Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Oct 4th 2017, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Oink
That's not how you do it. Put week's worth of work shirts into bag. Go to dry cleaners, give bag to dry cleaners, tell they you want them laundered and then decide if you want starch or no starch and then if you want them on hangers or boxed. Pay for shirts, pick them up after 5:30pm on way home from work.

ps, remember to take stays out of collar.
You've never struck me as a collar stays kind of man. Whatever next? Cuff links?
Old Oct 4th 2017, 8:48 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Based on a recent teenage instruction session/screaming argument...

Ironing sequence of a shirt:

Collar
Yoke
Arms
Cuffs
Back
Front left
Front right
Who's idea is this ??!

I've certainly ironed my fair share of shirts, but never really had a set order!
Old Oct 4th 2017, 9:58 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Who's idea is this ??!

I've certainly ironed my fair share of shirts, but never really had a set order!
It's the way professional ironers and housekeepers are/were taught in the days when you had servants to do such mundane tasks
Old Oct 4th 2017, 10:22 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Who's idea is this ??!

How can you iron a shirt randomly?!

Just noticed that I said "arms" when I obviously meant sleeves...
Old Oct 4th 2017, 11:02 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I asked my mother in law and she says she does right front, then left front, then back.

"So you do one side, then pull it all the way over to the other <demonstrating> and then back the way you came to do the back?" Yes, she said.

So this is a bit similar to Back, Front left, Front right in that you have a part of the shirt over the ironing board twice but only iron that bit once.

Why not just start either front left or right, slide it over a bit for the back and then further to do the rest; all in one direction.

Next week, how to iron socks; right or left foot first.
Old Oct 4th 2017, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I asked my mother in law and she says she does right front, then left front, then back.

"So you do one side, then pull it all the way over to the other <demonstrating> and then back the way you came to do the back?" Yes, she said.

So this is a bit similar to Back, Front left, Front right in that you have a part of the shirt over the ironing board twice but only iron that bit once.

Why not just start either front left or right, slide it over a bit for the back and then further to do the rest; all in one direction.

Next week, how to iron socks; right or left foot first.
I do that Bristol. Collar, left front, back , right front then sleeves... I think if I was right handed I'd do the right front first
Old Oct 4th 2017, 11:47 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Just noticed that I said "arms" when I obviously meant sleeves...
Just go with the flow...mix it up. Sometimes start with sleeves, sometimes with collar, sometimes with front or back. As long as the whole shirt is done, no problem! I think this may already have been communicated to you be someone!
Old Oct 4th 2017, 12:06 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Just go with the flow...mix it up. Sometimes start with sleeves, sometimes with collar, sometimes with front or back. As long as the whole shirt is done, no problem! I think this may already have been communicated to you be someone!

Oink
Attached Thumbnails Random stuff - the anything else thread-2013-01-17-ironing.png  
Old Oct 4th 2017, 1:25 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
It's the way professional ironers and housekeepers are/were taught in the days when you had servants to do such mundane tasks
I suppose I learned in the reserves and probably had a little coaching from my mother, in more or less the original order, sometimes using the sprinkler head on a beer bottle of water to lightly dampen the cloth in lieu of steam. I also knew how to press the woolen battledress uniform using a damp tea-towel so the sharp creases in the trousers would hang straight with the aid of a ring of linked 9mm bullets in each cuff. Without doing the work it looked like a green bag.
Old Oct 4th 2017, 2:04 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Yoke, Collar, 1 side back, 1 side front, other side back other side front, sleeves.

A consequence of working at home a lot more these days is less need to wear shirts and do ironing. (I'm the only ironer in this house). Thats a good thing :-)
Old Oct 4th 2017, 2:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

OK I will bite..

Collar
Yoke
Cuffs
Sleeves
Right front
Back
Left front
Old Oct 4th 2017, 8:02 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
You've never struck me as a collar stays kind of man. Whatever next? Cuff links?
You need to take them out or they leave a mark in the collar when they get pressed. I have a little pot of them. You just have to trim them with nail clippers.

Never wear cuff links, I think they look tacky, the exception being when wearing black or white tie.
Old Oct 4th 2017, 9:32 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Who's idea is this ??!

Anarchist.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
You need dto take them out or they leave a mark in the collar when they get pressed. I have a little pot of them. You just have to trim them with nail clippers.

Never wear cuff links, I think they look tacky, the exception being when wearing black or white tie.
I love cuff-links, esp with a double cuff. Took OH nearly two years to give up on ties. A sad day. Engineering is apparently more casual in Canada. These are the sacrifices we make to Mammon.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
I love cuff-links, esp with a double cuff. Took OH nearly two years to give up on ties. A sad day. Engineering is apparently more casual in Canada. These are the sacrifices we make to Mammon.
I think generally the workplace is more casual in Canada.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.