Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Question about snowblowers

Question about snowblowers

Old Jan 11th 2017, 7:35 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about snowblowers

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
You want one of the smaller Honda tracked models such as this one: http://powerequipment.honda.ca/snowblowers/dual-stage/hss622ctd

Not cheap but easier to manoeuvre I think.
Yes, thank you AE, I think that's the sort of thing I'm after. I've seen someone here with the tracks, and it looks like I could do it.

My husband 'fixes' things, hence we always have a string of things that will only work for him. I just want something that 'I' can use. Cost can't come into it, when talking about East coast snow. It's that feeling of staying in control of the damned thing that is priceless.

That being said + 8 and rain today, and the same thing for tomorrow...who needs a snowblower
Old Jan 20th 2017, 5:35 pm
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute

Our first snowblower was purchased from The Home Depot, that went back after a week, load of crap. Our second a John Deere is a load of crap but works, try getting spare parts for the model we have (bought from John Deere) and they have problems locating the model on their books - don't even stock the snow shoes so my husband has to improvise.

Last winter we bought a superduper Husqvarna with all bells and whistles to keep me happy (I do the snowblowing!!), heated handles, drive release on both handles etc., makes turning easy BUT it is a brute to use and so far this winter it hasn't come out of the garage, preferring instead the crappy John Deere.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 5:41 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodmanbg
Our first snowblower was purchased from The Home Depot, that went back after a week, load of crap. Our second a John Deere is a load of crap but works, try getting spare parts for the model we have (bought from John Deere) and they have problems locating the model on their books - don't even stock the snow shoes so my husband has to improvise.

Last winter we bought a superduper Husqvarna with all bells and whistles to keep me happy (I do the snowblowing!!), heated handles, drive release on both handles etc., makes turning easy BUT it is a brute to use and so far this winter it hasn't come out of the garage, preferring instead the crappy John Deere.
I finally got the chance to use my new one (Yardworks) the other day.

Not as simple as I imagined it would be. There is obviously a technique.

I'll hold off doing my neighbours' driveways until I have had more practice at aiming. It could get a bit expensive on windows and windshields, otherwise.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 6:28 pm
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute

Yep you would think they would be so easy but with my new one I cannot change the direction of the shute unless I stop the machine. You have to press down hard on the stick and then move it left or right, this I have to do with the hand I broke my wrist February 2015 and it is not easy, in fact I have to use both hands to press down. With the John Deere you could just wind very easily as you went along, although with the vibration of the machine it would turn itself sometimes, not always a good idea! The one good thing going for the new machine is that it throws the snow a greater distance.

I am hoping the winter continues to be as good as it has so far been and that we won't need to get the brute out!
Old Jan 20th 2017, 6:32 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

None of this is making me change my mind.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 6:59 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodmanbg
Yep you would think they would be so easy but with my new one I cannot change the direction of the shute unless I stop the machine. You have to press down hard on the stick and then move it left or right, this I have to do with the hand I broke my wrist February 2015 and it is not easy, in fact I have to use both hands to press down. With the John Deere you could just wind very easily as you went along, although with the vibration of the machine it would turn itself sometimes, not always a good idea! The one good thing going for the new machine is that it throws the snow a greater distance.

I am hoping the winter continues to be as good as it has so far been and that we won't need to get the brute out!
The reason I bought the one I did is that all the controls are easily accessible. They are all within a few inches of each other and you don't have to kill the power to get at any of them.

The electric starter is also great, although next time I'll remember to unplug it before pressing on the drive lever.....