences here.

To me:

cookie = yum
sultana = yum
vanilla = custard (ie vom)
cranberry = treatment of a girly ailment

I'll just settle for the sultana cookies..............
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Article I found of interest. The NP went through recently declassified CIA documents to look for items of interest where Canada was mentioned. Overall nothing of much excitement but a bit interesting to see what the CIA thought about Canada during the period of time the documents cover.

"1972 bulletin found it odd that the Liberals kept portraying a man in his late 40s as a “youthful but brilliant playboy.” By 1978, analysts were writing of Trudeau’s “long-standing fascination” with Cuban dictator Fidel Castro, and noting that while many Canadians “dislike and distrust” Trudeau, he still seemed to be the “most able” leader Canada could muster."

Beware of ‘Canadian sensitivity’: Declassified documents reveal what the CIA really thinks about us | National Post
Thanks for that, it was an enjoyable read .

Even in his latter years, PET was an extremely charismatic & attractive man.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 10:41 pm
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Originally Posted by Souvy
Obvious difference of preferences here.

To me:

cookie = yum
sultana = yum
vanilla = custard (ie vom)
cranberry = treatment of a girly ailment

I'll just settle for the sultana cookies..............
I'll make some different ones for you two then. Chocolate chip?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.