Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Mar 8th 2018, 11:23 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by magnumpi
I asked if they would be able to format it and make it like new, all was done, fixed and like new again and all for free, no charge.....that’s great service IMO
Hmmm... What might have been good service would have been to ensure that the update didn't turn a perfectly usable computer into an expensive paper weight.
Old Mar 8th 2018, 11:26 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
Hmmm... What might have been good service would have been to ensure that the update didn't turn a perfectly usable computer into an expensive paper weight.
I did start with that question regarding the updates. However fixing the problem and resetting my computer was a best of a shite situation fix I suppose.

I was happy they fixed it without even me asking or getting mad
Old Mar 9th 2018, 8:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

CRA is holding back my refund due to GST bussiness account not being in compliance.

Not sure why they think I am a bussiness or why I have a GST bussiness account.

Have to call on Monday and sort it out with them.

Downside to living pay to pay running out of money a week before payday...
Old Mar 10th 2018, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Thought I'd get this in before the usual lib bashers. Global news reporting $650k spent on the new cannabis store logo. It is literally plain black typeface. Someone is having a laugh.
Old Mar 10th 2018, 7:10 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

When I was a teenager I went and stayed with a family friend for a week, who's mother was a housekeeper on a farm. Every few days we would sneak off to the pub, where we would sit and drink shandy's (we weren't of age), before wending our way back to the farm to the 'hut' out the back to sit and chat.

At the pub one day, I got chatted up by this bloke who looked just like Brian Jones of the Stones.. we sat and talked and then he walked back with us to the hut, where he and I snogged our brains out (and nothing more) and then he left - never to be seen again.

I was reading an article tonight about the Stones - and Brian - and looked up the place where he lived.. and where he went drinking.... and have just realised it's the same pub where we used to go andddddddd..........OMG! He wasn't a look alike - I'm 99% certain it was Brian Jones.

Gobsmacked!

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 10th 2018 at 7:15 am.
Old Mar 10th 2018, 1:02 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
When I was a teenager I went and stayed with a family friend for a week, who's mother was a housekeeper on a farm. Every few days we would sneak off to the pub, where we would sit and drink shandy's (we weren't of age), before wending our way back to the farm to the 'hut' out the back to sit and chat.

At the pub one day, I got chatted up by this bloke who looked just like Brian Jones of the Stones.. we sat and talked and then he walked back with us to the hut, where he and I snogged our brains out (and nothing more) and then he left - never to be seen again.

I was reading an article tonight about the Stones - and Brian - and looked up the place where he lived.. and where he went drinking.... and have just realised it's the same pub where we used to go andddddddd..........OMG! He wasn't a look alike - I'm 99% certain it was Brian Jones.

Gobsmacked!
You're a groupie that never was and never knew.
Old Mar 10th 2018, 5:18 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
where he and I snogged our brains out (and nothing more) and then he left - never to be seen again.
You could have been the last person to see him alive....
Old Mar 10th 2018, 8:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
Thought I'd get this in before the usual lib bashers. Global news reporting $650k spent on the new cannabis store logo. It is literally plain black typeface. Someone is having a laugh.
That would be the Ontario Liberal Party that spent that on the new logo.
So I assume you are quite happy that it was money well spent?

Ontario Cannabis Store Logo Is The Most Literal Thing Ever
Old Mar 11th 2018, 12:47 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

U2's Bono comes in for a fair bit of stick (similarly, Chris Martin/Coldplay) with accusations of being a tad self righteous.

But there have been allegations of bullying and harassment in the charity he set up in 2004. He has apologised.

Originally Posted by Bono
Although the bullying allegations centre on an individual, the head office failed to protect those employees and I need to take some responsibility for that.

In fact, if they would agree, I would like to meet them and apologise in person.
That's pretty good isn't it? No lily-livered "if anyone offended/suffered" non-apology so common these days.

He's accepting responsibility even though he's no more to blame than a CEO, chief of police, minister etc is for the actions of a rogue individual in their organisation.
Old Mar 11th 2018, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian

Not at all. Sorry if that wasn't clear. I have no idea how the design company managed to present either their design, or their bill, with a straight face. And even less idea how the government have the nerve to present it to the public.
Old Mar 11th 2018, 2:00 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian

Aside from the design, they somehow failed to choose an acronym that isn't already in use for hundreds of other purposes. Actually, now that I remember the creativity they displayed in naming the Beer Store, it isn't all that surprising.
Old Mar 11th 2018, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Dyson no loner making corded vacuums. Everything is now going to be stick type or cordless.

Just in time for spring cleaning, Dyson has unveiled the newest addition to its lineup of high-tech vacuums. At a press conference in New York City yesterday, founder and chief engineer Sir James Dyson introduced the Dyson Cyclone V10, a powerful battery-operated stick vacuum that he says is “why [Dyson has] stopped developing corded vacuums.”

https://www.curbed.com/2018/3/7/1708...-v10-pure-cool

A bargain at $850 plus taxes for the new V10 Absolute Extra
https://www.dysoncanada.ca/en-CA/vac...ute-extra.aspx
Old Mar 11th 2018, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

I've had 3 dyson vacs-never again. I suppose the new ones have rechargeable batteries? Well I do have the mini handheld one (apart from the 3 full vacs that ended up in a skip) and I have had to replace the battery 4 times in8 years- and they ain't cheap!
Old Mar 11th 2018, 5:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

The blame for lost bags is often placed on us humans working on the ramp.

However the vast majority of the time its the automated systems that cause the problem.

Yesterday for example. A passenger arrived in YVR and was spending the night before flying to Hong Kong today.

The bag was tagged to Hong Kong so we took it to the international transfer belt as intl transfers dont need to go through CBSA.

Passenger decided they wanted bag.

We go down to intl bag room and bag is nowhere to be found.

The bag was lost in the automated system somewhere.

My last departure last night, I was missing 2 bags.

4 hours later the bags drop into the bag room.

Again lost in the automated system.

Its also these systems that cause most of the damage to bags. Not us humans.
Old Mar 11th 2018, 11:30 pm
Listen to the Music

There are some days when you just have to complain about something.. no matter how trivial..
Lanhydrock National Trust cream tea advert sparks outrage - BBC News

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.