Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

PROPERTY VALUES AND INCOMES REQUIRED.

PROPERTY VALUES AND INCOMES REQUIRED.

Old Dec 16th 2015, 9:36 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PROPERTY VALUES AND INCOMES REQUIRED.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Appears that only Atlantic Canada, & Windsor, ON are within our buying zone... But then again our income in those places would be lower and we wouldn't have access to a low income mortgage, so probably still couldn't afford to buy......
I'm not convinced that the lower income would be in the same proportion.

Also, it probably depends on what's meant by a fixer-upper. Does that mean it needs a fitted kitchen? A shower fitted because the current shower is really a bath with shower installation rather than a nice separate shower unit? Or heating is 'just' a wood stove rather than geothermal heat pump?

I remember a few weeks ago there was a thread about bathrooms where en suite bathrooms for each bedroom was considered the norm.

Maybe that place with 'only' one bathroom is a fixer-upper.

Maybe a fixer-upper is really somewhere needing what used to be called TLC.
Old Dec 16th 2015, 9:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Well I know that. ....

It does make it very difficult to actually acquire any more deposit. You really need to get it right first time. I'm wondering whether we should build. .....
We bought more house than we needed almost 13 years ago, with a view to staying put for the foreseeable future. By the time we had (self) moved our stuff from Virginia I said "That's it! We're done, I'm not moving again!"
Old Dec 16th 2015, 10:16 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
That doesn't work in Canada though. We've been overpaying our mortgage but if we used a realtor to sell them all we've done by overpaying the mortgage is pay their 5% + HST fee. It would leave us cost neutral and with the same deposit we started with..
Use a fixed fee agent instead? That would save you a fortune!

Old Dec 16th 2015, 10:48 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Use a fixed fee agent instead? That would save you a fortune!

Well we've hopefully got private buyers, I was using myself as an example why you can't do as Pulaski said was easy on page 1..
Old Dec 17th 2015, 12:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I'm not convinced that the lower income would be in the same proportion.

Also, it probably depends on what's meant by a fixer-upper. Does that mean it needs a fitted kitchen? A shower fitted because the current shower is really a bath with shower installation rather than a nice separate shower unit? Or heating is 'just' a wood stove rather than geothermal heat pump?

I remember a few weeks ago there was a thread about bathrooms where en suite bathrooms for each bedroom was considered the norm.

Maybe that place with 'only' one bathroom is a fixer-upper.

Maybe a fixer-upper is really somewhere needing what used to be called TLC.
Fixer upper in Vancouver generally means not something most would be willing to live in, or completely in need of tear down and being rebuilt....

The lower mainland as a whole is cheaper, but even in the cheaper regions like Surrey/Maple Ridge/Abbotsford etc well above our price limit....

With 0 debt our max is around 175k, once student loans are paid, we would be able to be in the 150k upper limit with the car payment.

(All according to the credit union mortgage lady.) (Being they are a credit union, they only do mortgages within BC, and not sure we have the earning power to make up the loss of disability as the cheaper provinces don't really have the same sort of program BC does. Hard to know for sure how things would work in another province in the long run.)
Old Dec 17th 2015, 12:17 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Fixer upper in Vancouver generally means not something most would be willing to live in
Yes, pretty much my point.

From stuff posted here - not just by you - you do have to be very well off or, at least, richer than most in Van.

If you're very well off then you don't have to be "willing to live in" a house of a certain age, missing certain features etc because you can afford better. Maybe the rest of us would be perfectly content.

We have an 'unfinished' basement. Our second bathroom is only a 'half' with lav and basin. There's no bidet or extra shower.
Our kitchen has no island or breakfast bar (oh the shame ) We don't have a porch or fancy front door.

I daresay there are those who might describe it as a fixer upper.
Old Dec 17th 2015, 1:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

If you're very well off then you don't have to be "willing to live in" a house of a certain age, missing certain features etc because you can afford better. Maybe the rest of us would be perfectly content.
You have to be well off and think that your house is a priority. I know a couple who have a household income of around $500,000 and grown up children. I suppose they're very well off by most standards but they live in one of those Don Mills bungalows everyone could afford in the 1990s; three small bedrooms, one bathroom, unfinished basement. Their priorities are elsewhere.

