Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Dec 13th 2017, 12:12 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by BristolUK
This is a good time to have two credit cards.
It would have been a great time to have a CAA+ card, might have paid for itself a couple of times over.
Old Dec 13th 2017, 12:16 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Sculpture...can you sit in them? Could be a tourist attraction for contrived photos

I had already done those streets on the way to the lake. I thought they were better than the roads that partiallydischarged posts with fastfood joints and big pet shops and clinics and things.
Yep you can sit in them. People do and they take photos.

That sounds like Lansdown, which us indeed a very ugly potholed street of strip malls, big box stores and fast food.

George and Charlotte are the old part of the city. Some good individual stores but with very badly maintained buildings, dirty sidewalks, junkies and beggars.

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Hey I take offense to my name being taken in vain. I show the true Canadiana not some hipster infused faux Canada.

A Peterborough landmark although I'm hearing it may be closed permanently.
https://goo.gl/maps/AzpKDh6dP5m

Not the kind of place to ask for a drink with a piece of fruit in it.

I do recall a night in Peterborough where we started at the Pig's Ear, then the Red Dog Tavern and then the Montreal House and it was non descript draft swill all night. My head was pounding in the morning.

Left Toronto in the afternoon by car with no snow on the ground, got to Peterborough and there was tons of snow and snowmobiles on some of the main streets and the Pigs Ear seemed to be full of couples in matching snowmobile suits.
Yep it's closed with much weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth.

I've never seen snowmobiles in town, there must be a bylaw against it now. Maybe on the trails.
Old Dec 13th 2017, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Yep you can sit in them. People do and they take photos.

That sounds like Lansdown, which us indeed a very ugly potholed street of strip malls, big box stores and fast food.

George and Charlotte are the old part of the city. Some good individual stores but with very badly maintained buildings, dirty sidewalks, junkies and beggars.

Yep it's closed with much weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth.

I've never seen snowmobiles in town, there must be a bylaw against it now. Maybe on the trails.
The snowmobile sighting was in about 1987 and I'd been in Canada 6 years but having being sheltered from such things in built up Toronto it was quite the vision to see snowmobiles flying down the streets near the Pigs Ear. Please don't tell me the Pigs Ear has become a Starbucks.

Last edited by Partially discharged; Dec 13th 2017 at 12:26 pm.
Old Dec 13th 2017, 1:19 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

The snowmobile sighting was in about 1987 and I'd been in Canada 6 years but having being sheltered from such things in built up Toronto it was quite the vision to see snowmobiles flying down the streets near the Pigs Ear. Please don't tell me the Pigs Ear has become a Starbucks.
nothing yet. It's been bought by condo/home developers. It might get knocked down but there's talk if it being a national treasure.
Old Dec 13th 2017, 2:48 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

The passage of the first snowmobile down our street is a sign that winter has arrived We don't get a lot, but after a big snowfall there are always some neighbours accessing the trails via the street. Same thing happens with ATV/UTV's. In that case, I'm an offender.
Old Dec 13th 2017, 4:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
You can buy sports-bike tires for $150 - that's way too much for a scooter tire. Look to pay $50 (or less if you want a cheaper brand): https://fortnine.ca/en/shinko-sr714-...hoCR6wQAvD_BwE
https://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tub...tires/t113em25

Removing an exhaust and rear wheel is a basic DIY job - see if you can find a friend that's handy with a wrench to help.
These are the 2 that come back as fitting a 2005 Scarabeo

https://fortnine.ca/en/shinko-sr714-scooter-tire

https://fortnine.ca/en/pirelli-mandr...oped-rear-tire

Is one better then the other you think or either would be fine?
Old Dec 13th 2017, 4:32 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
These are the 2 that come back as fitting a 2005 Scarabeo

https://fortnine.ca/en/shinko-sr714-scooter-tire

https://fortnine.ca/en/pirelli-mandr...oped-rear-tire

Is one better then the other you think or either would be fine?
The Pirelli is a better quality of tire, and the one I'd buy. Likely to be a stronger construction and give you better mileage. Don't forget that you should take your first few commutes carefully, until the release agent on the tire has been scrubbed off.

I've used Fort Nine to order parts and tires before and had great service.
Old Dec 13th 2017, 5:52 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
The Pirelli is a better quality of tire, and the one I'd buy. Likely to be a stronger construction and give you better mileage. Don't forget that you should take your first few commutes carefully, until the release agent on the tire has been scrubbed off.
Old Dec 14th 2017, 12:59 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I watched three xmas episodes of MASH tonight. Dear Dad, Dear Sis and Death Takes A Holiday.

Splendid stuff. I'd completely forgotten about the tannoy announcements.
"The following men have volunteered for this afternoon's ten mile physical fitness hike." Hawkeye pauses to listen. Silence.

