Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Feb 12th 2018, 9:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by magnumpi
I clear mine every pay day. Twice a month.
That is what I do if I have used the card, I try not to use it, but sometimes things come up between pay days and gotta put it on the card.
Old Feb 12th 2018, 9:58 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get today off so I didn't get to go fishing, crabbing and drinking unlike the rest of the snivelling malcontents.
Old Feb 12th 2018, 9:59 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I pay by the due date but it's not about making money, just delaying the bill payment by a few days so that I can clear a higher than usual credit card bill in full.

If I paid the water bill now and it gets included on the statement I'd get charged the interest on the full amount unless I cleared it immediately.
That would cost me at least $30.

Or I can wait a couple of days, clear the balance in full and then clear next month's in full as usual. No late payments and no needless $30 in interest.

It's no more effort, the emails alert me to the statement being ready.
But as AC said, there is not going to be any substantive 'saving' by charging the water bill and then paying it off immediately. Assuming you're paying from cash.
Old Feb 12th 2018, 10:03 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Just made a small purchase, then I carefully placed the receipt in my wallet and crumpled up and threw a 5 Euro note into the bin.
Rockefeller
Old Feb 12th 2018, 10:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Saving $30 by doing no more than paying the water bill a couple of days later, not worth the effort.

Lawyer's pay must be a lot more than I thought
I would never get to the stage where the interest free period was close to expiring. I was referring to the interest earned on the savings by having an interest free period.
Old Feb 12th 2018, 10:37 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
But as AC said, there is not going to be any substantive 'saving' by charging the water bill and then paying it off immediately.
Perhaps I'm not explaining myself well. If I put the water bill on the credit card now and then the statement is produced after, I have to pay the current credit card amount outstanding plus the water bill which will be added. If I don't pay all of it then the interest becomes due, backdated, on the whole amount until the payment is credited and that would be about $30.

If I wait for the statement to be made up, I then pay it in full - having budgeted/juggled for the expensive dental treatment. Then I put the water bill on the now cleared CC and it's easy to pay next month with no interest charged on any balance and no interest lost from transferring money from a savings account.

Is avoiding $30 interest charged by the CC not a substantive saving for merely paying a water bill on, say, the 15th instead of the 13th?

The other choice would be to transfer money from a savings account. That would only involve a small loss of interest but why even do that when paying the water bill on a different day but still in good time involves nothing additional at all? (apart from writing about it on BE )
Old Feb 13th 2018, 12:25 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I would never get to the stage where the interest free period was close to expiring. I was referring to the interest earned on the savings by having an interest free period.
When the statement is done, you get 21 days or whatever to pay in full or start incurring interest. I wouldn't consider 21 days time as close to expiring, given you've only just received formal notice of it.

Close to expiring would be getting close to that 21 day point but that's the complete opposite of my issue because I want the statement so I can pay it straight-away.
But I know what you mean, as you're clearing it as you go.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 6:31 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Rockefeller
I was really annoyed, especially as the bin was a large, stinky one that I couldn't reach into to get it back. Plus it was at the busy main railway station so I didn't want to be a very public bin-raker.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 9:04 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
That is what I do if I have used the card, I try not to use it, but sometimes things come up between pay days and gotta put it on the card.
I use mine whenever possible, TD pay me to use it and it just paid for 50% of my flights to U.K.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 2:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
If I pay for something using a credit card today, I will pay the card off as soon as I get home so I never have to worry about late payments or interest.
My credit card is paid in full automatically from my bank account each month. I’ve done this for decades and have never paid a penny interest.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 4:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

If my card gave rewards I would do the same..

Originally Posted by magnumpi
I use mine whenever possible, TD pay me to use it and it just paid for 50% of my flights to U.K.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 5:39 pm
Account Closed

I wish CRA would open netfile earlier. Feb 26th apparently, but I want to file now....
Old Feb 13th 2018, 5:42 pm
Oscar nominated

I wish CRA would open netfile earlier. Feb 26th apparently, but I want to file now....
I've got three waiting.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 5:54 pm
Account Closed

I've got three waiting.
You would think CRA could have it open by now... IRS in the US has had theirs open since Jan 29th.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 6:06 pm
Oscar nominated

You would think CRA could have it open by now... IRS in the US has had theirs open since Jan 29th.
Canada Post probably has them delay it so they can get the mailing costs for those posting them.

I get a reduction in property tax based on the return but because of this delay it's never done in time for the new property tax bill and I end up paying the full amount, getting a credit and revision about six months later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.