Price matching!!

Old Sep 9th 2017, 12:32 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Price matching!!

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I just try to fit it in in the normal course of events and it's really not difficult.
I'm struggling to apply this idea to real life. I suppose that the process is that you're in a shop, you walk to the counter with your goods and then you say

"I could have got this cheaper across the road"

I picture myself, laden with cheese at the counter in the Olympic

"piss off then, go and buy it across the road"

says the owner.

And I slink away, knowing that I'm in the shop because that's the best shop, if I wanted the crap they peddle cheap across the road I'd be standing there in the first place.

It can only work if you're buying some product they sell everywhere. And in that case I'd already have a pallet of it from Costco and I wouldn't care if I could have saved .00001 dollars because I've supported a reputable shop.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I'm struggling to apply this idea to real life. I suppose that the process is that you're in a shop, you walk to the counter with your goods and then you say

"I could have got this cheaper across the road"

I picture myself, laden with cheese at the counter in the Olympic

"piss off then, go and buy it across the road"

says the owner.

And I slink away, knowing that I'm in the shop because that's the best shop, if I wanted the crap they peddle cheap across the road I'd be standing there in the first place.

It can only work if you're buying some product they sell everywhere. And in that case I'd already have a pallet of it from Costco and I wouldn't care if I could have saved .00001 dollars because I've supported a reputable shop.
They even do it in Walmart where prices are low in the first place!
Old Sep 9th 2017, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
I got caught yet again today! in Canadian Superstore.... it was that bad I had to vacate my position and join another line....I even had some aknowledging "yeah what the hell? rolls of eyes" from other customers!

I mean really if a few cents matters than much why are you in Superstore in the first place, I like Superstore as it has the best selection of everthing, but its not the cheapest. And you have these articles in front tryng to save 5 bucks on a $100 grocery bill! I mean other than annoying people what is the bloody point!!!

Last edited by Paul_Shepherd; Sep 9th 2017 at 12:56 am.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 1:16 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I'm struggling to apply this idea to real life.
It's really quite simple. I don't know why a man of your talents finds it difficult.

It's Thursday and you're shopping at Superstore on Friday. The flyer week runs Thursday to Wednesday.

You happen to notice that the bog rolls that you like to buy are $10 in Sobeys but $18 in Superstore. As well as that you need laundry detergent. It's $8 at Sobeys but $12 at Superstore.

Now, next Tuesday you have a doctor's appointment. Or any other appointment. Or you're seeing a client. Any number of things and there's a Sobeys just around the corner.

You're there anyway. So why not save yourself $12 on these two items. You could buy an extra piece of cheese with it.

In reality of course there will be other savings and you can add some wine to the extra cheese.

A couple of days later you go to the liquor store to buy that wine with the money saved. Ah, but hang on, next to the liquor store is a different supermarket and you've seen they're selling beef tenderloin for $6 lb rather than the usual $18 lb. Why not pop in and get some?
Old Sep 9th 2017, 1:05 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
It's really quite simple. I don't know why a man of your talents finds it difficult.

It's Thursday and you're shopping at Superstore on Friday. The flyer week runs Thursday to Wednesday.

You happen to notice that the bog rolls that you like to buy are $10 in Sobeys but $18 in Superstore. As well as that you need laundry detergent. It's $8 at Sobeys but $12 at Superstore.

Now, next Tuesday you have a doctor's appointment. Or any other appointment. Or you're seeing a client. Any number of things and there's a Sobeys just around the corner.

You're there anyway. So why not save yourself $12 on these two items. You could buy an extra piece of cheese with it.

In reality of course there will be other savings and you can add some wine to the extra cheese.

A couple of days later you go to the liquor store to buy that wine with the money saved. Ah, but hang on, next to the liquor store is a different supermarket and you've seen they're selling beef tenderloin for $6 lb rather than the usual $18 lb. Why not pop in and get some?
It all seems a huge faff. My method, for routine items, is to write a list of things needed, go to Costco, buy things, if they didn't have it go to Loblaws, buy it there. The price of the item at Sobeys doesn't matter to me because I'm not going to Sobeys, it's not near Costco.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 1:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by DandNHill
I find it difficult to imagine myself haggling over flyers in a Walmart.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I find it difficult to imagine myself haggling over flyers in a Walmart.
People do... Walmart is the closest grocery store to us. So for practical reasons we go there. I keep telling myself not to!!
Old Sep 9th 2017, 1:35 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

It all seems a huge faff. My method, for routine items, is to write a list of things needed, go to Costco, buy things, if they didn't have it go to Loblaws, buy it there. The price of the item at Sobeys doesn't matter to me because I'm not going to Sobeys, it's not near Costco.
So you're actually in the situation where you can do it then.

You have your list, if it's not in Costco you go to Loblaws. So you buy some things in Costco and some things in Loblaws.

Is that so different having your list, an awareness of the price differences and buying some things in Costco and some things in Loblaws.

I'm mystified why it's a huge faff when you are at both stores anyway.

It's almost as if if you go out of your way to spend more than you need.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 3:09 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Got an app for that (shopping list). Very handy. You write down your items and they become check boxes that appear in bold on at the top of the page, until checked where they grey out and appear at the bottom. Saves trying to remember items all the time.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
I got caught yet again today! in Canadian Superstore.... it was that bad I had to vacate my position and join another line....I even had some aknowledging "yeah what the hell? rolls of eyes" from other customers!
I was at the RCSS (Real Canadian Super Store) this morning and none of my items were cheaper at the competitors via the Flipp app.

The lady in front of me seemed to have a number of items that she was getting savings on and she seemed happy about her savings. She told me she had saved about $14 on a before savings $150 bill. My respect for her diminished when I saw all of the kale and juice cleanse drinks she had bought.