They're on dailymotion. Ignore that the titles/credits/signs and clock are backwards, everything else is perfect...especially the absence of laughter track.
Old Dec 14th 2017, 1:32 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I feel like I just went back in time.

My stepdaughter went to bed early because she has to be up early for work. About half an hour later my stepson - who keeps very strange hours - got up - but I was hearing them talking upstairs.

Half an hour later they were still talking and I went to the foot of the stairs. "This reminds me of a view years ago" I say.

"What does?" they respond.

"Me calling up the stairs because you're talking when you should be sleeping."
Old Dec 14th 2017, 4:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

50 years ago it snowed in San Diego.

For the record it snows in San Diego mountains almost every year but 50 years ago it snowed on the coast in the city which is unusual.

The day it snowed in San Diego | The San Diego Union-Tribune
Old Dec 14th 2017, 4:48 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that this might slot into this thread rather than start a new one as an example of unacceptable bank behaviour.

UPS loses family's $846,000 inheritance - Toronto - CBC News

On the face of it TD has a point. It has sold a product and that's the end of the matter. The draft is considered 'cash' and there's no way the bank can stop it being used as such.

But it owns up to having procedures in place to replace lost bank drafts.

Presumably technology exists that would enable the bank to check a bank draft, at the point of cashing, against a central database to ensure that it's not a forgery etc. Application of technology in this instance is quite simple and I don't understand the bank's reluctance, especially after a lapse of ten months... unless this is inconvenient, not trained up for or simply such technology doesn't exist.

The problem the bank has is that a bank draft may have been used as collateral to acquire funds from an innocent third party, but if the draft is cancelled and the draft no longer has any monetary value and the draft is being used by those who have questionable ownership should it be honoured by the bank, I think not.

Since bank drafts are considered 'cash', I assume they can be presented anywhere, to another bank for example who may not be able to check validity, but in this case I would assume that the one bank would contact the other as a matter of course.

But what is a bank for? It exists to maximise profits for it's shareholders and hanging onto you cash for as long as possible does this very nicely, especially if you can squeeze a few GIC's out of the customer as well as having them offer to stand any losses on whatever arrangement can be thought up.

Technology should be able to rationalise this problem or is it, or lack of it, simply being used by a bloody minded bank to boost it's profits?
Old Dec 14th 2017, 6:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
I thought that this might slot into this thread rather than start a new one as an example of unacceptable bank behaviour.

UPS loses family's $846,000 inheritance - Toronto - CBC News

On the face of it TD has a point. It has sold a product and that's the end of the matter. The draft is considered 'cash' and there's no way the bank can stop it being used as such.

But it owns up to having procedures in place to replace lost bank drafts.

Presumably technology exists that would enable the bank to check a bank draft, at the point of cashing, against a central database to ensure that it's not a forgery etc. Application of technology in this instance is quite simple and I don't understand the bank's reluctance, especially after a lapse of ten months... unless this is inconvenient, not trained up for or simply such technology doesn't exist.

The problem the bank has is that a bank draft may have been used as collateral to acquire funds from an innocent third party, but if the draft is cancelled and the draft no longer has any monetary value and the draft is being used by those who have questionable ownership should it be honoured by the bank, I think not.

Since bank drafts are considered 'cash', I assume they can be presented anywhere, to another bank for example who may not be able to check validity, but in this case I would assume that the one bank would contact the other as a matter of course.

But what is a bank for? It exists to maximise profits for it's shareholders and hanging onto you cash for as long as possible does this very nicely, especially if you can squeeze a few GIC's out of the customer as well as having them offer to stand any losses on whatever arrangement can be thought up.

Technology should be able to rationalise this problem or is it, or lack of it, simply being used by a bloody minded bank to boost it's profits?
Would you issue cash to someone to replace cash that you have already given to them?

I see TD's issue here, without the guarantees they have requested, they could have to pay out the money twice. That is the whole point of bank drafts - they are as good as cash and they can only be cancelled if the draft is returned to them.
Old Dec 14th 2017, 7:59 pm
Oscar nominated

I've been googling to see the difference between draft and certified expecting to find, easily, that it's because certified has a limit and that's what makes the draft version, according to the bank, more appropriate.

But I can't find it. Is that because there is no limit for either?

I did see something about the fees being lower for a draft as if there's a greater risk in a case like this. But that doesn't seem right.

I see from an electronic transfer over $10k that it has to go through FINTRACK which is presumably money laundering or other illegal aspect related.

Why cannot a draft/certified cheque be subject to the same conditions?
Old Dec 14th 2017, 8:00 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

The difference between writing and drinking: In drinking, the last draft is the rough one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.