Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Dec 21st 2017, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by dbd33
I successfully boarded the bus to NYC. The trip involved a stop with a wait for a couple of hours at the Buffalo bus station in the middle of the night. I didn't like that. On other occasion I boarded the bus to Ottawa, that entailed a stop and much hanging about in GodKnowsWhereOntario, a featureless snowy place. I like that even less than Buffalo. In both cases there were people on the bus actively engaged in the consumption of illegal substances and other people engaged in acts one would hesitate to ask of a professional (at least, on a bus). On the bright side, on neither journey was I decapitated.

I hope you're able to elbow your way on to the bus and that you enjoy your trip.
Thankfully I am collecting, rather than travelling. I am pretty sure those sort of activities are a regular feature of uni life, I just hadn't considered that having finally decided to grace us with his presence he might be too busy texting to barge his way onto a bus.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
On both occasions there was actually no problem at all and I believe they just added a bus for the overflow.
Let's hope so. His plan to experience the bright lights of Hamilton for NYE might provide some elbowing incentive though.

Last edited by Teaandtoday5; Dec 21st 2017 at 2:00 pm.
Old Dec 21st 2017, 12:50 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
That area is famed in film and song, so no wonder. Washboard Hank's ditty Marmora Pig and the classic NFB film Best Damned Fiddler From Kalabogie to Kaladar guarantee it's place in history.
Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Wasn't aware of those links. I think it is Calabogie. The area between Calabogie to Kaladar is pretty sparsely populated.

The Log Cabin restaurant is a place where the Toronto to Ottawa bus stops for a break and I think the Peterborough to Ottawa bus stops there as well..so transfers are possible there.

For years and years the sign inside the 'restaurant' has had warning signs not to drink the water in the washroom as it isn't potable....conveniently bottled water is for sale.
It's in Actinolite near Tweed. Many of the places along highway 7 are named after stuff they mine or used to mine there. There are ghost towns, abandoned gas stations, motels. Many lost trade after the 401 was opened as a route east but as highway 7 gets upgraded perhaps it will come back to life. It's a nice drive to Ottawa, pretty.

There's a TV doc called, I think, The Forgotten Highway which is online sonewhere.
Old Dec 21st 2017, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
It's in Actinolite near Tweed. Many of the places along highway 7 are named after stuff they mine or used to mine there. There are ghost towns, abandoned gas stations, motels. Many lost trade after the 401 was opened as a route east but as highway 7 gets upgraded perhaps it will come back to life. It's a nice drive to Ottawa, pretty.

There's a TV doc called, I think, The Forgotten Highway which is online sonewhere.
I've seen that documentary I think. It is about a family who ran an independent gas station somewhere near highway 7 that hit hard times.

Years ago somewhere between Peterborough and Kaladar on the south side there was a motel with an indian restaurant. The next time I drove by it was closed.

Near Actinolite I've been to a restaurant on the north south road with huge portions called Kelly's. Is that still going?
Old Dec 21st 2017, 1:22 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Wasn't aware of those links. I think it is Calabogie.
Thanks, I stand both corrected and edited.
Old Dec 21st 2017, 1:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
Thankfully I am collecting, rather than travelling. I am pretty sure these sort of activities are a regular feature of uni life, I just hadn't considered that having finally decided to grace us with his presence he might be too busy texting to barge his way onto a bus.
In that case, be glad the bus is being used. One of my got around by thumb throughout university and between universities. All around the US and Canada. "Where are you?" "I'm crashing in a box car in New Mexico" "Some guy is driving me around Cape Breton" "I've moved to Alaska, can you get me a visa?".

When one has gone to the trouble to beget a person one might hope that person would show a little regard for personal safety so as to save her father from having to go through all that unpleasantness again.
Old Dec 21st 2017, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
In that case, be glad the bus is being used. One of my got around by thumb throughout university and between universities. All around the US and Canada. "Where are you?" "I'm crashing in a box car in New Mexico" "Some guy is driving me around Cape Breton" "I've moved to Alaska, can you get me a visa?".

When one has gone to the trouble to beget a person one might hope that person would show a little regard for personal safety so as to save her father from having to go through all that unpleasantness again.
At his age i had to hide a couple of times from hitchhiking lift-givers who anticipated a little more gratitude than I was actually feeling, but never actually endured anything worse than a badly blistered face from falling asleep in the back of a pick-up on a sunny journey. At least sunburn is unlikely to be an issue this week.

