Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Question about snowblowers

Question about snowblowers

Old Jan 10th 2017, 11:03 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about snowblowers

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
If it's a lump of ice then probably the blower wont go over it. If it breaks off it'll likely be spat out of the chute so aim it away from anything you value. If it's too much the shear pin will break. Then you a) learn how to replace a shear pin and b) start to learn the limitations of your blower.
OK.

We are in for a fair whack of snow today, so I'll get the chance to learn how to use the thing. I'll avoid the pile of ice at the bottom of the driveway (present from the plough) because it's only on one side and isn't in the way. We're in for a warm-up and rain tomorrow, so I may be able to shift the pile by hand.

In addition, is the manual being truthful when it says to change the oil often? My blower came filled with oil. The manual is telling me to change it after 5 hours.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 11:34 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
In addition, is the manual being truthful when it says to change the oil often? My blower came filled with oil. The manual is telling me to change it after 5 hours.
That first oil change is to allow any metal particles from the initial few hours running of the engine to be be removed before they have a change to do any damage. So, reasonably important - but if its 5-10hrs I suspect it won't be a problem. From there annual oil change is all thats required and not even that really. Mine probably gets changed once every couple of years.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 1:41 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
That first oil change is to allow any metal particles from the initial few hours running of the engine to be be removed before they have a change to do any damage. So, reasonably important - but if its 5-10hrs I suspect it won't be a problem. From there annual oil change is all thats required and not even that really. Mine probably gets changed once every couple of years.
OK. Noted. I'll make an initial change at some point.

Is it advisable to drain the thing completely at the end of the season and run it dry of gas (not in that order, obviously) before stowing it for the summer?

I am a complete newbie at this, so I know you'll be nice to me
Old Jan 10th 2017, 2:03 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Is it advisable to drain the thing completely at the end of the season and run it dry of gas (not in that order, obviously) before stowing it for the summer?

Drain the engine oil? No, don't do that. Leave it full of oil.
Drain the gas tank? No. Fill the tank completely & chuck in some fuel stabiliser (source from Crappy Tire) if you feel so inclined, although I never bother & mine seems to still work fine after 10years service!
Old Jan 10th 2017, 2:04 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

You can brim it with gas and add fuel stabilizer to the tank. Run the machine for several minutes to ensure the stabilizer is distributed everywhere. Turn off and store. I like to change oil at the same time, so it's good to go next winter.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 2:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I simply put fuel conditioner into all of our machines that don't get much use in their "off season", lawn tractor, hand mower, motorcycle and snow blower and I have never had an issue when restarting them.

Draining them completely of gas is what those that know tell me is ideal, but I am far too lazy to do that.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 2:19 pm
Slightly Canadian

...and remember. Be careful where you point the chute!

Old Jan 10th 2017, 2:53 pm
Slob

OK. Got it.

Fill it with gas. Clean up the spillage (thanks to Souvette buying and filling a 20-litre container, which is going to be a bugger to manipulate).

Plug in starter. Put the key in. Full choke and engine speed. Pump a couple of times and hit the starter button.

Reduce choke when motor running properly.

Select gear. I'll start low.

Aim chute to throw snow clear over the neighbour's hedge and well away from nipples, as well as anything else that may involve an insurance claim or litigation.

Blow.

Start getting certain neighbours being unusually nice to me.

Some time later, drain and replace the oil. Top up gas and shove some other stuff in it before throwing a tarp over it for a few months.

Have I got everything covered?
Old Jan 10th 2017, 3:57 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

OK. Got it.

Fill it with gas. Clean up the spillage (thanks to Souvette buying and filling a 20-litre container, which is going to be a bugger to manipulate).

Plug in starter. Put the key in. Full choke and engine speed. Pump a couple of times and hit the starter button.

Aim chute to throw snow clear over the neighbour's hedge and well away from nipples, as well as anything else that may involve an insurance claim or litigation.

Blow.

Some time later, drain and replace the oil. Top up gas and shove some other stuff in it before throwing a tarp over it for a few months.

Purchase wide mouth funnel to assist with gas filling. It's often easier to use than the spout you screw into a gas container.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

After every use of the blower, top up the gas tank with stabilised gas. That is after each snow blowing session. Purpose is to prevent condensation forming inside the tank in the event a week or so passes before the next snow dump occurs. Added bonus is next time you need its services your good to go!
Old Jan 10th 2017, 5:58 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by macadian
After every use of the blower, top up the gas tank with stabilised gas. That is after each snow blowing session. Purpose is to prevent condensation forming inside the tank in the event a week or so passes before the next snow dump occurs. Added bonus is next time you need its services your good to go!
I'd appreciate advice on what stabiliser to buy. A link to the appropriate product on the CT website will suffice.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 6:01 pm
Pea Brain

I'd appreciate advice on what stabiliser to buy. A link to the appropriate product on the CT website will suffice.
Sta-Bil Fuel Stabilizer, 236ml | Canadian Tire

Any brand will do, it just raises the octane rating, so as the fuel ages over time it helps retain its quality. Important to run it through the machine for a few minutes to stop carbs, throttle etc potentially gumming up with 'old' fuel sitting in them.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 6:13 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by R I C H
Sta-Bil Fuel Stabilizer, 236ml | Canadian Tire

Any brand will do, it just raises the octane rating, so as the fuel ages over time it helps retain its quality. Important to run it through the machine for a few minutes to stop carbs, throttle etc potentially gumming up with 'old' fuel sitting in them.
Got it. Thanks

It's on my list for this weekend, along with spare pins and some 5W30. (I already have a funnel).
Old Jan 10th 2017, 11:02 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

OK. Got it.

Blow.

I wish I'd read this before I went out. It took me five goes to start the thing before I got the throttle thing right. With the wind howling round it was impossible to direct the snow so I didn't get covered. Oh and close the garage door before you start otherwise the snow goes in.
Old Jan 11th 2017, 3:03 pm
Slob

Dammit!

My dreams of using my snowblower for the first time, to clear last night's 9cm accumulation were dashed by the city. Their contractor came round to clear the bigger piles and the bit around the hydrant at the bottom of my driveway.

I can do what's left with a teaspoon.

Then again, it's windy and the wind is blowing in exactly the wrong direction. A teaspoon might be better than a blower.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.