Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Dec 1st 2016, 12:26 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Oink
Canada has crap Christmas sandwiches.
What does xmas taste like? Is there an Easter sandwich, something with chocolate?

Originally Posted by Shirtback
...a series of "dead end", minimum wage jobs, the last of which they stuck at for want of something better & a need to pay the rent, has led to an offer of management training within the company, AND possible access to employer contributions to further education ...
I'm fortunate enough not to have been in that position - although there was a time when the medical costs were rapidly depleting my hard earned money and something different was needed - but that's exactly the sort of thing I'd be aiming for.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 1:21 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

TFC v Montreal game last night was the best game ever in MLS period. Toronto now East Champions and MLS finalists, and deserving so !!
Old Dec 1st 2016, 1:42 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
TFC v Montreal game last night was the best game ever in MLS period. Toronto now East Champions and MLS finalists, and deserving so !!
I saw the highlight reel and it looked pretty good, I sometimes watch the weekend EPL matches, etc but have shied away from MLS. Maybe now I'll have to take a look.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

I watched it and it was a real back and forth game but lets be honest it isn't Champions League/Premier League/La Liga/Bundesligia level in terms of skill.

All in all a positive impact for the game in Canada. I read somewhere that Toronto FC outdrew the Argos in terms of attendance this year. CFL tends to have a very low takeup by new Canadians and is increasingly the domain of the dreaded 'cradles'.

I must admit I was cheering for the Impact as I've been to see them about 4 times and I left Toronto before Toronto FC was formed.

The atmosphere seemed really good. Were those flares or fog from the lake that seemed to come on to the field.?

Until European or South American players go to MLS in their prime players like Giovinco (sp?) won't be capped by Italy once they head to MLS.

A lot of wayward, hail mary passes seemed to occur well before those type of passes tend to come into games in the dying minutes.

Hopefully Toronto won't get hit by a snowstorm on December 10
Old Dec 1st 2016, 4:13 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Did they paint the lines on the penalty box properly this time?

There was a howling cock-up very recently at a Toronto-Montreal game in Montreal when the ref noticed, when the stadium was already full, that the box was, er, rather too small (a few feet on either side).

People were sitting there twiddling their thumbs while staff repainted the box.

The media extracted the urine in grand fashion (Quebeckers are just as sarcastic as Brits, in case you didn't know).
Old Dec 1st 2016, 5:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Never been to Vernon but I think Chilliwack is on the bottom on good lists and on the top if the bad lists like for crime.

I wouldnt reccomend Chilliwack. City of last resort for many

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
And Chilliwack and Vernon I see are pants, down the bottom of the table
Old Dec 1st 2016, 9:37 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
No we don't, Canada has No Christmas sandwiches. Having never heard of such a thing I had to look it up, and it's some sort of British tradition. No doubt you managed to find some hip facsimile out there but that doesn't make it Canadian so no need to whine. With a little supervision you could probably make one. Now I want to make some sausage rolls and Scotch eggs to take to the bar. Good project for the weekend.

Moaning about the host country lack of authentic cultural culinary practices is one of the best things about being an immigrant. Plus, I think Tim Horton's is missing a trick here. They should bring out a Christmas flavored doughnut or a turkey and stuffing bagel.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 10:05 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Moaning about the host country lack of authentic cultural culinary practices is one of the best things about being an immigrant. Plus, I think Tim Horton's is missing a trick here. They should bring out a Christmas flavored doughnut or a turkey and stuffing bagel.
Have you tried Green Lettuce up on Kingsway? It's Indian style Chinese food, how authentic is that? Turkey sandwiches on Boxing Day is common, but only through necessity because there's too much of it. Tim Horton's still has time to crank out some BS donut with green and red sprinkles and make the bagel you ask for, but you're probably better off making your own. I can't stand the place and don't go there. If you can't wait for Christmas you don't have to wait for the turkey you're adopting to be delivered either, just make dressing and wrap it in foil and cook it in the oven. Fry some chicken or something so you can make gravy and you're in. Christmas lights remind me of the brothels down in Salina Cruz.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 10:19 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Tim Horton's still has time to crank out some BS donut with green and red sprinkles
Sobeys decorates their magnificent chocolate eclairs with a plastic holly leaf
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 12:05 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I will likely visit a Timmies at some point over the Xmas period. Not to eat though. It's a convenient wazz-stop on the way to Quebec City.
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 9:44 pm
Oscar nominated

We bought our first 'Christmas' clementines today.
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
We bought our first 'Christmas' clementines today.
They're on special here this week at Maxi, but looked really manky . I passed.

I'm trying to remember where I can buy (canned) chestnuts & possibly chestnut purée locally. I should probably mosey on over to the Christmas thread.
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 8:21 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
They're on special here this week at Maxi, but looked really manky . I passed.

I'm trying to remember where I can buy (canned) chestnuts & possibly chestnut purée locally. I should probably mosey on over to the Christmas thread.

Williams-Sonoma, I saw them there last week.
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 8:33 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

If you could go back in time, once, and change a single thing – what would it be?
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 9:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
If you could go back in time, once, and change a single thing – what would it be?
Not doing a transfer at a company in 2002 into a different department thus losing seniority, and then being laid off about a year later. Had I stayed in the department I was in, I would have survived the lay offs and mergers and possibly had a job I liked.

Downside is had the above not occurred, I would never have moved to Canada, thus never meeting my wife.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.