My condolences on the stress and strain of all the begetting you have had to endure though.
Old Dec 21st 2017, 7:32 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen that documentary I think. It is about a family who ran an independent gas station somewhere near highway 7 that hit hard times.

Years ago somewhere between Peterborough and Kaladar on the south side there was a motel with an indian restaurant. The next time I drove by it was closed.

Near Actinolite I've been to a restaurant on the north south road with huge portions called Kelly's. Is that still going?
Found it. it's called The Lost Highway The Lost Highway Documentary

That Indian Restaurant is closed I think but it's hard to tell as it was such a dump before. I had tasted food from there and it was ok ish so we drove out to get take out but didn't stay as it was so disgusting. It's near Marmora.

I hadn't heard of Kelly's but it's on Google Maps so is probably still going.
Old Dec 21st 2017, 7:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Going to drive to California next month to see family. First time driving all the way down.

First night will stay in a town called Weed in Northern California.

The name amuses me for some reason.
Old Dec 21st 2017, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Going to drive to California next month to see family. First time driving all the way down.

If you have the time the Oregon Coast is beautiful. If you need to replenish your hippy stock in tie dye fashions and other Woodstock like stuff, Eugene, Oregon is the place to go.

That is a long drive from Vancouver? to Weed. Hope your car has cruise control.
Old Dec 21st 2017, 11:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Google puts it at 11.5 hours so with gas and rest stops, I figure 13 or so hours.

I don't have a lot of time so need to do as much driving per day as I can so more days in So. Cal.

We would fly but the dog has to come with us and I have an aquarium to bring back from my mom's place.

If you have the time the Oregon Coast is beautiful. If you need to replenish your hippy stock in tie dye fashions and other Woodstock like stuff, Eugene, Oregon is the place to go.

That is a long drive from Vancouver? to Weed. Hope your car has cruise control.
Old Dec 21st 2017, 11:09 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Stay safe with all that driving lovely fella.
Old Dec 22nd 2017, 12:10 am
Account Closed

We will. My other half is going as well so we will take turns driving.

Just have to order some tire chains to have in the car, Calif, Oregon have some mountain passes where chains might be required.

I have never driven down before and never seen the northern part of California so will be fun.

Originally Posted by BEVS
Stay safe with all that driving lovely fella.
Old Dec 22nd 2017, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

We will. My other half is going as well so we will take turns driving.

Just have to order some tire chains to have in the car, Calif, Oregon have some mountain passes where chains might be required.

I have never driven down before and never seen the northern part of California so will be fun.
This time last year we were in Nice, France and we headed to a ski resort at 1700 metres above sea level in the French Alps in a rental car. The drive was beautiful but my cousin told me I'd need snow chains in the rental car in case there was heavy snow near the resort and the police would be there and would pull people over to make sure they had chains on.

Predictably there was no snow at all on the drive and actually the snow line was at basically 1700 metres so we never got the chains out of the trunk.

The people in the car rental place and my cousins were so surprised when I said I had never used chains in my life (only lived in Ontario in Canada) and I used special snow tyres instead.

Believe it or not there are videos online on how to put chains on...believe me I watched them but never needed to use the knowledge...

I wasn't aware that any mountain passes in Oregon or California required chains..I would have thought on the interstate the elevation is too low.

When we were in southern Oregon in 2008 we stayed here for two nights:. Quite expensive but lots of fun and a unique experience that our kids still talk about.

Root Costs (Accommodations)
Old Dec 22nd 2017, 2:45 am
Account Closed

Siskiyou Summit in Oregon on I-5 can have chains required periods where winter tires alone are not sufficient.

The summit is 1,310 meters.

Can't predict the weather and my luck I would not have chains and they decide chains are required. So best to have them and not need them vs need them and not have.

Its the highest pass in I-5 but the lower passes in California can have chains required periods as well.
Old Dec 22nd 2017, 6:20 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I'm used to cats liking boxes and bags but ours likes pens as well. His favourite 'toy' it seems.
Clutches it with his front paws while pushing away with the back ones.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.