Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Quitting work dilemma

Quitting work dilemma

Old Apr 15th 2008, 12:32 am
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quitting work dilemma

I think from reading your OP, (not finding day care, etc), your heart isn't really into going back to work? I know that you will have heaps to do preparing for the move as well as looking after the kids and with OH away. As others have said, as long as you are upfront with them I am sure they will be fine.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Well I've decided there is no point in going back to work so I'll go to the office tomorrow morning and let them know what's going on. My stomach is in knots and I feel like such a git. I don't think I'll get much sleep tonight. Why do I feel like a teenager
Old Apr 15th 2008, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
Well I've decided there is no point in going back to work so I'll go to the office tomorrow morning and let them know what's going on. My stomach is in knots and I feel like such a git. I don't think I'll get much sleep tonight. Why do I feel like a teenager
Good luck for tomorrow, will be thinking about you.

You're not a git you're a Mum who has decided that she wants to spend more time with her baby. You could also put it in such a way that you feel as if you're helping them - it wouldn't be fair of you to return as you know you're going to be fretting for your little one and therefore unable to concentrate properly on the job in hand (employers don't have to know all your reasons for not returning).

Let us know how it goes.

Lynne
Old Apr 15th 2008, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

rach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud of

As an aside, I don't understand why you say you aren't receiving any benefits from your employer? I thought it was the law that maternity leavers have to be treated as if they were working normally or there is hell to pay with regards to benefits, bonuses etc??

Rachel
Old Apr 15th 2008, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beastie
Good luck for tomorrow, will be thinking about you.

You're not a git you're a Mum who has decided that she wants to spend more time with her baby. You could also put it in such a way that you feel as if you're helping them - it wouldn't be fair of you to return as you know you're going to be fretting for your little one and therefore unable to concentrate properly on the job in hand (employers don't have to know all your reasons for not returning).

Let us know how it goes.

Lynne
Trouble is my boss is a real estate lawyer and will be dealing with the sale of the house plus the real estate agent we are using is a really good friend of his, so I can't exactly keep quiet about my reasons for leaving. Also even if I wanted to go back to work I really can't find a day care space that's close to work or home.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rach_woz99
As an aside, I don't understand why you say you aren't receiving any benefits from your employer? I thought it was the law that maternity leavers have to be treated as if they were working normally or there is hell to pay with regards to benefits, bonuses etc??

Rachel
I work in a very small office there are 2 lawyers and three assistants we don't receive any bonuses or benefits. I do however received Maternity benefits from the government which works out at 55% of my wage.

Last edited by Elaine B.; Apr 15th 2008 at 9:27 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of light

Okay, so how about now that you've had the baby you've realised how much you miss the support network of your family and friends and have therefore made the decision to return home.

As for not being able to find childcare provision then you really have no alternative but to stay at home.

At the end of the day you've made your decision, you know you're moving back home so even if they decide to be funny with you it's not going to have a huge impact in the grand scheme of things.

I really wouldn't worry.

Lynne
Old Apr 15th 2008, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Okay, so how about now that you've had the baby you've realised how much you miss the support network of your family and friends and have therefore made the decision to return home.

As for not being able to find childcare provision then you really have no alternative but to stay at home.

At the end of the day you've made your decision, you know you're moving back home so even if they decide to be funny with you it's not going to have a huge impact in the grand scheme of things.

I really wouldn't worry.

Lynne
I know you're right I just need to get tomorrow over with
Old Apr 15th 2008, 9:34 pm
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute

Just think to yourself - this time in 24 hours it will all be over. I know I felt the same before handing in my resignation - but once I had done it, it felt like a huge weight had been lifted from my shoulders.

Fingers crossed it all goes well for you tomorrow.

Take care,
pink.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

AlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond repute

Dont worry about it Elaine, very soon you'll be back in Larne and this will all be a distant memory

Let us know how you get on.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AlvicSK
Dont worry about it Elaine, very soon you'll be back in Larne and this will all be a distant memory

Let us know how you get on.
It's funny I used to say the best thing about Larne was the boat leaving

Anyway I just got back from telling my boss I won't be coming back to work and it all went fine. I'm so glad it's over with now I can concentrate on getting the house ready to sell.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
It's funny I used to say the best thing about Larne was the boat leaving

Anyway I just got back from telling my boss I won't be coming back to work and it all went fine. I'm so glad it's over with now I can concentrate on getting the house ready to sell.
You see, knew you could do it girl...that's one huge thing now to tick of the list
Old Apr 16th 2008, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AlvicSK
You see, knew you could do it girl...that's one huge thing now to tick of the list
Thanks Alvic

Now I wonder what I can stress about next? I get my list
Old Apr 16th 2008, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Elaine, glad to hear today went okay. All that worrying and stressing and for nothing.

Now what's the next focus going to be?

Lynne
Old Apr 16th 2008, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Elaine, glad to hear today went okay. All that worrying and stressing and for nothing.

Now what's the next focus going to be?

Lynne
selling this bloody house

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.