Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

QUESTIONS ABOUT ITALY!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

QUESTIONS ABOUT ITALY!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Old Apr 7th 2008, 5:24 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default QUESTIONS ABOUT ITALY!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

I went on a trip to Italy, fell in love with it, and want to move there. Can anyone tell me which would be the best part of Italy for me -- the one that has the cheapest houses, the highest paying jobs, the best schools, the most pleasant climate, the most beautiful scenery, the most stunning art, and the most delicious food?

Just kidding.

But I really did love Italy.

There were a lot of splendid sights / sites in Rome but, if I was forced to choose just one, I would vote for St. Peter's Basilica. That would not have been the tourist attraction that I would have wanted to have liked best. I'm a bit of a Recovering Catholic, who hasn't quite got over sociopaths like Sister Helen at my convent boarding school. But, even if the Catholic Church is represented by human beings with the full range of human frailties, St. Peter's is what it is. When I was standing in the middle of it, I was unable to deny that it was drop-dead gorgeous.

It also was tough to pick a favourite in Florence. There were many features of the city that vied for first place. But again, if I was forced to name Florence's most delicious offering, I would have to say it was Michelangelo's David. When I say that, it sounds to me like another cliché. But again, the facts speak for themselves. When I looked at that statue, it was impossible to deny that it was stunning.

While I was sight seeing, I was thinking about this whole immigration thing. Some of my companions on day tours were people from Greece, Spain, France, Germany, etc. -- countries that have their own history, art, monumental buildings, charm and so on. Every one of those people sighed and said I was so lucky to live near the Rocky Mountains in Canada.

But my tour companions who came from "new" countries -- the USA and Australia -- all raved about the old buildings and cobbled streets of Italy. An American couple who had been living in London, UK for the last year were representative of this group. They said that they loved London, its museums, and everything else it had to offer. The other thing they loved about London was its proximity to the Continent. They were in Rome that weekend, and two weekends before that they'd been in Paris. They were using the opportunity afforded by an intra-company transfer to soak up as much of Europe as they could.

Sometimes it's hard for me to understand why you guys walk away from the UK when you have all that stuff on your doorstep. But then it's also true that I've never lived in the UK. I'm very conscious of the fact that it's one thing to visit a place as a tourist and another thing to live in that place.

I also was struck by the fact that, much as I loved Italy, I experienced a sense of having arrived home when I reached the departure gate for the Air Canada flight that would take me to Toronto for my connection to Calgary. This has happened to me on every overseas trip on which I've been in the last 15 years or so. When I've reached my departure gate and found myself surrounded by Canadians, I've felt safe.

Not that I feel threatened in foreign countries. But, when there are Canadians chatting all around me, I get that feeling that some of your describe when you visit the UK -- the feeling of sliding into a comfortable old sweater and pair of slippers. Canadians are people whom I've come to understand.

It's true that Canada doesn't offer everything I want, and I expect I'll always need to travel to experience what Canada cannot give me. But, after 31 years here, I do feel as if Canada is my home base. It was nice to have that confirmed.
x
Old Apr 7th 2008, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: QUESTIONS ABOUT ITALY!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Hey Judy

I've never yet made it to Italy (well I skied there once, but that really isn't all that cultural!!), and it would be somewhere I'd love to go to....

However, what you say, is that basically, what works for one, doesn't work for another.

I'm in a different situation to many wanting to leave the UK, in as much as I only came here because of my fathers terminal illness. It was never a choice that was made for the right reasons...

I don't have any family here to speak of, not like alot of people I know who still live in the same towns etc...

I totally appreciate history - more now than I ever did at school - however I am really keen to spread my wings and head to Vancouver soon.

I'm glad you feel at home in Canada, and one day hopefully you'll make it to BC!!!

Bx
Old Apr 7th 2008, 5:52 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary;
I went on a trip to Italy, fell in love with it, and want to move there. Can anyone tell me which would be the best part of Italy for me -- the one that has the cheapest houses, the highest paying jobs, the best schools, the most pleasant climate, the most beautiful scenery, the most stunning art, and the most delicious food?

x
Have you read the wiki?

<Welcome back>
Old Apr 7th 2008, 6:03 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Iqaluitia, Nunavutio

Glad to hear that you had a good trip, Judy!
Old Apr 7th 2008, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold

Hi Judy

Welcome home

I would love to see Italy, it's one of my favourite countries in Europe and i've never even been there!
Old Apr 7th 2008, 6:30 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

I always think of Italy as one of those Love it or Hate it places. Like you I loved it, the people, the food, the sights, the food oh and the food.

I hope you have come back refreshed.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 6:32 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Wondered where you had disappeared! Sounds like you had an amazing time, but it's also nice to hear that it felt good to be "home"
Old Apr 7th 2008, 7:38 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome back Judy,
Glad you had a fabulous time.
Charlie
Old Apr 7th 2008, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud of

Italy is truly a beautiful country, glad you enjoyed your stay, welcome home
Old Apr 7th 2008, 8:41 pm
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome back Judy we missed you.

Old Apr 7th 2008, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

canbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to behold

Welcome back Judy,
your threads always make us Brits delve into the darkest depths of our brains, and go over again our reasoning behind leaving England.
I sometimes forget the main reason when people ask, But all I can say is its a small world out there, and to experience it as much as you can.
Italy sounds great, I will wait for the kids to grow before we go.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 8:47 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome back Judy, glad you enjoyed Italy - it's one place that I've never really worried about visiting but my Aunt went there last year and said that the sites/sights are fantastic. May go there one day, it we get cheap flights from Regina
Old Apr 7th 2008, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
What about the length of vacations?

Welcome home
Old Apr 7th 2008, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

lauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to all

Did your hair straighteners work Ok or did you have to buy mark 12 GBHs

Glad you had a nice trip

Tom
Old Apr 7th 2008, 9:11 pm
I'm a girl, dagnabbit! :)

Wannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud of

Did your Italian rental car have to be plugged in overnight?

I visited Rome a few years ago, and have to agree that the Basilica is a fantastic place! Did you go up to the outside of it to see the view over Rome and the Vatican City?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.