Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Nov 29th 2016, 6:19 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I broke a leg this morning.

I was following a suggestion from Caretaker about slow cooking a turkey leg but it was too long for the small pot I was using, so I broke it to fit.

Leeks, onion, carrots, red wine, chicken stew mix.
Barehanded?
Old Nov 29th 2016, 6:25 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Barehanded?
There wasn't enough to grip and I didn't have any spinach handy so I chopped the small end enough to break it.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 6:32 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

There wasn't enough to grip and I didn't have any spinach handy http://pixeljoint.com/files/icons/po...esailorman.gif so I chopped the small end enough to break it.
Ooh I'm so disappointed in you. Visions of your rippling biceps have gone.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 6:59 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Ooh I'm so disappointed in you. Visions of your rippling biceps have gone.
You missed them by a few years.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't break a leg this morning, but it wasn't from lack of trying .

Freezing rain.

I got stuck on the ice 1/3 way down the steps. neighbour got stuck on the ice 1/3 way up, trying to come to my aid. It was all rather ungainly & undignified...

Putting the bins out tonight is going to be fun...?

(I like the sound of that turkey recipe, btw).
Old Nov 29th 2016, 7:40 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Freezing rain.
That's a reason not to go out. There's not much I'd risk it for.
Putting the bins out tonight is going to be fun...
I complain about our garbage system but at least it's bags. I can throw them close enough to where they have to go.
(I like the sound of that turkey recipe, btw).
I only did it to see what it was like. But I just took out the leg to take the meat off the bone and remove the knitting needles and the turkey tastes fantastic.

It's so good it's going to be part of supper.

Next time bigger leg, bigger pot.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I complain about our garbage system but at least it's bags. I can throw them close enough to where they have to go.
We have to get bags to bins (which I was originally trying to do this am when I discovered steps were impassable). Then move bins to street-side for garbage collection. This will be "amusing"...
Old Nov 30th 2016, 1:26 pm
Oscar nominated

We have knobs at the halfway point and corners of the deck rail. Like the top part of Chess Pawns.

When it snows, the way the snow sits on top and "makes shoulders" around the neck always reminds me of Queen Victoria.

Today one of them makes me think of Louis XIV (except white hair/wig obviously). Or is it Brian May?
Old Nov 30th 2016, 10:03 pm
limey party pooper

I came hone and found a soggy envelope on the outside doormat. We had forgotten to pay the water bill and thus letter was a "pay up within 48 hours or we cut you off " notice. Good job it hadn't been windy.

I had polite words with the township office
Old Dec 1st 2016, 1:44 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

People moan about Kelowna being totally crap for jobs ... maybe not - sadly availabilty of these "amazing jobs" still isn't that easy

Need a job? Here are the best cities to work in B.C. in 2017 | Globalnews.ca

Squamish is even better JS- you could be our ping ponger!

Last edited by Stinkypup; Dec 1st 2016 at 1:47 am.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 1:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Squamish has jobs. Problem is they tend to be mostly low paying jobs. Sky high rents as well.

Income average is skewed a bit there due to the high income professionals who commute to Vancouver. If working in town, good chance it's not well paying.

Kelowna from my looking online seems to have jobs, but they don't seem well paying either and rents high and the jobs don't all se that well paid.

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
People moan about Kelowna being totally crap for jobs ... maybe not - sadly availabilty of these "amazing jobs" still isn't that easy

Need a job? Here are the best cities to work in B.C. in 2017 | Globalnews.ca
Old Dec 1st 2016, 2:00 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Squamish has jobs. Problem is they tend to be mostly low paying jobs. Sky high rents as well.

Income average is skewed a bit there due to the high income professionals who commute to Vancouver. If working in town, good chance it's not well paying.

Kelowna from my looking online seems to have jobs, but they don't seem well paying either and rents high and the jobs don't all se that well paid.
And Chilliwack and Vernon I see are pants, down the bottom of the table
Old Dec 1st 2016, 7:02 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Canada has crap Christmas sandwiches.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Rather chuffed for one of my offspring who has had a shaky start in the world of work (for various reasons): a series of "dead end", minimum wage jobs, the last of which they stuck at for want of something better & a need to pay the rent, has led to an offer of management training within the company, AND possible access to employer contributions to further education

(Holy run-on sentence Batman! )
Old Dec 1st 2016, 10:56 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Canada has crap Christmas sandwiches.
No we don't, Canada has No Christmas sandwiches. Having never heard of such a thing I had to look it up, and it's some sort of British tradition. No doubt you managed to find some hip facsimile out there but that doesn't make it Canadian so no need to whine. With a little supervision you could probably make one. Now I want to make some sausage rolls and Scotch eggs to take to the bar. Good project for the weekend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.