We have an 'unfinished' basement. Our second bathroom is only a 'half' with lav and basin. There's no bidet or extra shower. Our kitchen has no island or breakfast bar (oh the shame ) We don't have a porch or fancy front door.
If we're to race to the bottom, then I think I can say with confidence that the lack of skirting boards, window sills and trim, "student rental" carpets, beige walls and dog destroyed furniture coverings lend our house an air of crack den unlikely to be out shabby chic-ed here.
Old Dec 17th 2015, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
You have to be well off and think that your house is a priority. I know a couple who have a household income of around $500,000 and grown up children. I suppose they're very well off by most standards but they live in one of those Don Mills bungalows everyone could afford in the 1990s; three small bedrooms, one bathroom, unfinished basement. Their priorities are elsewhere.
I've had two multi-millionaire acquaintances over the years. Once lived in... well, kind of a shack, really... and drove a 20-year-old Mercedes, because he got rich by saving and investing and not spending money. The other lived in a French chateau, because he got rich by building a business, and considered chateau maintenance a hobby (no-one sane buys one unless they're willing to keep spending a ton of money on the place).

Most of the people buying $1,000,000 houses probably have high incomes and tons of debt. An acquaintance tried to buy one a few months ago, but the bank turned them down. Even we don't know how they possibly thought they could afford it.
Old Dec 17th 2015, 2:53 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
I've had two multi-millionaire acquaintances over the years. One lived in... well, kind of a shack, really... and drove a 20-year-old Mercedes, because he got rich by saving and investing and not spending money.
living in Canada, can you imagine the income tax that multi-millionaire pays on top of the maintenance & upkeep of the old Mercedes.
Old Dec 17th 2015, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
living in Canada, can you imagine the income tax that multi-millionaire pays on top of the maintenance & upkeep of the old Mercedes.
That one was in California, but he was still complaining about how none of the mythical tax avoidance schemes millionaires are supposed to be able to use actually work at his income level. These days, it seems you really need to be a billionaire before you can easily avoid tax.
Old Dec 17th 2015, 3:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

That one was in California, but he was still complaining about how none of the mythical tax avoidance schemes millionaires are supposed to be able to use actually work at his income level. These days, it seems you really need to be a billionaire before you can easily avoid tax.
I'm not a billionaire and have no trouble avoiding most income tax (I do pay but the rate is something like .041%). If there was a means to avoiding paying EHT and CPP then I might be able to afford to run an old Mercedes.
Old Dec 17th 2015, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm not a billionaire and have no trouble avoiding most income tax (I do pay but the rate is something like .041%). If there was a means to avoiding paying EHT and CPP then I might be able to afford to run an old Mercedes.
Aren't you running a business, though? When I was a kid, I remember my father talking about how much less tax he paid after he was laid off and started his own business (which always amused me, since he was a Labour man for life).
Old Dec 17th 2015, 4:05 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Aren't you running a business, though?
Well yes, but how many millionaires and billionaires are paid in the form of a T4'd salary?
Old Dec 17th 2015, 5:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I've read postings like this that you have made before and have always thought that you must have no income. After reading about the lack of finishing touches to your residence, I believe that I may have been correct.

Now, as a business owner myself, I appreciate that there are certain write offs available, but nowhere near to the extent that the income tax that I pay could be reduced to less than half of one percent of my income.

Even if "your" income was held as retained earnings in a corp. "you" would be paying more than half of one percent of it in tax.

Please provide us all with an example of something (other than the cost cell phone) that "you" are able to receive but, for which, you are not taxed.
Old Dec 17th 2015, 6:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Please provide us all with an example of something (other than the cost cell phone) that "you" are able to receive but, for which, you are not taxed.
Income. There may be some non-taxed benefits, such as pleasure use of a company vehicle or telephone, but it's income that's important to me; not quite cash but bank deposits to be used for routine purposes such as finishing the house.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.