Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Jan 12th 2018, 5:28 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Yes, sounds like it's a difficult one. I found a print version of the story if you are interested.

Personality disorder patients 'let down' by system - BBC News
Old Jan 12th 2018, 5:41 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Yesterday I ordered a new bedside clock/radio.

Can someone explain why it comes with a remote control? It's a bedside radio that I want to operate from my bed just to the side. Within arm's reach.

Why would I operate it remotely?
Where would you keep it? When asleep?
Old Jan 12th 2018, 6:01 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Yesterday I ordered a new bedside clock/radio.

Can someone explain why it comes with a remote control? It's a bedside radio that I want to operate from my bed just to the side. Within arm's reach.

Why would I operate it remotely?
King size or twin beds? Or just to annoy visitors who you'd prefer leave and stop drinking your beer.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 7:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Where would you keep it? When asleep?
That's a very good question. It makes it sound even more daft now.

PJ jacket pocket...and have the radio go on and off every time you move and cancel the alarm too.

That is if one wears PJs.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

PJ jacket pocket...and have the radio go on and off every time you move and cancel the alarm too.

Where do you put it if you sleep in the nuddy?
Old Jan 12th 2018, 8:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Yes, sounds like it's a difficult one. I found a print version of the story if you are interested.

Personality disorder patients 'let down' by system - BBC News
Good article.

This sums things up pretty well in regards to finding help.
"There are numerous stories of people with a PD diagnosis being excluded from services, seen as a difficult person rather than someone in desperate need of help. "

Back in 2012 when I was hospitalized for 6 weeks, I spent 2 hours a day in the hospital library trying to find help, contacting low cost/sliding scale counseling places and each and everyone of them said treating personality disorders was not in their mandate and they couldn't help.

Seems the issue is widespread across most countries. CTV in Canada a couple of years ago had a story on W5 I think it was about youth and personality issues, and lack of services, the parents who could afford to sent their kids to the US for treatment at a high cost.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

When I worked in NS I went with a youth to see a psychiatrist. She was allocated 10 minutes and all the doctor was interested in was prescribing drugs. It's sad...

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Good article.

This sums things up pretty well in regards to finding help.
"There are numerous stories of people with a PD diagnosis being excluded from services, seen as a difficult person rather than someone in desperate need of help. "

Back in 2012 when I was hospitalized for 6 weeks, I spent 2 hours a day in the hospital library trying to find help, contacting low cost/sliding scale counseling places and each and everyone of them said treating personality disorders was not in their mandate and they couldn't help.

Seems the issue is widespread across most countries. CTV in Canada a couple of years ago had a story on W5 I think it was about youth and personality issues, and lack of services, the parents who could afford to sent their kids to the US for treatment at a high cost.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 10:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
When I worked in NS I went with a youth to see a psychiatrist. She was allocated 10 minutes and all the doctor was interested in was prescribing drugs. It's sad...
That is typically the norm in BC from my experience as well, 10 min average appointment and push the pills.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 10:30 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Where do you put it if you sleep in the nuddy?
In a remote place I guess.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 10:59 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it's for people who sleep in the middle of huge beds and so can't reach the alarm? Does the remote show the time? That would be handy as I can't see the clock without my specs.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 11:23 pm
Account Closed

I am going to visit family in a week, and was going to drive both ways, but found good deals on both airfare and a one way car rental, so will fly to Palm Springs and drive home for about the same cost as driving round trip.

Total price paid $151.73

Actual airfare that Air Canada gets $69.00

The other $82.73 is taxes, gov't fees and airport fees and $43.57 is US gov't fees and taxes.

Goods and Services Tax - 5.06
U.S. Immigration User Fee 8.74
Agriculture Fee - United States 4.94
U.S. Federal Customs Fee 7.05
Air Travellers Security Charge 12.10
Airport Improvement Fee - Canada 20.00
Transportation Tax - U.S. 22.84

Insanity when taxes and gov't & airport fees are a larger chunk of cost of flying and the airfare itself is pretty reasonable and downright cheap.

I was surprised to find such low fares 9 days out, Westjet matched Air Canada but Air Canada is using a wide body, even though it's Rouge and not mainline Air Canada.

Plus a 767 I haven't flown in 10-12 years, where 737's are common and flown on dozens if not hundreds of times.

US airlines were charging mostly the same, but I didn't want to take a regional jet and make a connection.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 11:47 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

How much for the car rental? I thought that's hugely expensive even if out of province?
Old Jan 13th 2018, 1:11 am
Oscar nominated

...Does the remote show the time? That would be handy as I can't see the clock without my specs.
Not judging by the picture. Of course you can get those clocks that throw the time on the wall or ceiling.

Imagine waking up in the night and seeing that. One might think it was a count down to something
Old Jan 13th 2018, 1:58 am
Account Closed

$140 for 2 days.

Rental is San Diego to Seattle. Leave on Sat morning and should arrive in Seattle Sunday night.

Car due back Monday afternoon.

Originally Posted by Shard
How much for the car rental? I thought that's hugely expensive even if out of province?
Old Jan 13th 2018, 2:22 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it's for people who sleep in the middle of huge beds and so can't reach the alarm? Does the remote show the time? That would be handy as I can't see the clock without my specs.
I've got one of these - it's the only thing that can wake me up! The good thing is you an decide on the level of illumination (for the clock face) and so can see the hands even without glasses. From the hearing point of view, I like that you can change the tone, volume and pitch.. it also has flashing lights, lol. (Overkill much?).

https://www.harriscomm.com/sonic-ale...arm-clock.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.