Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Mar 2nd 2017, 4:10 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by bats
St Lawrence Market and area. There's a nice enough Indian place right by there for grub and a Balzac's coffee. I think they are in church street.
That was my first thought but it's closed on Mondays.

Kensington Market/Distillary... thoughts?
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 3:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
That was my first thought but it's closed on Mondays.

Kensington Market/Distillary... thoughts?
The Distillery tries a bit hard but is pleasant enough. Kensington Market could be combined with a wander along Spadina which offers a shopping experience not easily replicated.

Alternatively, you could take the Queen car to, say, Scarborough Road, and wander back. It's a block south down any street to the Boardwalk which, in March, will be cobweb clearing. There are lots of antiquey shops on Queen.

I think I'd go to the necropolis and the Riverdale zoo but the area's more about lovely houses than lovely shops.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 3:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Then again, it's a good aquarium and that's near Queen's Quay and that has shops and food and whatnot and is all flat.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 3:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Dinner at the 360 restaurant at the CN Tower. Choose the fixed menu...entrance to the tower is included in the price making it a good deal. Go about 1 hr before it gets dark and see the city in daylight and darkness.

If you are near Queens Quay...give me a shout. If I'm around we could grab a quick coffee.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 2nd 2017 at 4:00 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 9:55 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Just got back from the UK today and used the Canadian Citizen/US Citizen an PR line for first time. Had to ask the other half how you worked the machines but so easy though.

I actually felt like I was coming back to home because after visiting London on our trip where it was crowded and people were so rude (including the people working in the London Underground) it was nice to get a friendly skytrain attendant when we asked a question about paying surcharge for airport.

The only thing I wasn't happy about was coming back to a city bi-law warning ticket on my car because apparently they needed cars moved for street cleaning on 28 feb and didn't put the signs up until the day before. Apparently it's still my problem as it's up to me to move the car or get someone else to do it. My argument is give everyone at least a weeks notice then. Thank god I didn't have to pay anything and it was just a warning.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 11:10 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
The only thing I wasn't happy about was coming back to a city bi-law warning ticket on my car because apparently they needed cars moved for street cleaning on 28 feb and didn't put the signs up until the day before. Apparently it's still my problem as it's up to me to move the car or get someone else to do it. My argument is give everyone at least a weeks notice then. Thank god I didn't have to pay anything and it was just a warning.
Putting the signs up day before is harsh, here they usually give us 3 days and when they tow your car , instead of taking it to the pound like they used to, they just haul it around the corner to an adjacent street. . Next time you'll know to check the schedule on-line. I thought to myself, "How can Regina have something and Vancouver not?"
Street Sweeping | City of Vancouver Washington
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 11:51 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Just got back from the UK today and used the Canadian Citizen/US Citizen an PR line for first time. Had to ask the other half how you worked the machines but so easy though.
Machines? Tell more.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 1:28 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Next time you'll know to check the schedule on-line.
Thats the annoying thing. I asked the women I was on the phone to if they put the schedules up in advanced and she said they didn't - so stupid because they must know well in advanced of a day when they need to clean the roads.

I don't have to worry about it until next year now anyway but I gave them that 'constructive feedback' for the city idiots not to use!
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 1:30 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Machines? Tell more.
They scan your PR card/CAN passport and your customs form.

When I scanned my PR card it had my full name come up and everything.

I didn't get a 'welcome home' though
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 1:31 pm
Bex in the city

"How can Regina have something and Vancouver not?"
Street Sweeping | City of Vancouver Washington
Wrong Vancouver...
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 1:44 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

They scan your PR card/CAN passport and your customs form...
While you're in line or at some other point?
Just got back from the UK today and used the Canadian Citizen/US Citizen an PR line for first time. .
I remember someone else mentioning this, also for Vancouver and it's still a puzzle for me.

I don't know if it's 'new' or because it's Vancouver or what. But I arrived at Montreal with only visitor status 6 times in 2003-04 and it was one long line for everyone. Donald Sutherland was just in front of me in the line.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 2:09 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Wrong Vancouver...
Oops It's an alternative Vancouver.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 2:12 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Fake Vancouver
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 3:51 pm
Bex in the city

It's a 'cheaper to buy property' Vancouver lol

You can buy something in this downtown Vancouver!
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 3:55 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by BristolUK
While you're in line or at some other point?
Well we were one of the first off the plane so we legged it down to passport control. No lines up on the Canadian/PR side but all other passports there was a small line up.

Basically there is about 20 of these scanning machines and they look like the things at airports that BA have to print off your boarding pass.

You scan passport/PR card and then you scan your customs form. If everything goes ok then you get a print out of your form and you give it to customs guys when you exit.

Funnily no one was interested in my passport, only my PR card lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.