Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Prime Minister for a day

Prime Minister for a day

Old Nov 20th 2017, 8:12 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prime Minister for a day

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
If I were Prime Minister for a day, the only thing I would do would be to create a highly-trained paramilitary force, with powers of summary conviction, confiscation, incarceration and probably even execution of their targets. This crack team would have one solitary purpose, and they would be known and feared throughout the land....

The Aircraft Hand Baggage Commandos. "Nemo ibit apud duos sacculos"
Can I be in charge? I'd start with making everyone fit their bags into that sizing frame, a newly designed sizing frame that would crush the case to the correct size.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Except for smaller ones with no number pads, all computer keyboards should be the same.

For five years I've been using a laptop with the delete button above right of the enter key. Now it's to the left and I'm hitting 'home' and typing at the beginning instead of where I should be.

The last button on the Qwerty row is now the last one on the second row. So the last one on the second row, right next the big enter key and above the big shift, one that was easy to just hit because of its easy to find position now gives the wrong result.

And the left shift is now a small shift instead of the big one with an extra button instead meaning either a | or a \ appears as well as a capital letter.

Weirdly, the button sharing the space of what was a bigger left shift is a duplicate of the one that dropped a row.

Did this ever happen with typewriters?
Is cos you are foreign. You've been using an old colonial keyboard and are now on a New World one.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 8:20 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Your thinking is on the right lines but flawed, not an actifry but a Tfal Fry Delight. Chips, parsnips, all brilliant but you can also roast a whole chicken in it and it's yummy. With that and my Instant Pot i rarely use the cooker.
I'd certainly be thinking that way if I was starting out on my own again. Too many gadgets though.

Mother in law went out to buy a bread maker today, did so, but came back with a bacon cooker as well.

Old Nov 21st 2017, 1:39 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

That's an interesting piece of kit? Are they new?
Old Nov 21st 2017, 3:40 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Mother in law went out to buy a bread maker today, did so, but came back with a bacon cooker as well.
Looks like another worthless gadjet to clean to me, expect to see them on the TV for christmass at 19.99... but wait call now and we'll send two etc etc...
Old Nov 21st 2017, 7:55 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
Looks like another worthless gadjet to clean to me, expect to see them on the TV for christmass at 19.99... but wait call now and we'll send two etc etc...
Does the J in dave_j stand for 'joy' by any chance?
Old Nov 21st 2017, 12:06 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I've not seen it advertised anywhere and I usually look at gadget advertising.

Looks like another worthless gadjet to clean to me
I would go along with pointless but it looks easier to clean than alternative cooking methods. Especially with the bacon here which is mostly of the streaky kind and far fattier than streaky back in the UK.

The thing is, because it's so fatty there's a lot of shrinkage. You could load the thing up with as much bacon as you can fit and by the time it's done you have enough for one meaty sandwich.

The alternatives either involve frying - so it sits in fat - and pouring excess fat off as you go or grilling (broiling) and pouring off excess fat as you go.

All three methods involved pouring off but the new gadget at least stops it sitting in fat.

I liked the old method, under a UK grill with a grid so the fat dripped through and scrape solidified fat out later - usually after about 6 months.
Old Nov 21st 2017, 1:42 pm
Yo

I liked the old method, under a UK grill with a grid so the fat dripped through and scrape solidified fat out later - usually after about 6 months.
6 months?!? I grill bacon almost daily - and always clean the pan afterwards. Although I do use a sheet of foil to make the process a bit easier.
Old Nov 21st 2017, 2:15 pm
Oscar nominated

6 months?!? I grill bacon almost daily - and always clean the pan afterwards. Although I do use a sheet of foil to make the process a bit easier.
I was exaggerating the 6 months but definitely not right after.

Back in the days of making fried bread - with lard, which tells you how long ago that was - there was one day we had no lard left to use.

So I took some fat from the grill to use. I was just a child, mind. It was horrible.

Old Nov 21st 2017, 3:43 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

You must be referring to that new fangled must have.. The Acme Electric Nose Picker that comes complete with the redesigned grolly collector and dispenser for the discerning gourmet of green dribbles..

Seen them on the telly.. call them now and they'll send two... just pay for post and packing in a plain brown package...
Old Nov 21st 2017, 3:44 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I was exaggerating the 6 months but definitely not right after.

Back in the days of making fried bread - with lard, which tells you how long ago that was - there was one day we had no lard left to use.

So I took some fat from the grill to use. I was just a child, mind. It was horrible.

Have you done any calculations to see if buying ready cooked bacon is much more expensive than raw?
Old Nov 21st 2017, 5:13 pm
Oscar nominated

Have you done any calculations to see if buying ready cooked bacon is much more expensive than raw?
Depends how you mean...I've seen it in a couple of forms where a calculation isn't necessary to see how expensive it is.

Maple Leaf (the least fatty) when it's between $2.50 and $4, which is often enough, is better value.

Our local meat and everything else store has back bacon, which compared to the expensive packs of back bacon normally available (Lou's), looks like it's already cooked.

So while it looks more expensive than normal streaky, when it's cooked/re-heated, it's the same size.

But you need that bit of fat with it. So our local store back bacon with a little streaky added is a good mix.

But then that was the advantage of UK style back bacon wasn't it...a bit of both.
Old Nov 21st 2017, 6:13 pm
limey party pooper

I was thinking more on the lines of how much uncooked bacon when cooked would equal the weight of the pre cooked bacon. Then once you consider the time involved in cooking bacon plus the grease clear up, it gets everywhere in the kitchen whether or not you can see it. I rarely buy bacon, it's over 50% fat, takes forever, and it's messy. Just go out for breakfast instead.
Old Nov 21st 2017, 6:23 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking more on the lines of how much uncooked bacon when cooked would equal the weight of the pre cooked bacon. Then once you consider the time involved in cooking bacon plus the grease clear up, it gets everywhere in the kitchen whether or not you can see it. I rarely buy bacon, it's over 50% fat, takes forever, and it's messy. Just go out for breakfast instead.
Lou's double smoked back bacon has very, very little fat - you have to add a tiny bit to cook it! (and it cooks in about 4 minutes)

Old Nov 21st 2017, 6:30 pm
Listen to the Music

I rarely buy bacon, it's over 50% fat, takes forever, and it's messy.
It's not the fat it's the water that slows cooking. It used to be the maxim of the meat industry.. 'Why sell meat when you can sell water..' and those polyphosphates, well they'll do the job nicely. No white residue, or goo as I like to call it, should be there after cooking and is a tell tale that something's not right.
Old Nov 21st 2017, 6:38 pm
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Lou's double smoked back bacon has very, very little fat - you have to add a tiny bit to cook it! (and it cooks in about 4 minutes)

Yep, Ive had that, not keen though.

It's not the fat it's the water that slows cooking. It used to be the maxim of the meat industry.. 'Why sell meat when you can sell water..' and those polyphosphates, well they'll do the job nicely. No white residue, or goo as I like to call it, should be there after cooking and is a tell tale that something's not right.
I hear you. There are a few places to buy the real stuff but it costs $$

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.